Sign in to follow this  
Cruachan

Firefox - error noted during shutdown of XP Home

Hi,Everyone bangs on about how good Mozilla Firefox is and recommend it be used instead of IE so recently I thought I would give it a try. I posted the following over at Firefox Support, but thought I would post here as well in case someone reading this has already found a solution:I'm new to Firefox (version 1.5.0.4). I have installed it twice recently and after a relatively short period of normal boots into Windows XP SP2 (fully updated) and uneventful Shutdowns on completion of a session I start to notice the following brief message appearing on screen during Shutdown: "Firefox.exe dll ... initialization failed The application failed to initialize because the Windows station is shutting down" This appears only momentarily, following which Shutdown of XP Home proceeds normally - power off occurs usually well within 10 seconds. If I uninstall Firefox this message goes away. Therefore, it would appear Firefox is the culprit. Has anyone else come across this? If so, can you please advise me as to what needs to be done to remedy matters.Firefox, in the main, seems otherwise to work well apart from occasional difficulties linking to files for d/l and yesterday I noted it was having a problem navigating from page to page on http://www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/ while I was trying to renew my vehicle tax disc. I hesitate to say it, but returning to IE6 in each case provided the solution. In general I feel Firefox does not load pages quite as quickly as IE6.Perhaps I am being a bit unfair at this stage as I have only just started using Firefox but, from these experiences, it does at times feel very much like a work still in progress. Also, it does appear that quite a few other issues are being reported over on the Firefox Bugs forum.On the other hand, I have to say what tempted me to give it a whirl was my wife's experience. She is still running Windows ME which, for the most part, is stable but IE6 can be really rocky at times. The switch to Firefox appears to have resolved all her problems and she is now quite happy - always a good thing as her husband has been resisting the hassle (and expense) of upgrading her to XP.Anyway, all this aside, has anyone else noted this message during Shutdown?Cheers,Mike

The occasional navigation problem is, apparently, a known issue and can be resolved by installing IE View:https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/35/Neat idea and seems to work well. Looks like there are times when we still need the old workhorse!Mike