Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Wasn't broke, but I tried to fix it anyway! NVidia Driver..

I have a 1070 which by the way still holds the line quite nicely. I usually stay away from newer drivers knowing that the new ones are optimized for the newer generation of video cards, once Im happy with my cards performance I stick with that version of driver. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

1 hour ago, CarlosF said:

I have a 1070 which by the way still holds the line quite nicely. I usually stay away from newer drivers knowing that the new ones are optimized for the newer generation of video cards, once Im happy with my cards performance I stick with that version of driver. 

Our line of cards still sees improvements and updates, though to a lesser extend. However there's an even bigger case for keeping your drivers up to date; security. There's often security issues and flaws rectified with newer drivers, so keep that in mind. 

• Like 2

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

The Geforce Experience "In-Game Overlay" being enabled in the Geforce Experience control panel can cause massive stuttering.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Noel said:

Plus, I have a hard time accepting NV doesn't know how to uninstall/install drivers here in mid 2022.

Exactly. There's no reason that you even need to uninstall your current set before updating to another version, the installer will take care of it for you.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

2 minutes ago, Dave_YVR said:

Exactly. There's no reason that you even need to uninstall your current set before updating to another version, the installer will take care of it for you.

I always assumed this, however this article convinced me I should uninstall first--I have no idea if it's valid:

https://support.robertsspaceindustries.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002285473-Nvidia-Graphic-Drivers-Install-and-Configure 

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

I generally will not update an Nvidia driver unless I am having issues or the new driver mentions an improvement relevant to msfs.  I learned from past experience that this was the best approach for me (though others might not agree).

• Like 3

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

13 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

You want problems, install the latest drivers, and then try and fix what you just broke. 

I think that if software updates regularly caused issues, programmers would be fired and software houses would fail.

I see many more problems caused by 3rd party utilities, OS tweaks supposed to improve performance and youtubers' snake oil 🙂

Because you know, people disable Windows services and drivers, edit the registry and FS config files, delete entire folders inside FS packages and then blame Microsoft and nVidia for their problems.

Edited by MrFuzzy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

When I last updated the drivers I forgot to set Low Latency Mode to Ultra and I thought it was something wrong with the drivers when everything was not smooth anymore. What I'm saying is, maybe it's the drivers, maybe it's something that got reset with the installation and you forgot to set it properly. 

I have been using PC's  for decades, I have never experienced a problem after installing an updated driver for a graphics card.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Asus Maximus Hero X11, Intel i9 10850k, 32gb Corsair Dominator ram, 2tb Corsair mp510 ssd  m2, Gigybyte turbo RTX 3090

I was playing around with the beta but it was too unstable with the addons I was trying to use. While trying to stabilize I installed the latest Nvidia driver. After too many ctd's and not being able to complete a flight, I tried to revert back which was hopeless, so I did a complete reinstall.

MSFS has never run better for me. My system ran good before, but I swear I've gotten about a 20% increase in performance. The only explanations I can come up with is that something went funky on the previous install or MSFS likes being installed on top of the driver. I've always been very satisfied with my performance but since this event I haven't seen the fps dip below 41 anywhere. I've been hard at it training myself not to check anymore.

One thing that's a blessing is the ease of reinstalling everything compared to the days of yore 😉

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

1 hour ago, Scimiter said:

I have been using PC's  for decades, I have never experienced a problem after installing an updated driver for a graphics card.

Same here. I update all the time. I never install the GE Force Experience. I always reboot immediately after the new driver is installed even though the installer doesn't force me to do so, and then I immediately go into the Nvidia control panel and make sure all of my settings in general as well as my MSFS proile are still correct. The one thing that always seems to change is the color settings at the bottom of the screen where you set resolution. I always have to change that back to Nvidia color settings and "full".

I've never had a major issue doing so.

• Upvote 3

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

3 hours ago, MDFlier said:

Same here. I update all the time. I never install the GE Force Experience. I always reboot immediately after the new driver is installed even though the installer doesn't force me to do so, and then I immediately go into the Nvidia control panel and make sure all of my settings in general as well as my MSFS proile are still correct. The one thing that always seems to change is the color settings at the bottom of the screen where you set resolution. I always have to change that back to Nvidia color settings and "full".

I've never had a major issue doing so.

Also same here.

Edited by northtexas
  • Upvote 1

System: i7-11700K, ASUS Prime Z590M-PLUS Motherboard, G-Skills Trident Z Series 64 GB DDR4 3200, Corsair RM1000x80 PLUS Gold, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll, GeForce RTX 4070 Super FE, NVIDIA Drivers 546.65, WD Blue NVMe m2  500GB SSD for Windows 10 Home v21H2,  WD Black SN850X 2 TB NVMe m2  for MSFS, Toshiba 2TB HD for data and other games, ViewSonic XG2705-2K  27" 2560x1440 144hz Monitor,  Thrustmaster Airbus flight stick, Logitech M510 wireless Mouse.

5 hours ago, Scimiter said:

Same here .. Granted there will be the odd program or application that may be driver version sensitive but usually that is the case where that application is using legacy code or methods that should have been dropped ages ago and when the driver drops support for the legacy method then the developer gets caught with their pants down (looking at you Zwift). I do not think MSFS falls within this category and i have been upgrading my drivers as they get released no issues. 

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

On 7/19/2022 at 12:41 PM, Noel said:

Having not installed a new NV driver

Luv the title of post Noel 🙂 

Rich Sennett