Sign in to follow this  

flight environment X questions

I dont know if anyone who visits these boards has the answers I'm looking forbut what I am wondering about FE X is whether or not it interacts with'real world weather' information.The website seems to imply that it does.All I've ever wanted out of a 'flight environment' program is one thatgives me a lot more realistic graphics that change realistically (i.e; not abruptly) according to the current real world weather.A simulator that creates 'probable' weather would also be cool.If anyone has any info (or knows where I can find it) I would appreciate it.

Howdy Dave,Yes you can interact with real world weather in FSX. Go to WorldWeather, it will give you a choice of two real world situations. Real World static, that only downloads the weather once or, it will update your weather every 15 minutes. Just click the radio button for the one you want. It works very well at my location, (Oklahoma City). Be aware if the weather at your location is bad with limited visibility, that is what you wil get in the simulator, so you may have to fly ILS. :-)

The FS9 Flight Environment was designed to interact with Active Sky. I am not sure what the FSX version will be like but I am sure it will be great. I don't think it was developed closely with Active Sky because Active Sky's new products take the place of Flight Environment in some respects. Active Sky X with X Graphics sounds like it is what you are looking for and it is available now. In the end, I will probably end up owning FE and ASX.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

FE X 'only' gives you better textures/graphics: but what you really (or also) want is better weatherchanges. You'll need ASX for that, but AFAIK FE X will come with it's own new weather program/engine too. Still, sudden changes are part of FSX and I don't think ASX or any other program can really completely deal with this. Just as fog can look real 'hard' against mountains, ASX or not.

Hi -thanks for your replies.I will probably (eventually) own both ASX/ASG and FE X.I'm going to wait and see what Flight Environment X can do. It soundsreally promising. I have no previous experience with FE but I've heard plenty of goodthings and I like the attention to artistic detail.One thing that would definitely help tip the scales in favor of FE X isif they would include new airport runway,tarmac and lights like ASX does.The pictures of the concrete included with ASX look good. I could probably find a freeware texture if I looked hard enough.I might even be able to create my own -- I dont know.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

Active Sky, Flight Environment and Ground Environment were all "must-haves" for FS9 and have been universally acclaimed and I am sure they will be must-haves for FSX as well. ASX already is a definite must and I am sure the both "Environments" will follow the legacy.Pat

>One thing that would definitely help tip the scales in favor>of FE X is>if they would include new airport runway,tarmac and lights>like ASX does.>The pictures of the concrete included with ASX look good. The concrete etc. comes from XG, not ASX! ASX is ONLY a weather generator with comes with ZERO textures!I plan to buy FE and GE, so for me XG is not necessary since FE and GE cover most of what XG would give me.

Guest Oneworld

Would this be compatible for FS9 ??

Guest CyberSimmer

>>>Would this be compatible for FS9 ??ASX and ASG will only be compatible with FSX.Active Sky 6 (weather engine) and Flight Environment (cloud, sky, and water textures) would be compatible with FS9Chris,

Guest Xiderpunk

Hi Dave,To answer your question, Flight Environment X comes complete with what we call an Environment Simulator. This provides real world weather depiction covering the globe using interpolation between weather stations. It also does alot more and the weather is just a subset of the data we are making use of, hence the terminology.In terms of probable weather, we currently allow input of weather conditions to over-ride the real-world weather situation but this is not really what you are asking for? As part of interpolation process where no real world data sources exist, FEX will make some intelligent guesses based on the air-mass movement/season/region as to what weather conditions it should depict. This may sound fairly inaccurate, however actually it is proving to be reasonably successful at guessing weather conditions using these factors.In all honesty we had hoped to present our website in full by now, but as is often the case in development projects we have all been working flat out on the core components. When we DO launch the website however this information will be covered in more depth. :-)Warm regards,Chris Norris

Guest Oneworld

Thanks for response, just a little confused will this new edition that has the following be able to work with FS9?Apologize for asking, but appreciate clafrication.With our technology we can:Collect information from known environmental factors in the real world and using that information derive variables to represent as true to life in game as possible. Change the plankton level of the myriad of oceans around the world according to temperature and season. Apply horizon effects that you see in the real world, including weather conditions such as an inversion layer. Change the world lighting giving greater depth perception to the water. Alter the water clarity and wave height based on realistic conditions Color the sky according to moisture content. Influence ALL ground textures according to lighting conditions. Apply entirely new lighting effects as seen in the real world, with the azimuth of the sun being properly represented in the sky. Effect sunsets and sunrises due to environmental conditions. Model regional air mass qualities and movements, for example during the summer months North East USA suffers from the China pollution haze brought in the trade winds. Over Western Europe, the Azores high air mass moves northwards crossing the ocean and southern Europe bringing dust particles to the shores of England and France. Apply texture modifications according to your FSX and graphic card settings, such as for shader 1 and 2. No more generic textures! Depict winds accurately inside FSX, including winds aloft and smoothing between stations. Increase weather layers to more closely represent real world conditions. Smooth visibility from horizon to sky. Simulate and represent pollution based on the real world.

Hi Chris -Thanks for your response. I was hoping you guys read these forums.What you are describing here sounds like exactly what I want. I've never cared thatthe simulated weather was exactly what I saw outside my window...I caremore that the depicted weather is appropriate to the conditions and thatit doesnt suddenly and drastically change.I would like to be able to download real world weather and look at a mapthat shows me where the fronts are and where the clouds are and then get inthe simulator and be able to see that cloud front off in the distanceand as I fly towards -- it doesnt suddenly dissapear witha weather update.things should be smooth and believable.I appreciate your response on this thread and I'm looking forward to trying out FE X.BTW - by any chance will you include updated airport textures?

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

Chris - if I can bother you with two more questions...1) can you do anything about the instant visibilty changes2) consider this: you take off and the skies are clear and vis is goodbut to the north there is an area of clouds and rain and low visibility.At present, you can look to the north and see some clouds but youwont know about the rain and decreased visibilty until you fly intoit and suddenly things change. It would be great if it were possibleto see that area of decreased visiblity from a distance. I dont know if thatseven possible but it would be great.You've probably already solved the first problem with your interpolation techniques andthe use of 'fictitious' weather stations. (I'm assuming too much here, perhaps)Good luck with the program.I'm looking forward to hearing and seeing more.