Sign in to follow this  
Sims Smith

Laminar Research will broadcast live XP12 interview today.

May I? 😀 One more comparison (from Germany): Bild vs. Bild der Wissenschaft. Sounds very similar. Circulation of the first: 1,100,000 ("what the masses want"). And of the second: 60,000 ("fail" 🙃). The first one (in English: "image") is yellow press, the second (in English: "image of science") as the name says, a scientific publication. So - should Bild der Wissenschaft give up their business model and publish news about celebrities etc. (i.e., go the way towards "what the masses want")?

• Like 3

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

I stopped watching when he started telling the F-4 story for the forth time…

• Like 1

This whole interview event was terrible, and I blame the FSA organization for that. The setup of putting Austin together with Orbx CEO makes absolutely no sense. Why would you put these two together, if Orbx had no special partnership or announcement to make regarding XP12, other than a single airport scenery, which the developer said "is going to look good in XP12" ? 

It was very uncomfortable for all parts, clearly visible, including Austin. The difference is, Austin is an enthusiastic guy, and tried his best to keep the momentum, even with the most absurd kind of question that kept being made by the host. Like asking the Orbx CEO: "What kind of sports do you like?". Later he asked Austin if there was going to be an Orbx Global Product for XP12. Maybe you want to ask the Orbx CEO about that?

So, overall, it only served to hurt Laminar image toward the already biased MSFS2020 public, I wish these folks would be a little more professional when producing such events.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 4

Alexis Mefano

@Alec Well stated and 100% accurate! Minimal linkage between the participants (without pre-planning) does not make for a good conference interview (especially live) and it was easy to read the apprehension. I am sure the sponsors of the giveaways were hoping for a better result.

• Like 1

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level F-18 Hornet | Supersonic Medical Transport | Dubai to Abu Dhabi | First Mission in DCS World | 4K

1 hour ago, Doering said:

@Alec Well stated and 100% accurate! Minimal linkage between the participants (without pre-planning) does not make for a good conference interview (especially live) and it was easy to read the apprehension. I am sure the sponsors of the giveaways were hoping for a better result.

I remember another botched "live" event LR did few years ago and it was eventually pulled down. I think LR should stop doing live anything when it comes to PR

Scripted pre recording event works much better with the deep dive series.  Also Austin either had a bad upload speed or because of the multi stream feed, his screen share was choppy and resolution.  

• Like 1

System Spec 1: Nvidia RTX 4090,  AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Res 5120x1440, HP Reverb G2
System Spec 2: AMD Radeon RX 7900XT, Intel I-9 9990K, Res 3840x1080, HP Reverb G2

4 hours ago, Alec said:

It was very uncomfortable for all parts, clearly visible, including Austin. The difference is, Austin is an enthusiastic guy, and tried his best to keep the momentum, even with the most absurd kind of question that kept being made by the host. Like asking the Orbx CEO: "What kind of sports do you like?". Later he asked Austin if there was going to be an Orbx Global Product for XP12. Maybe you want to ask the Orbx CEO about that?

Given the nature of the interview my gut feeling tells me is that Austin wants to keep his cards close to his chest and not reveal anything to moderator who appears like a mouthpiece for the competition. That maybe a smarter approach so that the thunder won't get slowed or stolen once he is ready to reveal what he wants us to see. I believe that is the same for Orbx as well, but that just my opinion.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BobFS88 said:

Given the nature of the interview my gut feeling tells me is that Austin wants to keep his cards close to his chest and not reveal anything to moderator who appears like a mouthpiece for the competition. That maybe a smarter approach so that the thunder won't get slowed or stolen once he is ready to reveal what he wants us to see. I believe that is the same for Orbx as well, but that just my opinion.  

Or Austin and Anna simply don't really have anything new...

System Spec 1: Nvidia RTX 4090,  AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Res 5120x1440, HP Reverb G2
System Spec 2: AMD Radeon RX 7900XT, Intel I-9 9990K, Res 3840x1080, HP Reverb G2

7 minutes ago, Sims Smith said:

Or Austin and Anna simply don't really have anything new...

We will see.

25 minutes ago, BobFS88 said:

@BobFS88 They are not keeping anything close to their chest. At this point, with all the previews and deep dive series(I watched them all) everyone knows what will be available in Xplane 12. If there was a big announcement, now would have been the time to make it public given that public beta is starting shortly. I believe they are just doing bug fixes and getting ready for the beta release now.

Seems to me after this interview, going forward X-Plane will be competing more so against P3D than with MSFS for the professional market share. While Austin is focusing on dome projection for professionals with the small team he has, MSFS will be focusing on flight model updates, adding gliders, helicopters, more planes and world updates that will pull in more users. Level D users care about hardware compatibility not immersion.

