Sign in to follow this  
iFlySimX

Limited by MainThread

14 minutes ago, Mace said:

To give you an idea about the effect of cpu -- I'm currently running a clocked 8700K with my 3080TI and I too generally run a TLOD @ 200 at 4K, and I haven't tested Edinburgh, but I know I would not get 55 fps there.  I'm cpu limited currently.   Typically if I unlock frames, I get around 45-50 fps in a sparse area, and 35-40 in a dense area.   I only unlock for testing because 30 fps locked is smoother with my present rig.  @Bam2000 I too would like to know if you are limiting to 40 in Nvidia CPL or via RTSS or some other method.

I do own an aftermarket Edinburgh scenery (I think I do anyway, it's either Edinburgh or Glasglow -- the one with the purple-lighted tower) but I haven't had a chance to performance test at Edinburgh.

I did some testing when I first built this new PC and if I am flying GA, TBM or Longitude I can maintain 60FPS with Ultra settings at airports like Edinburgh. With the Fenix it is a different story, just way better to lock the frames @ 30 which is the aircraft I typically fly and I haven't found a situation yet that I cannot hold a solid 30fps with Ultra settings and all traffic maxed out. Even flying in to Heathrow the other day with live traffic it is solid. I cannot maintain 60fps in the Fenix without dropping the settings. Typically what I do is turn Vsync on in NVCP then use RTSS to lock frames to either 30 or 60 depending on what I am flying. The beauty of this is you can change it on the fly. I do not use any of the Vsync options in the sim. One thing for sure is I do not think I have seen my 12700K go above 50% period since I have had it no matter which aircraft I fly with every single setting pushed to the max That's why I was surprised that a few other posters have seen the 12700K's hit 100% unless I am misunderstanding them.

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

1 hour ago, RJC68 said:

I did some testing when I first built this new PC and if I am flying GA, TBM or Longitude I can maintain 60FPS with Ultra settings at airports like Edinburgh. With the Fenix it is a different story, just way better to lock the frames @ 30 which is the aircraft I typically fly and I haven't found a situation yet that I cannot hold a solid 30fps with Ultra settings and all traffic maxed out. Even flying in to Heathrow the other day with live traffic it is solid. I cannot maintain 60fps in the Fenix without dropping the settings. Typically what I do is turn Vsync on in NVCP then use RTSS to lock frames to either 30 or 60 depending on what I am flying. The beauty of this is you can change it on the fly. I do not use any of the Vsync options in the sim. One thing for sure is I do not think I have seen my 12700K go above 50% period since I have had it no matter which aircraft I fly with every single setting pushed to the max That's why I was surprised that a few other posters have seen the 12700K's hit 100% unless I am misunderstanding them.

Try to depart from KJFK in Fenix 320 and then fly directly to Manhattan very low, barely over the Empire building, you"ll see how your 12700K is utilized.

Edited by AboveAtlantic
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RJC68 said:

Performance wise isn't the 3080TI pretty much on par with the 3090?

Performance wise maybe, but the extra Vram on the 3090 is certainly helping DX12.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mace said:

To give you an idea about the effect of cpu -- I'm currently running a clocked 8700K with my 3080TI and I too generally run a TLOD @ 200 at 4K, and I haven't tested Edinburgh, but I know I would not get 55 fps there.  I'm cpu limited currently.   Typically if I unlock frames, I get around 45-50 fps in a sparse area, and 35-40 in a dense area.   I only unlock for testing because 30 fps locked is smoother with my present rig.  @Bam2000 I too would like to know if you are limiting to 40 in Nvidia CPL or via RTSS or some other method.

I do own an aftermarket Edinburgh scenery (I think I do anyway, it's either Edinburgh or Glasglow -- the one with the purple-lighted tower) but I haven't had a chance to performance test at Edinburgh.

@micstatic Limiting with rtss to 40fps

Edited by Bam2000

I tried this with an AMD 5900x with no issues.   3070TI is maxed as usual but still great frames.  No PG also.  Due to the cache size I still think that AMD is the best way to go for MSFS.

sp

Edited by Sky_Pilot071

8 hours ago, RJC68 said:

Interesting, we have similar setups

Performance wise isn't the 3080TI pretty much on par with the 3090?

I just loaded the TBM on Runway 24 at Edinburgh airport with ultra settings, live weather and TLOD @ 200 at 4K and my overall CPU is sitting around 18% and GPU at 96% with around 55fps

18 percent doesn’t mean much. That’s a measure of your overall usage. You need to look over core. One maxed out core can cause you to be limited by cpu 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

12 hours ago, micstatic said:

18 percent doesn’t mean much. That’s a measure of your overall usage. You need to look over core. One maxed out core can cause you to be limited by cpu 

Ah I see, I was wondering if a single core was being referred too,

I have been super happy with the 12700k & 3080TI, I will take a look at the individual cores next time I fly

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

Just a technical remark to this discussion:

Some of the users here are stating they are limiting the FPS to 30 or even 20 and that they are super happy with the fluidity. Other users (like me) can't understand, because anything under 40 fps is in their eyes unbearable.

The first group of course refers to limiting FPS in the sim and not in NCP or RTSS. But they often do not mention the refresh rate of their panels. We all know MSFS limit of 30 FPS on 120 Hz panel or 144 Hz panel means they effectively attempt to run with 60 or even 77 fps. No wonder it's fluid in a sparse scenery.

All this is very well known to most, I am just saying FPS limit in MSFS shall be mentioned with the monitor refresh rate to avoid further confusion...

• Like 1

Intel i7-10700K OC 5.0 GHz | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB OC 2145 MHz | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming | AiO cooler Corsair H115i Pro XT 2x140 mm | Corsair RM850x 850W Gold | Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow | Monitor 32" LG UltraGear 32GK850G G-Sync 1440p

Yeah, fortunately in SU10 that setting has been corrected and now it reports the percentage of the refresh rate.

• Like 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

Oddly enough I can’t completely eliminate the “Limited by Main Thread” no matter how much I lower every setting, and lock fps at 30, on my i9 9900k oc at 5ghz… 

Chris Camp

5 minutes ago, Kilo60 said:

Oddly enough I can’t completely eliminate the “Limited by Main Thread” no matter how much I lower every setting, and lock fps at 30, on my i9 9900k oc at 5ghz… 

You are not alone, same with the i9-9900k OC at 5ghz...

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

1 hour ago, Kilo60 said:

Try and raise gpu settings, such as render scale. Then you should become gpu limited….? 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

AMD 5800x / 5900x is the answer IMO.  Intel is so 80's lol.

sp

Edited by Sky_Pilot071