Sign in to follow this  
gianmarcoragazzoni

Flickering FS20

Hi,
I wanted to ask the most experienced for advice on how to solve the flickering that I encounter with FS20, especially with distant buildings or objects.
Currently I have an Nvidia RTX 2070 Super Rog Strix, screen resolution and sim 1920x1080, Asus monitor of about 6 years ago 60hz (I don't remember the model), Intel I7-8700K processor, 32gb of ram.
With the settings of the sim I do not experience slowdowns using parameters on high and ultra, but only this annoying flickering.

Thanks.

30 minutes ago, gianmarcoragazzoni said:

Hi,
I wanted to ask the most experienced for advice on how to solve the flickering that I encounter with FS20, especially with distant buildings or objects.
Currently I have an Nvidia RTX 2070 Super Rog Strix, screen resolution and sim 1920x1080, Asus monitor of about 6 years ago 60hz (I don't remember the model), Intel I7-8700K processor, 32gb of ram.
With the settings of the sim I do not experience slowdowns using parameters on high and ultra, but only this annoying flickering.

Thanks.

Are you using TAA?

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

I've seen that in videos as well. I don't yet own FS2020 myself, but from what I can tell it looks like typical "Z-fighting".

This is a depth sorting problem of polygons. The graphics engine can't decide the drawing order of certain polygons,  and you get this annoying flicker.

If this is the case then the only ones who can fix it are Asobo.

Make sure you are using TAA antialiasing and also try increasing the resolution scale to 120-130%.

BTW if you want you can update to SU10 beta, it's stable and both TAA and DLSS modes have much more quality than before. There is still the occasional flickering of some airport buildings but less than before and the shimmering of distant buildings is 99% gone.

Edited by MrFuzzy

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5

23 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

BTW if you want you can update to SU10 beta, it's stable and both TAA and DLSS modes have much more quality than before. There is still the occasional flickering of some airport buildings but less than before and the shimmering of distant buildings is 99% gone.

Good news, and in that case a bit of patience is all that is required 😉

• Like 1

Bert

2 hours ago, gianmarcoragazzoni said:

I wanted to ask the most experienced for advice on how to solve the flickering that I encounter with FS20

Download the MSFS SU10 beta and use DX12 with DLSS at quality.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

13 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Download the MSFS SU10 beta and use DX12 with DLSS at quality.

People shouldn't just be downloading a beta to reap the benefits without testing and reporting. I haven't downloaded it because I know I don't have enough time to fill out reports or adequately test it. 

6 minutes ago, Bdub22 said:

People shouldn't just be downloading a beta to reap the benefits without testing and reporting. I haven't downloaded it because I know I don't have enough time to fill out reports or adequately test it. 

That only applies if we're talking limited slots. Nothing wrong in partaking in a public, freely available beta to use its features. There's a reason why it's so easy to get into, because Microsoft is still collecting data, even if you're not manually reporting anything. Everything helps. 

Edited by Sethos
  • Like 3

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

2 minutes ago, Sethos said:

Everything helps. 

Thats true. I didn't really think about it that way. In that they can still collect data without beta tester input. 

36 minutes ago, Bdub22 said:

I did.

It's the first beta I've tried for MSFS and I did so purely because of the benefits of DX12 and DLSS. It's like a whole new sim, I wouldn't want to go back now.

By using it multiple times a day since the SU10 beta release, Asobo have collected plenty of data and may or may not have benefited from various posts here and in the official forum which may or may not have fed back to them from myself and other users. I feel no obligation to (and have not been asked to) 'fill out reports' in return for using a public beta of a product I have paid for. 

Edited by St Mawgan
  • Like 1

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

1 hour ago, St Mawgan said:

I feel no obligation to (and have not been asked to) 'fill out reports' in return for using a public beta of a product I have paid for. 

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/read-first-welcome-to-sim-update-10-beta/507612

"Please remember this opportunity is for those who wish to provide feedback on the current state of the build, this is not for a sneak preview of the final build that will be released in August. Our goal is to fix any regressions you report as quickly as possible but please note that some bugs may be prioritized for a later update as we will not be able to fix every report found during the Beta window."

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

28 minutes ago, Alvega said:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/read-first-welcome-to-sim-update-10-beta/507612

"Please remember this opportunity is for those who wish to provide feedback on the current state of the build, this is not for a sneak preview of the final build that will be released in August. Our goal is to fix any regressions you report as quickly as possible but please note that some bugs may be prioritized for a later update as we will not be able to fix every report found during the Beta window."

'Opportunity'. 

Besides which, I have no issues to report! 

• Like 1

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

Well, if they are offering a public beta, then it is up to me to take the risk, whether I have time enough to test or report bugs or not.
There is no harm in it, and I make no excuses for trying the update early.  I Certainly don't feel guilty about it.  I was inquisitive about DLSS.

As others have said, I am reaping the rewards, and other than the well known bugs and deficiencies, I have nothing to report anyway.  This update will be a winner for sure.

• Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

7 hours ago, Bdub22 said:

I never suggested such a thing. Only the OP knows if he has the time.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home