Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

UK Met Office first extreme heat warning.

25 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

cold front arrives Tuesday night and Wednesday onwards looks to be back to normal. Hooray!

Every evening this past week we’ve gone down to the beach for a swim. 
Back to normal? That means horizontal rain and even the seagulls walking 😟.

Edited by DD_Arthur

Just now, DD_Arthur said:

Back to normal? That means horizontal rain and even the seagulls walking 😟.

I wish! Rain really needed up here where we’ve only had 1.7” since the start of June.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Just now, Ray Proudfoot said:

I wish! Rain really needed up here where we’ve only had 1.7” since the start of June.

In Cheshire? Yeah, that is unusual.

What are reservoir levels like up there? Here in the south west we’ve had a generally cool but dry spring. 
The trend generally down here seems to be milder, wetter winters that have kept reservoir levels healthy for the following slightly drier spring.

I’m a member of the Norman Lockyer Observatory Society. We have a weather station but I must confess my only interest in that part of the observatory is “will we have clear skies tonight?”

@DD_Arthur, we get our water from the Lake District so probably not too bad. No hosepipe restrictions yet. We had a lot of rain in Feb and May so the total is only just below the average as you can see here... http://www.cheadlehulmeweather.co.uk/NOAA.php?yr=2022

I used to be into astronomy in Norwich but the Cheshire skies are not that good.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 7/16/2022 at 12:00 PM, birdguy said:

At Twentynine Palms we used to go sidewinder hunting in 105 F heat with no more than a long sleeve shirt and a canteen full of water.

Noel

Would anyone expect differently from The Corp?😁

Bill W

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Martin, the humidity has made it bearable - just. Too hot to sit in the sun though. Max looks to be 36.8°C beating the previous record by 1.4C.

Might be slightly less hot tomorrow here but cold front arrives Tuesday night and Wednesday onwards looks to be back to normal. Hooray!

30 degrees where my PC is... so I'm now going to fire up COD and see how much additional heat my RTX 3090 can billow out. Mad dogs and Englishmen... 👍

We Brits are hard... and stupid.  

Edited by martin-w

@martin-w, wow! I haven’t turned mine on for a couple of weeks. 

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

40 minutes ago, martin-w said:

30 degrees where my PC is... so I'm now going to fire up COD and see how much additional heat my RTX 3090 can billow out. Mad dogs and Englishmen... 👍

We Brits are hard... and stupid.  

My office pushes 30c when I'm loading up my GPU by flight simming or gaming too. Makes the room totally unbearable. I've had to stop simming until the temperature outside cools down a bit. #firstworldproblem 😆.  

26 minutes ago, james42 said:

My office pushes 30c when I'm loading up my GPU by flight simming or gaming too. Makes the room totally unbearable. I've had to stop simming until the temperature outside cools down a bit. #firstworldproblem 😆.  

Just done a few rounds of frantic COD. PC handled the temp well. Now I'm going to swim back downstairs in my own fluids. 

My office pushes 30c when I'm loading up my GPU by flight simming or gaming too.

Was 30 before I started, god knows what it is now. No fan either. Awesome sauna. 

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

Just to provide some historical perspective on heat waves, I found some interesting graphs for the USA:

2jguxl8.png

URDYY4p.jpg

Looks like there were more of these early in the 20th century.  I wonder if data like this is available for Europe?

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

Check out this BBC weather broadcast from August 2003:

I wonder if the current heat wave is worse than that one?

Dave

Edited by dave2013

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

6 hours ago, dave2013 said:

Check out this BBC weather broadcast from August 2003:

I wonder if the current heat wave is worse than that one?

Dave

The maximum forecast was 33°C compared to the 37.1 recorded yesterday. But humidity was never mentioned and that makes a huge difference. Yesterday my station recorded only 20% humidity making it very dry air and therefore more bearable.

So you cannot use air temperature alone to measure the intensity of the heat. It was certainly a hot summer but this brief spell in 2022 will eclipse it simply for the highest temps we’re experiencing.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

59 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

compared to the 37.1 recorded yesterday.

The record is Cambrige 2019 isn't it Ray? 38.7C I recall.

22 in Guernsey at moment but then cooling down significantly. Right down to 17

Birmingham though, forecast for 38c. 

Standby for the impresive thunderstorms to follow.

Edited by martin-w

10 minutes ago, martin-w said:

The record is Cambrige 2019 isn't it Ray? 38.7C I recall.

Correct. That will almost certainly go today. It’s already 27°C in my garden no doubt due to the complete absence of any wind. Unless there is some cloud cover later my 36.8°C may also go today.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Wales saw its record beaten yesterday and my neighbour Jersey has had its record broken.

I guess we should be grateful we don't live in the South of France where thousands are evacuating due to the fires. The French authorites are calling it "an apocalypse of heat".

Edited by martin-w