Sign in to follow this  
Joseph29

P3D asking me to enable Orbx sceneries every time I start P3

When an addon installs into program files, that folder is read-only. So that's ok unless that addon has files that are updated during the sim such as flight plan or panel state. Then of course the addon can't make changes to those files because they are read only. What the addon should have done is install those files in a user area like "C:\Users\you\AppData\Roaming". Or failing that, the addon installer, while running with admin rights can make their folder within program files read-write for the users group. So there's no need to run as admin when the addon is in use. Since many addon's don't install correctly the simple answer is to run the sim as admin, or better still install the sim in a user folder or set the folder read-write and there's no need to run as admin. I'm surprised this is still an area where those that should know better fail to understand.

It's simple to set up P3D or FSX to allow those addon to work without admin rights: In explorer select the P3D or FSX program files folder, choose properties from the menu, then choose the security tab, click the Edit button under Group or user names box, in that box select the Users group, in the box below check the Modify Allow box, the Write box will become checked by that too, and then apply/OK. Now when the sim is run as User (not Admin) all those addons can work and store the information in their files and as an advantage the aircraft.cfg panel.cfg files and so on can be edited without having to resort to run as admin.

• Upvote 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

The reason not to run as admin is basic in that if an aircraft or scenery is infected with malware or a rootkit then running the sim as admin allows that malware to install and may be malicious for example encrypt the user files for a ransom.

When P3D or FSX is installed in a sensitive site like a college or workplace, that  network may have Run as Admin disabled for users so the Admin would have to come over and type in a password each time. Instead they set up poorly built software to allow members of the Users group to read-write those folders with the Modify Allow checkbox.  Just one box to check.

• Upvote 1

I was hoping that you would respond in this thread, Steve. The voice of reason as always :smile:

• Like 2

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

44 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

I was hoping that you would respond in this thread, Steve. The voice of reason as always :smile:

Thanks Chris!

2 hours ago, SteveW said:

Since many addon's don't install correctly the simple answer is to run the sim as admin, or better still install the sim in a user folder or set the folder read-write and there's no need to run as admin.

Steve, thank you for these words. I wish that many developers (whom I shall not name) would look at this and figure out the proper install paths.

Personally, I recommend that where possible you install P3D to a different (physical) drive than the C drive to avoid disk contention, and if this is not possible then at least install to something like C:\P3D.

Jorgen

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jorgensandersen said:

I wish that many developers (whom I shall not name) would look at this and figure out the proper install paths.

Yes precisely, the techniques I describe to set up software access for the Users group is as basic as it gets to even the least experienced network admins.

As I mentioned a couple of posts ago, the sim can be installed in a user folder and by definition that user has read-write access to their own folders and so run as admin is not required. This may pose a problem if another user is set up on that PC because they don't own the folder, in that case the Modify Allow checkbox can be ticked for that folder and that enables members of the Users group (authenticated logons) to gain read-write to that folder.