Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Wizard of Oz

Blurries:vocabulary and Type 3 investigation

>Oh, I must have missed that part....>>Then this article isn't for the people who have real>blurries...>>Just the people that think they have them while suspended in>air.No, that is completely incorrect. The point being made is that at the most basic level of rendering, there will always be some "blurries" simply because of the mechanics of rendering in 3d space.If this is true even "while suspended in air," why whould it suddenly be any different when actually moving? *:-* The next levels up from this "pre-blurred static image" are what Phil refers to as Type 1 and Type 2, which can - and do - exacerbate the issue.The main point of Phil's extensive explanation is simply this: because of the way the static image is rendered in 3d space, there will always be a certain amount of "bluriness" present. Period. Full Stop. ;)Please folks, let's all use more logic and less rhetoric... :-beerchug

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Looking at the article I understand that some blurries (type 3) are unavoidable. Notting wrong with that but...In all types of blurries (even type 3) you can clearly see the tiles in different level of blurriness. To me this says that the tile rendering system plays a role in the blurry problem. Correct me if I'm wrong but if it was just LOD, distance, filterning, angle and zoom factors we would not be able to spot the different tiles.Other (combat, civil) flightsims have their own blurries but in those I can only spot the tiles by looking for repeating patterns. Its only the FS series where I can see difference in blurry levels and this is not in the detail rings as designed its all over the place.

simcheck_sig_banner_retro.jpg

I think that some blurred textures, surrounded by clear textures, is due to the angle of a hill's slope and the distance from the aircraft. I find that some hills blur within flat areas while flying low. Also, on my system the textures are less clear while in motion even with 20fps or better. Hit pause and they look better even if they are not blurred. Use top-down and you can only wish they looked that good and they may on better PCs.Regards,Dick BoleyA PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yoke

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

>Hey that looks like Solar's RealAir screenshot hahah!It is! Whoohoo I'm famous! lol

Guest etheberge

Wow, +10 respect.Great explanation-Erik T.

Yes, its possible that location, altitude, and orientation is having an effect. Some blurriness in flight, beyond what I have shown, is still normal due to the way our visual perception works. As you are flying, in addition to the effects I showed in this article, you also have the fact that absolute location and orientation is changing wrt the screen rectangle. And changing at n frames a second. This means where a texel was last frame is different then where it is this frame. This "motion" coupled with our "persistence of vision" does tend towards a less sharp effect. when you stop, both the image and our visual systems' perception of it "snaps in". Normal.Top down is essentially an orthographic projection, different math touches the vertex data which then impacts the screenspace location of the vertices, which then impacts the uv coordinates used to fetch the texels. This has major impact and the result is just different.

On the issue (or more correct, explanation) of type 3, does the detail1.bmp file still get used to induce noise into tiles?scott s..

If you set the detail check to on, yes the detail textures are blended in.And I didnt even mention that, but yes that can contribute as well.

Guest The Wizard of Oz

Phil,You have described 4 types of blurries in your article:There are at least four types of blurries going around; let

Interesting, and first I have heard that TileProxy ( or other photo-scenery ) doesnt catch up.I wonder if that is just a lower mip, and if your video memory is overcommitted.If you reduce global texture resolution and terrain texture resolution, do you get to where it catches up?

I've experienced the same. Reducing the global texure resolution and terrain texture resolution just makes everything blurry from the start on my rig with tileproxy-putting them to the max at least allows crystal clear textures-at least for a while-till they start to blur..http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

yes yes yes...I get the point....Are you joking about the moving part? Seriously, when you don't move the tiles have a chance to load. When you do move, they don't, at least on my PC....and same goes for many others with PC's much more powerful than mine. I'm talking quad core users etc....lol.... ....nm edited by meOnce again, very interesting read Phil, thanks for the hard work....

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest jcmckeown

Phil,Pleased to hear that you guys are finally investigating on the type 1 & 2 that occurs with FS9 style scenery with lots of small tiles. Thanks for keeping us updated. If you need help testing anything you know who to call...Rgds,JC

Hi AllVeerrry interesting, as it is not TileProxy alone doing this.As I was doing some blurry-tests/tweaking the other day, I saw something like that: Take-off from KSEA (FSX default scenery), still pretty low, I saw something like that: Sharp textures right behind/below the aircraft, then a more blurred section, then sharp again. Sort a blurry 'insert'Actually I though I was seeing things.I will try to see if I can get a screenshot.BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH