Sign in to follow this  
ptr1959w

What does it mean by VALIDATE in P2ATC?

Hi there, What does it mean by VALIDATE in P2ATC? I have only used P2ATC a couple of times. Any Information is greatly appreciated. TIA

When you load a flight plan you need to first check that it is valid. It will mark your TOD based upon the airspeed you have indicated and your ROD once that is done you can then proceed to "File" it with ATC. You can only "File" your flight plan once but if you make changes en-route (eg. altitude) then you can re-validate, without re-filing.

I would really advise reading through the documentation that came with P2ATC. it's not really a load and run type of program unless you've been using it a while.

Edited by BrianT

Brian Thomas

WW1618.png

7 hours ago, BrianT said:

once that is done you can then proceed to "File" it with ATC

Though it seems it's not actually required. I always just 'File' my flight plan and it does both, validate it and file with ATC.

27 minutes ago, woodstock327 said:

Though it seems it's not actually required. I always just 'File' my flight plan and it does both, validate it and file with ATC.

The only problem with that is if you just click on "File" and then you realise somethings wrong you would have re-create or re-load the flight plan make the changes and then "File". Being able to "Validate" first allows you to check and change any errors before "Filing" which I guess is what they do IRL.

Brian Thomas

WW1618.png

I think this is probably related, so I am going to post it here rather than creating a new thread...

What is the right way to deal with a change in approach, runway, SID or STAR? I find that if I don't program the changes into P2A, ATC doesn't follow what it is should do. An example from a flight tonight from KDCA-KBOS.

I created the flight plan on Simbrief and imported it into P2A. I tentatively selected the ILS approach into 22L when I created the flight plan, expecting that it could be different. The route flew fine and I was told as I was approaching the STAR, that I should expect the RNAV arrival into 22L, but there was no mention of vectors. I inputted the new arrival into the FMC and saw that there was a discontinuity because of the need for vectors or manual flying to the RNAV approach. I didn't do anything in P2A, as I wanted to see what would happen.

I flew through the last waypoint on the STAR and there was nothing from the controller. I kept requesting approval for the RNAV approach, but was ignored at first and then specifically requested vectors to the RNAV approach and was told that my flight plan was out of date and I needed to file a new one. I then changed the approach in P2A and selected vectors as the transition, and refiled the flight plan, but P2A directed me to 12,000 feet and no vectors (I was at the RNAV entry height of 4,000). I then asked for clearance to the RNAV approach again and was given vectors.

When do I need to refile? Do I ever need to refile or just to validate when there is an approach/STAR or other routing change? The manual says that changes like this require inputting into the aircraft FMC and OPTIONALLY in P2A, so I am not sure what the correct procedure is.

Thank you.

My understanding is you only ever need to re-validate, never re-file. If P2ATC directs you to a new arrival then you should only need to make that change in your FMC as P2ATC will have already made it's own change.

In your scenario, assuming after you loaded FP into P2ATC you Validated and then Filed then on announcing the new approach I would have expected P"ATC to have vectored me to that approach. the fact that it was telling you your FP was out of date tells me that something went wrong between originally filing and arriving at your last waypoint. Maybe a disconnect between P2ATC and your sim.

The only time I re-validate would be if I make a change to the flight plan like changes to waypoints, altitude, cruise speed or descent rate for instance. In this case P2ATC will recalculate my TOD for me and should therefore give me correct approach information.

Dave the developer of this excellent product is great with his support and so I would expect him to be along sometime soon and correct me if I'm talking out of my rear. (entirely possible....just ask my wife) 🙂

Edited by BrianT
Spooling mastook

Brian Thomas

WW1618.png

Brian, you are correct.  On a normal flight, where nothing has gone wrong, after initially filing you would never file again.

If you get a new approach for ATC and want it to show up on the P2A map, then you would make the change and Validate, but not refile.  This is the same as in the real world where you only file once before the flight and ATC makes changes along the way.

If you have disconnects from the SIM or other problems en-route, you may have to follow the disconnect/crash process, which is:

• Disconnect/Reconnect from Sim
  • Load and File the Flight Plan
  • Make an initial call to ATC like "Center<Call Sign> at flight level 240"

This will work as long as you are at or before the point of getting arrival information.

If already executing the approach, then it's best to request the approach or request vectors to the approach.  Once you do that, the flight plan is disregarded and ATC should give you instructions for the approach.  If talking to Center, be sure and tell them the ICAO of the airport.

Dave

• Upvote 1