Sign in to follow this  
Guest RonB49

How would I reduce visibility range in FSX?

>Hi Rob,>>Thanks so much for that!!!!>>Use the visibility sliders in ASX the same way you would have>entered values in ASv6. Just like before though, you may need>to restart things to reset the weather engine and the sim>engine.>>Wonder if I need any smilies? Yep, just one::( >Jim>>http://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpg>http://www.hifisim.com/Thanks Jim, That was easy. I tried setting a value in FSX.cfg and I ended up with transparent buildings at CYVR (which is an addon). I didn't even notice that you could adjust the vis. sliders and I even read the manual. Just like a kid in a candy store I guess.Anyway, thanks for your help and keep smiling.Cheers,

\Robert Hamlich/

>Thanks for your help guys. >>Jim, what do you think I would do without ASX? I have had>ActiveSky installed on a few versions of FS and would not even>think of doing without it. ASX and XGraphics makes the sim>look fantastic!>>Cheers,Sure, I fully support: ASX+XGraphics with Jim ontop is the best solution for FSX.

Guest rapsta

So did I get you right?I can only reduce the visibility range with an addon Tool like Active Sky X? And my second Question is. Does it have impact on the performance?In FS9 there was a huge Performance Win on the visibility.Jens

>So did I get you right?>I can only reduce the visibility range with an addon Tool like>Active Sky X? >And my second Question is. Does it have impact on the>performance?>In FS9 there was a huge Performance Win on the visibility.>>JensRapsta, I understand you'll only suffer if:1. You don't use an add-on weather program with visibility control.2. If you don't buy/use FSUIPC4 where you can limit visibility.3. If you use real weather option in FSX and the weather is crystal-clear.I have not installed yet my newest package bought from Hifi Simulation, so I have been using FSUIPC options.

>So did I get you right?>I can only reduce the visibility range with an addon Tool like>Active Sky X? >And my second Question is. Does it have impact on the>performance?>In FS9 there was a huge Performance Win on the visibility.>>JensWell, this is exactly what I mean... OF COURSE you don't have to buy an addon to reduce visibility!!! You can set the visiblity in FSX on the custom weather tab. Easy as that and completely free. Setting visibility to 20 miles/32 km (for instance) surely helps fps compared to having it at inlimited!

Guest rapsta

>OF COURSE you don't have to buy an addon to reduce>visibility!!! You can set the visiblity in FSX on the custom>weather tab. Easy as that and completely free. Setting>visibility to 20 miles/32 km (for instance) surely helps fps>compared to having it at inlimited!Via custom Weather Tab in FSX you can only set the visibility to 60 Miles, or not?And I thought the entry MAX_UNLIMITED_VIS in the fsx.cfg don

No, you can set it from VERY close to unlimited.

Guest rapsta

Thanks for the quick reply. I will try it.

Okay, clear. Well, you should expect real weather to give you real viewing distances... but apparently it doesn't? I never use real weather, so...Anyway, if this is REALLY so and since the cfg setting doesn't seem to work (according to others), maybe this is in fact something that can only be done with an addon weather generator. For the moment that would be ASX (FE will have a weatherprogram too, but the specs aren't published yet). AFAIK know you can set maximum visibility in ASX as an option regardless of the real weather (so visibility will never exceed that setting, not even on a clear day), but since I don't own ASX maybe someone else confirm this. (Jim...? :( )

Well, I think the logic is different: If you really want to use real weather - suffer the visibility consequences (90 miles-110miles clear skies?), otherwise the moment you start limiting, the weather becomes not so real anymore. To tweak this special condition staying with its dynamics, you can use FSUIPC4 or HIFI SIm.

Guest rapsta

Thanks to you all for your kind and fast replies. I will buy a copy of ASX.

Wow... I actually helped selling a copy of ASX! :(