Sign in to follow this  
MrBitstFlyer

Tobii Eye Tracker

The issue is that the distance sitting from the tv means it didn’t work. Also, the way it’s mounted was totally inconvenient and not possible if using a yoke, as it sat below the tv and not above like track IR meanings it’s field of sight was blocked. And the eye tracking felt like a gimmick to me. It’s an expensive version of track IR. Of course this is just my opinion . 

Have you played with the IR filter settings? I have a pretty bright window behind me and after playing with those settings, it seems to have figured it out. 

• Like 1

I used both, prefer tobii, using it on a 32” monitor with no issues. I have it mounted on the bottom of my monitor, using a honeycomb yoke and there is no interference with line of site. I do keep the eye tracking off, but even then I prefer tobii as I dont have to wear anything on my head, which is a huge bonus for me, might not be for others, but sure is for me. 

• Like 3

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

When I took my motorcycle driving test the instructor asked why I didn't look right or left at intersections and I said peripfheral vision and he said to look right or left anyway.

sp

Edited by Sky_Pilot071

10 minutes ago, Sky_Pilot071 said:

When I took my motorcycle driving test the instructor asked why I didn't look right or left at intersections and I said peripfheral vision and he said to look right or left anyway.

sp

In Canada, It’s unnatural the amount of head movement they look for on the road test… now I want to go riding some! 

Edited by flyinpilot212121
  • Like 1

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

8 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Wow, no matter how wrong you are, you just keep insisting your right.  Funny.....

By the way , what is this.......   https://www.tobiipro.com/siteassets/tobii-pro/user-manuals/tobii-pro-tx300-eye-tracker-user-manual.pdf

That's the manual for an different, much older (c 2011?) and discontinued product.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Doesn’t work On a 38 widescreen, nor on a 45, 55 or 65 inch ‘big’ screen. But you’d know this if you’d searched the forum instead of posting antagonising posts. 

see post above.....  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I read somewhere the IR light from devices like this eye tracker constantly being focused on your eyes is not good for long term eye health.

Edited by B777ER
  • Like 1

Eric 

33 minutes ago, CombatCustard said:

see post above.....  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What about it? Someone had a different opinion? That’s why it’s a debate. What do you want, a lolly? 
Have you actually even tried it on a large screen yourself? 

42 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

What about it? Someone had a different opinion? That’s why it’s a debate. What do you want, a lolly? 
Have you actually even tried it on a large screen yourself? 

you said it doesn't wok on large screens, that's not an opinion, that's a demonstrable assertion of fact and what the hell is a "lolly"? also, lolly is a funny word so i hope it's something funny, like an animal with a long furry neck and giant feet.

Edited by CombatCustard

From the discussion so far the Tobii sounds right for me.  My biggest problem with TrackIR is sunlight interfering with tracking - even sunlight through curtains affects it.  My monitor is 27inch so is compatible. 

My yoke is mounted under the desk so no issue with blocking line of sight. Not having to have the ProClip on the headset with its associated cable is also a plus.

• Like 2

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

18 hours ago, CombatCustard said:

people are weird, people in here are more weird

Love it! Maybe this should be the Avsim motto - I can see it splashed proudly across the top of each screen. And I'd be happy to wear the t-shirt! (I didn't say I'd wear it outside though <grin>)

Oh, and before anybody goes off on one this is not a reference to anybody in this thread. I just loved the phrasing.

And on topic, I've got both the TrackIR and Tobii 5. Never used the Track IR after a couple of months (got it back in P3D days) as I realised I don't like wearing stuff on my head, and bought the Tobii before it was supported in MSFS. Disconnected it and haven't tried it since, but might do that again soon. Not interested in the eye tracking aspect, as as far as I know there's nothing you can do with it in MSFS and anyway I'm not sure I want to fly around winking at my buttons, so to speak. I do like the idea of moving the view with my head movements though.

Edited by andy1252
text

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

2 hours ago, CombatCustard said:

what the hell is a "lolly"? also, lolly is a funny word so i hope it's something funny, like an animal with a long furry neck and giant feet.

🙂 I'm not sure where you're from but In the UK lolly is short for ice lolly, which I believe would translate to popsicle in US English - just about as far from "an animal with a long furry neck and giant feet" as you can get.

• Like 1

Ian Box

1 hour ago, andy1252 said:

Love it! Maybe this should be the Avsim motto - I can see it splashed proudly across the top of each screen. And I'd be happy to wear the t-shirt! (I didn't say I'd wear it outside though <grin>)

Oh, and before anybody goes off on one this is not a reference to anybody in this thread. I just loved the phrasing.

And on topic, I've got both the TrackIR and Tobii 5. Never used the Track IR after a couple of months (got it back in P3D days) as I realised I don't like wearing stuff on my head, and bought the Tobii before it was supported in MSFS. Disconnected it and haven't tried it since, but might do that again soon. Not interested in the eye tracking aspect, as as far as I know there's nothing you can do with it in MSFS and anyway I'm not sure I want to fly around winking at my buttons, so to speak. I do like the idea of moving the view with my head movements though.

it doesn't work like that, you just move your head as normal, no winking at buttons or some such, if only