Sign in to follow this  
Datalink

OOOPS!!!!

The summary of a UK AAIB report into an incident involving a Casa 1-131E Series 2000 Jungmann and a Stolp Starduster SA 100 very simply states:"Two tailwheel aircraft landed at this unlicenced airfield at the same time but on reciprocal runways and subsequently collided in the centre of the airfield."

Sounds nasty, we're the pilots OK?While doing my FAA PPL checkride, I was doing a touch and go at an uncontrolled airport and had another aircraft doing the same thing on the recipocal end! My examiner had me under the hood vectoring me around and directed me to an uncontrolled airport. He had set the radios to speed things up, but I confirmed they were correct, and was making the radio calls, and announced my intentions as to what runway I was planning on. After I had just lifted off, we had a cessna approaching from the other end, who had not made a single radio call, however we had a lot of time, and speed was low so there was no real danger, but I was a bit shocked to see it happen.

Alaister Kay