Sign in to follow this  
rpowers

Internet speed adequate?

I have flight sim Ed since it first came out but due to moving to a rural area with extremely limited internet I have not moved up to FS2020. I now have internet at 25mps. Is this adequate to run FS2020 with a new computer?Thank you,Ron

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

If you're actually getting and sustaining 25 Mbps, you should be fine.  But in many cases, that's a "max" or best attainable rate and real data rates are much less.  Best to check with an internet speed test and see what you're actually getting.  A test that also measures latency wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

59 minutes ago, rpowers said:

I now have internet at 25mps.

Thats what I have and its fine.  People with really fast internet don't seem to realize that their fast internet does nothing to speed up the MS servers.  I use the rolling cache with photogrammetry and it works great.

I do think it depends on what part of the world (which MS server serves you) that will affect you most.

• Like 1

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

1 hour ago, rpowers said:

I have flight sim Ed since it first came out but due to moving to a rural area with extremely limited internet I have not moved up to FS2020. I now have internet at 25mps. Is this adequate to run FS2020 with a new computer?Thank you,Ron

Ideally it should be 50 MBps according to MS.

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

Minimum for MSFS is 5 Mbps, 20 Mbps is recommended and 50 Mbps is ideal, according to MSFS specs, so you should be fine. I have 58 Mbps which is more than the ideal bandwidth but I still sometimes run into 'molten' photogrammetry, so your own bandwidth isn't the whole story and it still also depends on MSFS servers.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

1 hour ago, rpowers said:

Get Starlink satellite Internet - I'm in the UK and live in a rural area on a canal narrowboat.  Best ground based internet I can get is around 30MBs, but Starlink gives me an average of 250Mbs.  Best speeds are 350Mbs.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

Thank you for the quick and informative responses. That is info I needed. Ron from Starved Rock ,I’ll. 90 miles SW of Chicago

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

8 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Get Starlink satellite Internet 

It looks like a very good idea but the one-off installation cost plus the first month's rental is equal to the entire two year contract cost of my 27mbps land based service.

and why o why not test it out via the gamepass for 1 dollar for one month?

easy to see if it will work ok.

42 minutes ago, Reader said:

It looks like a very good idea but the one-off installation cost plus the first month's rental is equal to the entire two year contract cost of my 27mbps land based service.

Well, if it’s bandwidth you need in a rural location, it is an excellent option.  Personally the initial cost was worth it for excellent MSFS performance as well as general internet use.  My 30 MBs service meant MSFS itself, plus each time it’s updated, took a day.  With Starlink it takes me less than an hour.  Downloading on Steam I used to see 2MBs and that could mean another day to download one game. With Starlink I get 30MBs downloads often. My wife and I loves it for Netflix, YouTube etc - quick connection and seamless streaming.

Starlink has been installed for just over a year without a single problem. Well worth that initial outlay.

• Upvote 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

OOKLA is the magic word to google. Just click and read the dial to see the speed you are actually getting right now.

https://www.speedtest.net/

----------------------

My PC is upstairs. Router downstairs. So that was a big issue.

On the PC, I use is a USB wifi dongle *with 2 antenna rods*. I use a standard USB extension wire to mount that dongle on the wall and run the extension wire to the PC USB port.

My router has 3 rotating extension rod antennas (it would only need 2 rods if it was a single band router).

Router rods are rotated by trial and error using ookla speeds to parallel the rods on the PC wifi USB output dongle.

If router rods not aligned precisely, speed is in the low 30's. Aligned the speed is at the very least 85 (wifi plan is 100 mBps). Huge difference and absolutely tested true. (unless someone moves the router, so I velcroed that router in place).

About half the routers and half the wifi dongles sold on Amazon have those extending rods.

If the PC is close to the router, none of this is necessary and then it won't help.

--------------

What I use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B093FT3H7L/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079JD7F7G/

Edited by Fielder

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

51 minutes ago, Fielder said:

My PC is upstairs. Router downstairs. So that was a big issue.On the PC, I use is a USB wifi dongle *with 2 antenna rods*. I use a standard USB extension wire to mount that dongle on the wall and run the extension wire to the PC USB port.
My router has 3 rotating extension rod antennas (it would only need 2 rods if it was a single band router).
Router rods are rotated by trial and error using ookla speeds to parallel the rods on the PC wifi USB output dongle.
If router rods not aligned precisely, speed is in the low 30's.
Aligned the speed is at the very least 85 (wifi plan is 100 mBps). Huge difference and absolutely tested true. (unless someone moves the router, so I velcroed that router in place).
About half the routers and half the wifi dongles sold on Amazon have those extending rods.
If the PC is close to the router, none of this is necessary and then it won't help.

I use a cable. 🙂

Edited by Reader

Yes a cable works best!

Also easier to fly a circle with a Cox control line model plane instead of using radio control. 

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I started with 5mb per second wi-fi. Only problem was downloading sim and updates. running the program was fine and that was with a 7700 cpu and 1060 graphics card. 

Edited by jimcarrel

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

6 hours ago, jimcarrel said:

I started with 5mb per second wi-fi. Only problem was downloading sim and updates. running the program was fine and that was with a 7700 cpu and 1060 graphics card. 

Same here, now have 30 Mbps and downloading updates is much better. 😉

Bert