Sign in to follow this  
hychewright

Flat Screen or Curved for MSFS?

On 7/16/2022 at 3:32 AM, hychewright said:

So what you are saying that the cockpit in the aircraft is curved also on the screen? Does anybody notice this on your screen?

Not exactly, the lines of the cockpit are following the curvature of the screen. But that makes an otherwise straight line appear to be curved, especially near the top and bottom edge of the screen. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hychewright said:

From most of the answers I see that those who do have curved screens seem to really like them with the exception of a few.

I've had multiple high end flat screens over the past many years for flight simulators and would never trade in the Dell 34" 3440x1440 curved display for another flat screen.  Curved screens especially when panning your view on an ultra-wide display match natural vision much better just think about it--plane cockpits are not flat!  There is no weird distorted geometry else no one would express the positive views you're seeing here.  My sincere advise to you is rather than depend on the opinions of others if you are in a place where you can buy and return one buy a curved screen first, try it and return it for a flat screen, or vice versa, and see what works best for you.  

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

12 hours ago, Nyxx said:

When I un boxed my G7 Samsung with its huge curve, I could not get past looking at the curve you see at the top and bottom of the screen and thought I was going to send it back. 
So I do understand completely why looking at the screen at first can be very off putting. But….and a big BUT…

What a mistake that would have been, after a day or two you’re brain gets use to it. I took my old 27” flat Samsung to work and now HATE even looking at it. The G7 32” is so good and I don’t even see the curve anymore and like I said flat screen look terrible now. 

It does not bend the VC at all, it’s just the screen wraps around you view. It does not distort the VC in anyway. The bottom of my view in the PMDG is the bottom of the the line that runs perfectly along the bottom of the screen. 

So to sum up the G7 has a huge curve and it’s very strange for the first day or two. But after that there’s no going back to flat screens. It’s Stunning and so much easier on the eyes and the picture quality is beautiful. When I get home from work and switch on the G7 I always think “ now that’s how a screen should look” .

Very informative Nyxx. I was wondering if the curved screen deformed the VC in any way. Thanks for that Nyxx.

Regards

Lamar Wright

4 hours ago, daowl24 said:

Not exactly, the lines of the cockpit are following the curvature of the screen. But that makes an otherwise straight line appear to be curved, especially near the top and bottom edge of the screen. 

Understand now daowl24, thanks for your explanation it helped a lot.

Regards

Lamar Wright

4 hours ago, Noel said:

I've had multiple high end flat screens over the past many years for flight simulators and would never trade in the Dell 34" 3440x1440 curved display for another flat screen.  Curved screens especially when panning your view on an ultra-wide display match natural vision much better just think about it--plane cockpits are not flat!  There is no weird distorted geometry else no one would express the positive views you're seeing here.  My sincere advise to you is rather than depend on the opinions of others if you are in a place where you can buy and return one buy a curved screen first, try it and return it for a flat screen, or vice versa, and see what works best for you.  

Well stated Noel, very good idea and great advice!

Regards

Lamar Wright

I don't think I could go to one of those ultra wide monitors due to the resolution tradeoff.  I think I'm too used to true 4k now

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

15 hours ago, Nyxx said:

When I un boxed my G7 Samsung with its huge curve, I could not get past looking at the curve you see at the top and bottom of the screen and thought I was going to send it back. 
So I do understand completely why looking at the screen at first can be very off putting. But….and a big BUT…

What a mistake that would have been, after a day or two you’re brain gets use to it. I took my old 27” flat Samsung to work and now HATE even looking at it. The G7 32” is so good and I don’t even see the curve anymore and like I said flat screen look terrible now. 

It does not bend the VC at all, it’s just the screen wraps around you view. It does not distort the VC in anyway. The bottom of my view in the PMDG is the bottom of the the line that runs perfectly along the bottom of the screen. 

So to sum up the G7 has a huge curve and it’s very strange for the first day or two. But after that there’s no going back to flat screens. It’s Stunning and so much easier on the eyes and the picture quality is beautiful. When I get home from work and switch on the G7 I always think “ now that’s how a screen should look” .

Completely agree with this.  The Samsung G7 has quite an aggressive curve, so it looks extreme on first look.  I've had it for a couple of months now and love it.  It is also HDR600, so although there are the occasional small blown out areas in MSFS, the scene is much more lifelike.

I don't notice any distortions in MSFS or any other game.  A curved screen is more natural to look at because the world isn't flat 🙂  I would never go back to a flat monitor or one without HDR.

• Upvote 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

2 hours ago, micstatic said:

I don't think I could go to one of those ultra wide monitors due to the resolution tradeoff.  I think I'm too used to true 4k now

Check out DELL 4021QW or LG 40WP95C, no resolution tradeoff and only adds extra width horizontally to a 32'' standard 4K screen.

I'm using 4021QW and absolutely loving it with MSFS.

57 minutes ago, AboveAtlantic said:

Check out DELL 4021QW or LG 40WP95C, no resolution tradeoff and only adds extra width horizontally to a 32'' standard 4K screen.

I'm using 4021QW and absolutely loving it with MSFS.

There is a trade off. This is 5120 x1440. I run  4k in 3840x2160

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

5 hours ago, micstatic said:

Do you ever think that you might like to try a curved screen?

Regards

Lamar Wright

Different strokes for different folks. I agree with Micstatic. After running a true 4k the past year it’s hard to go to anything else when playing the the flat panel vs vr. I’ve messed with a curved before and while the extra real estate on the width is nice, the lack of vertical resolution was off putting to me. Not saying one or the other is better, it was just my personal experience.

• Like 1

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

5 hours ago, micstatic said:

There is a trade off. This is 5120 x1440. I run  4k in 3840x2160

Not sure about your resource but according to DELL and LG official sites and my own user experience,  DELL 4021QW and LG 40WP95C are both WUHD 5120 x 2160. 

And I'm completely with you on the resolution trade off thing as I was on a DELL U3219Q 32'' 4K 3840x2160 before I made the transition to 4021QW. So basically any ultra-wide screen with less than 2160 vertical pixels is unaccptable to me.

Here are the spec links to these only two 5K by 2K ultra wide monitors on the market.

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/dell-ultrasharp-40-curved-wuhd-monitor-u4021qw/apd/210-ayjf/monitors-monitor-accessories#techspecs_section

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-40wp95c-w

FYI

Edited by AboveAtlantic
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CaptainNick said:

Different strokes for different folks. I agree with Micstatic. After running a true 4k the past year it’s hard to go to anything else when playing the the flat panel vs vr. I’ve messed with a curved before and while the extra real estate on the width is nice, the lack of vertical resolution was off putting to me. Not saying one or the other is better, it was just my personal experience.

Completely agree, that's why I made my choice with 4021QW