I also felt like Austin at every chance tried to downplay MSFS as not a real simulator while trying to position XPlane for professional pilots. That came across as disingenuous because most SIMMERS know that is not true regardless of how accurate you feel the fight model is. Many real-world pilots, CFI are already using MSFS. Don't forget that WT G1000 NXI, one of the best across all sims is in the base sim since Sim Update 10 Beta. The G3000 touch is being rebuilt from the ground up by working title. Check the GNS 530W and GNS 430W previews on their discord to see what I mean. I can imagine how many students will learn to fly procedures with these in the future. During these MSFS is just PR moments, it was apparent to me that the ORBX guests were uncomfortable because they are also a Microsoft partner. During the stream, the Microsoft community leader gave a shout out to ORBX and wished Austin the best. The moderator announced it, and Austin looks like he was caught off guard.

At the end of the day, Austin should have simply acknowledged the competition from Microsoft and let us know how they are planning to compete. The interview would have come across a lot better in my opinion.

• Like 8

Flight Sim PC - OS: Windows 11 Pro. CPU: i9-13900K.  RAM: 64GB. GPU: NVidia RTX 4090 OC
Flight Sim Xbox - Seriex X, 3TB

44 minutes ago, brinx said:

They are not keeping anything close to their chest. At this point,

So how would you possibly know that?

So they don't tell you everything you want to hear means they are not doing anything at all? 

Why would they want to reveal to you what they don't want their competition know before it is ready? 

Did anyone know what Abobo/MS was doing before they reveal their sim at the E3 convention 2 years before its was reveal?

Why is it assume that impossible for Xplane or anyone else for that matter to only reveal part of what they want you to see?

"everyone knows what will be available in Xplane 12. "

Everyone know what they have been shown doesn't mean they know everything. We still have to wait and see and then we will know.   

44 minutes ago, brinx said:

At this point, with all the previews and deep dive series(I watched them all) everyone knows what will be available in Xplane 12.

I saw them all as well and most of what was discuss where either seen in earlier previews or some  work in progress that was were already expose to with the exception of the ATC and water. You only say some of the air assets here and there, however you didn't see any deep dive into how the autogens are going to work or the mesh improvements and in how they differ from X Plane 11 or many other things they have not talked about graphics, which has been a very sensitive subject.

Edited by BobFS88
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, brinx said:

I also felt like Austin at every chance tried to downplay MSFS

I preferred it when they didn’t talk about the competition. Comes off as desperate

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NZ255 said:

Comes off as desperate

Only to those who want it to be so. Cant help yourselves.

5 hours ago, brinx said:

Austin should have simply acknowledged the competition from Microsoft

Why should he, they both have there place, and both will survive, but it seems everyone would like xplane to fail, and I cant fathom why, Is it because Austin and the team refuse to bend over to every whim, or is it because they have a vision, and some just dont like it. Ill say it again, Im glad they are doing what they need to do for the next release instead pf giving into what seems a never ending increase of complaining. Even if it was perfect people would complain it seems to be a habit for some.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NZ255 said:

I preferred it when they didn’t talk about the competition. Comes off as desperate

Not as desperate as their Minions in the youtube comment section trashing Xplane at every turn, in which they have earn that responds Austin. 

Edited by BobFS88
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, mjrhealth said:

but it seems everyone would like xplane to fail

I don't believe that to be the case. I'm not wishing xplane to fail at all. I've used xplane for the last 5 years. I'm not actively flying in xplane 11 at the moment, but I still follow all the latest updates and news about xplane 12. I would definitely try out the xplane 12 demo. I was simply pointing out what I saw in that interview.

5 hours ago, BobFS88 said:

Why would they want to reveal to you what they don't want their competition know before it is ready? 

Did anyone know what Abobo/MS was doing before they reveal their sim at the E3 convention 2 years before its was reveal?

Why is it assume that impossible for Xplane or anyone else for that matter to only reveal part of what they want you to see?

I don't think Asobo is concern with what the competition is doing. They already have a plan for this year ending with the 40th anniversary release in NOV. Anything Laminar shows would be to get the community excited about xplane 12 and would be good PR for them. I don't see any downside in that. They've shown many things that are work in progress. Basically, if it is not in alpha now, it is not coming any time soon. Maybe they'll have a big announcement in a year or 2, but as Austin stated in the interview, after launch they are going to focus on the professional market. This means new features aimed at the consumer market will have less resources thrown at it, hence longer development time. So, I'm not expecting any major new announcements near term.

Flight Sim PC - OS: Windows 11 Pro. CPU: i9-13900K.  RAM: 64GB. GPU: NVidia RTX 4090 OC
Flight Sim Xbox - Seriex X, 3TB