Sign in to follow this  
Guest NaturalPoint_Vince

Virtual Cockpit View Angle Help?

Guest qualar

Just started to get into FSX and so far enjoying it. I tend to play on my laptop when away so I am using an Xbox 360 controller for portability reasons.Here's my question:I like playing in Virtual Cockpit mode and the xbox 360 controller assigns one of its joysticks to control that view which is fine. When i move the joystick around it does its job and when i let go of the stick it resets to its default position looking forward.However, I find the default position a bit high. I would like default view to look down a bit so i see less sky but more of the guages. I know i can use zoom to see more controls bit this makes things a lot smaller. It is just a pain having to keep constant forward pressure on my joystick so I can see the important gauges.Thanks in advancePhil

Most simple way will be to use Shift-Backspace and Shift-Enter to move the viewpoint up and down and vice versa. It's not really like bending over, which you want, but this is the simple method. You can change the viewpoint of the defaultview if you want to, but this requires editing configfiles. I knew how to do that a long time ago (you might find an old topic of mine describing how to do it) but ever since I have a Track IR I don't need to edit cfg's anymore. ;)

Guest qualar

Thank you for the quick response. I will use that method for now. But I don't mind editing a config file if anyone can tell me which seting I need to change.Also do ou recommend the TrackIR; it looks cool.

Guest Vilk

sorry, no answer, but i'll be watching this threadnot being able (it seems) to reset to the default angle specified in panel.cfg is one of the worst usability booboos of fsx compared to fs9hope somebody has the answer

I'm sure J does, and I also HIGHLY recommend the TrackIR 4. There's a $30 discount available in the link at the bottom of the home page of my homepage.But I do find I still need to edit aircraft.cfg's to get the initial head position correct for many aircraft, even with the TrackIR.I, too, like to use an XBox controller, a lot! I've remapped the keys, though.Using the image from the FSX Learning Center, Important Skills, XBox controller page:Y- Increase throttleB- Decrease throttleA - BrakesX - Switch Views (S key)1 - rudder left2 - rudder right3 - Elevator trim down4 - Elevator trim up5 - Aircraft control (ailerons, elevators)Press 5 - Flaps all the way up6 - Dynamic viewingPress 6 - Increment Flaps Down7 - View Pan left, right, up, down, up-left,8 - Push to talk (For multi-player play)9 - Gear up/downMakes it more natural for the way I fly. A friend of mine prefers to use button 9 for autopilot master on/off.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Guest qualar

Thnak you. I may look into TrackIR.

The Track IR is the best hardware addon I ever bought. It changed my simming life completely. I can talk on and on about if for pages and pages, I'm SO enthousiastic about it...!!!About editing views in cfg's: I did a search and here is my post about camera's and views and hotkeys:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchI starts off about hotkeys, but my post dated Fri Nov-03-06 08:39 PM talks specifically about changing views itself (bending (panning) down or up, etc.). I think that should help you enough to get the default view you want, as well as the rest of the topic (if I remember well: I didn't read it all over again, but I remember making a panned (bend) down view for several aircraft during that time, just like you want now). But don't ask me anything about it anymore, because as said: I've forgotten all about is ever since I bought the Track IR. ;)Here is a link straight to that specific post. But you might want to read it all though!http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...id=368743&page=

Guest qualar

Thank you very much. I am suspecting that I cannot do it globlly I must alter each Aircraft.

Guest Vilk

very nice. thanks a lot!

>Thank you very much. I am suspecting that I cannot do it>globlly I must alter each Aircraft.Correct.

Guest etheberge

Ha, don't get us started on TrackIR, unless you want to wade through a 12 pages thread praising its virtues :-)It's hands down the best hardware purchase you can make for FS, bar none. It changes the way you fly by letting you concentrate on flying the plane instead of always trying to find the right view.It becomes so natural after I while that on the rare times I'm not using it (when testing tweaks and stuff like that) I often find myself turning my head expecting the view to change.-Erik T.

>Ha, don't get us started on TrackIR, unless you want to wade>through a 12 pages thread praising its virtues :-)LOL That's what I mean! ;)I agree (of course) with everything you say. Just finished a VFR flight above Norway, and man... looking around over the mountains... it's so REAL! It's just as if I am really there! Thx to Track IR. And the nice graphics of course... But without Track IR you seem to be trapped in a narrow box where you cannot move. I usually fly the Cessna 172 for VFR (haven't done anything else since I bought the Track IR BTW) and (for instance) looking over the hood (or whatever you call that) into the distance is so NATURAL! Want to see where the landingstrip is? Just go and sit a bit higher and stretch your neck and that's it! You should see me do it: I just make the exact same movements as I would do in real life! And approaches, really, flying the pattern is FUN with Track IR! I always used to fly straight in before I had it, but not anymore. If I'm told to enter traffic at right downwind I am a happy man. Want to know on the downwind when it's time to start the turn to base? Just look over your shoulder! (Which can be done with small movements because every movement is amplified, but without it being irritating: it's just perfect).O darn, there I go again... You got me started! I just can't help it. :( I'll stop now... but there is too much too be told. It isn't cheap but it's worth every cent. If mine would be stolen today, I'd order a new one within a minute, even before calling the insurance agency. ;)

Guest etheberge

>O darn, there I go again... You got me started! I just can't>help it. Sorry :-)Everything you said is right on, I'm even trying to turn my head to change the view when watching FS video clips on youtube now! We really need a TrackIR fan club :-)I could go on forever talking about it but I'll stop now, don't want to highjack this thread too much.-Erik T.

The virtual cockpit viewpoint is set and can be adjusted in the aircraft.cfg file for each airplane. Open it up with Notepad and seach for Views section. The third, parameter for Eyepoint is the vertical location (in feet). Try lowering it by .5 and see what happens.

Bert

I'm even trying to turn my>head to change the view when watching FS video clips on>youtube now! Ha, that's funny! Just today (really!) I watched some FS videos for the first time on Youtube, and I had the exact same thing!!! :(