Sign in to follow this  
Mace

Best Airbus for FSX?

Guest triangle

Hello - My g/f is obsessed with the airbus and insists I fly one in FSX (it's not enough that she gets to laugh at me when I use my TrackIR or when I 'pay for clouds'). However, i'm exclusively a prop flyer (Cessna, Beechcraft etc) so two questions:1) What is the best airbus, payware or freeware, available for FSX; and2) How hard these jets to learn to fly (and that includes landing!!)?Thanks in advanceAndrew

I think the best one is on its way. Airliners XPhttp://www.airlinerxp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=163http://www.airlinerxp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9But you better start downloading and start reading the manuals now. :)Well..I was like you for a long time. and stayed away from big airliners. But I liked the CS 727 and I hand flew it for a while and then I went to PMDG 747 and spent time learning all the system. It took a while for me to figure out the systems an all. But in the meanwhile you can still try to hand fly the sucker and have a good time.It really all depends on Turorials the vendor puts out or the fans put out.I never could figure out the Flight 1's lovely ATR-500 cause I never found a good tutorial for it. But the PMDG 747 has quite a few tutorial that helped. Hopefully Airliners XP Airbus would have some good tutorials right after they release their product.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I never could figure out the Flight 1's lovely ATR-500 cause I never found a good tutorial for it. That's a real shame because the ATR is one of the best aircraft ever developed for FS9, and one of my absolute favorites too. It's actually very easy to fly, it just looks intimidating.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

I have tried to fly feelthere's airbus volume1 and have had some problems. I think it may be vista incompatibility but I have not pursued it yet. Now that the Level-D is here it may take me awhile to investigate. Having said that I did fly it in FS9 and over all I would say it is above average and worth it. I don't know what AirlinerXP's will be like because it is simply not out. I can guarantee you that PMDG's version will be unbelievable, but it may be awhile before it is out. From what I have read you may want to wait for AirlinerXp's version it sounds and looks pretty good . Learning the aircraft will depend on your general knowledge of aircraft. If you can handle your way around a the Boeing systems it shouldn't be too hard to learn the Airbus. These are incredibly sophisticated representations and I am always learning something new about the aircraft I fly.

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Guest triangle

Cheers, guys, figured it would require some learning but that's fine by me. Feedback *much* appreciated.Andrew

Guest yarvelling

If you're new to flying the 'heavies', why not start with the default A321? Get to know the basic FS systems involved, anf flying IFR before jumping into any of the above mentioned aircraft, which may look overwhelming if you're not used to some of the concepts.There are several good repaints of R/W airlines available so that the A321 will look more convincing!After that, perhaps look to the payware Overland/Simmers Sky World Airlines package which features several very nice Airbus versions; all a little more sophisticated than the default, but still not such a steep learning curve. The Overland versions feature beautiful models, very nicely configured VC's, and are easy on frame-rates.

Guest triangle

Ok - the A321 sounds like a plan ... reading up on heavies is sort of like watering your curiosity - it just grows and grows.Andrew

If your gonna start flying the heavies with the default fsx aircraft my advice is to start with the boeing or bombardier. The default A321 can be a real pain at first if your not used to fying the big iron.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

On the other hand... flying the FSX Airbus is more close to flying the Cessna than to flying an add-on Airbus. If you know what I mean. Okay, flying a default Cessna isn't EXACTLY the same as flying a default airliner, but the FSX systems are so simplified that it will be a similar big step to an addon airliner nonetheless. I think. And it may also confuse you: getting used to the FSX way of flying in the Airbus and then having to get used to the way it's supposed to be flown. ;)Apart from that: I made the step from airliners (flown all the good and big ones) to the smaller aircraft. Currently I solely fly the default Cessna 172 which is pretty good for a default plane. I've gone from IFR to VFR, so to speak, mainly because the world looks great in FSX (and it will only get better with Flight and Ground Environment and UTX Europe!). In a small aircraft I actually get the idea I am flying! But I have to say the Airliner XP project got me interested in airliners again. Now THAT is looking like the real thing! It's for FS9 only though, the FSX version will be released (hopefully) later this year (of even next year). Pity. But since I hardly ever look out of the window while flying the biggies, I consider installing FS9 just for the Airliner XP airbus and keep FSX for my VFR-flights. Which also will give me the necessary fps-headroom, because I expect the Airbus to bring FSX to it's knees: FS9 shouldn't be a problem on my new rig...

Personally I would start in either the A321 or the 737-800. Preferably the Airbus. People think it is hard to fly the Airbus, that is because it is...before you turn off the computer assisted flight controls. After they are off it handles almost like an aerobatics plane (well not quite that good;-)).All you need to do is turn of one of the flight control compters, you can do that by opening the overhead panel and looking on the right side of it. There are three identical square buttons, click the one that says "Sec 3" to off. Personally, I think that the CRJ is harder to fly than the A321. It doesn't handle as well and it isn't as sturdy or forgiving.

Why not have her learn the 'bus and you can stick to what you like? Anyone that obsessed would surely be happier just doing it herself.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

>But you better start downloading and start reading the manuals>now. :)>Where can you download the manual for the AirlinerXP A320?RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB