Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

Do you consider AVSIM to be "Social Media"?

Do you consider AVSIM to be "Social Media"?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider AVSIM to be "Social Media"?

• Yes, I consider AVSIM to be "Social Media."
    • No, I don't consider AVSIM to be "Social Media."

3 minutes ago, W2DR said:

When I was a kid you could always see pictures of the most-wanted criminals in the post office. But I never thought of it as a jail. Maybe I'll change the picture to a dog and pretend I'm in a kennel. Or pulling a sled. I still don't see why a picture of a cat associates me with social media. I guess I'm just too old for this stuff.

Hey, Doug...have someone snap a pic of the real you and use that for your avatar.  We won't run screaming from the room, will we? 🙃

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

4 hours ago, hs118 said:

Your profile picture is a cat. 

OMG!  A cat!!!!

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

7 hours ago, Fielder said:

I did not use the same user name on the hobby forums I have joined over the years. I could not possibly disclose all my user names and which social media sites I was on, however briefly, if my life depended on it. 

Speaking as a 3 decade veteran working directly in information and internet security, my experience would tell me that any federal agency would not need you to remember them if the information was deemed pertinent to their interest in you. 🙂

Also, "social media" by it's definition previously posted, would include "hobby sites".

Edited by hs118

2 hours ago, charliearon said:

Hey, Doug...have someone snap a pic of the real you and use that for your avatar.  We won't run screaming from the room, will we? 🙃

I actually did that once Charlie. But one of the ladies here on the forums asked me to change it back. She said I was so good looking that it distracted her from reading the messages.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

I like your picture Doug.  Don't change it.

In fact, I'm going to change mine to a bird.  I was a wildlife photographer specializing in birds and why my logon name is Birdguy.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

6 hours ago, W2DR said:

still don't see why a picture of a cat associates me with social media.

It was a joke. Facebook was famous for cat memes at one time. There has, in fact, been cat-related material posted here. It's part of the personality of Hangar Chat. It was supposed to go, "ha, yeah, but we're famous for cat-related material here." Nothing to do with you or to criticize anyone. I like cats as much as anyone and think it's fun to have a sort of running gag about cat posts in Hangar Chat. But this is why my family keeps the date and location of Thanksgiving dinner a secret from me since 2013: something about inappropriate humor at the table.

Me? I'm Tim Capps everywhere, my real name, except when I occasionally pretend to be a Bear for professional reasons. Because if I were anonymous, you think my posts are bad now... I know my limits. I had Top Secret Crypto clearance in the Army Security Agency (which no longer exists as such), 265th ASA Co. 18th Airborne Corps assigned to 101st Airborne / Airmobile Division. I'm not sure of the relevance of that, either, but I'll roll with it. 

I think I'm a lot more fun as a Bear than a Crow. But now everyone can Google me and discover everything there is to know about me. (Hint: I'm not the dead guy who wrote horse racing mysteries.) I'm pretty sure anyone who wants my information for profit already has it, and I have nothing fear from my friends here. As far as the feds, well, as they say, if you can make the devi your friend, you have a friend indeed.

I don't do social media like Facebook or Twitter, although I used to. It's like MSFS vs P3D if that was the only thing in the world to talk about only a million times more bitter. My wife does Facebook and most of the activity ends up deciding who you're going to unfriend, apparently. But, yes, I think this is social media in a broad sense since it brings people together in public discussion and encourages private messaging among like-minded aviation fans all over the world. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, birdguy said:

I was a wildlife photographer specializing in birds and why my logon name is Birdguy.

Get Wingspan and play online with me. You'd love it. I swear on my honor as a bird with a lock of red hair in its beak. Why that? It was promo art for an urban fantasy book I wrote. Since birds fly, and I always thought it was kind of cool and weird, there it is. I think I'll change it though.

Edited by Tim_Capps