Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

Twin Otter on floats won't turn in the water

Hi.  I am using the de Havilland Canada DHC-6-300 Floats Pax version of the Twin Otter (the yellow & blue Trans Maldivian Airways livery).  Using live weather for VRMM (Male International in the Maldives) today, I could not turn the Twin Otter, with full rudder deflection, for both directions.  The live weather for VRMM had a little wind and the waves were a little choppy, but in my opinion, those types of waves are standard for a typical day in the Maldives.  In real life, with those waves and winds that I had for live weather today, the Twin Otter on floats would be able to turn, no problem.  However, I still could not turn the Twin Otter with full rudder in MSFS.  The only way I was able to turn the Twin Otter was by changing the live weather back to clear skies and no wind, and then I could turn the Twin Otter, with full rudder deflection.

Is there another switch I need to turn on or arm, so that I can turn the Twin Otter?

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

Isn't the Twotter supposed to be turned on water using asymmetric thrust, or at least with much bigger impact? Easier if you can bind two separate axis for throttles.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

18 minutes ago, Donka said:

Isn't the Twotter supposed to be turned on water using asymmetric thrust, or at least with much bigger impact? Easier if you can bind two separate axis for throttles.

Oh, so you're supposed to turn the Twin Otter by raising the power of the propellers on on one side, while lowering the power of the propeller on the other side?  Maybe that explains why I couldn't turn it (I'm used to flying the Cessna 172 on floats).  Thanks.

Edited by abrams_tank

Yup, I'm sure that is the proper approach - let me know how you get on.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

1 hour ago, Donka said:

Yup, I'm sure that is the proper approach - let me know how you get on.

Yeah, I got it to turn by changing the individual throttles. Slightly pulling the left throttle into reverse, can get it to turn left.  Thanks for your help.

Then I spawned into live weather in VRMM with the Cessna 172 float plane.  Unfortunately, I could not turn with the Cessna 172 float plane with live weather, even with the water rudders in the water 🤣

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

Yeah, I got it to turn by changing the individual throttles. Slightly pulling the left throttle into reverse, can get it to turn left.  Thanks for your help.

Then I spawned into live weather in VRMM with the Cessna 172 float plane.  Unfortunately, I could not turn with the Cessna 172 float plane with live weather, even with the water rudders in the water 🤣

use the modded version, it works fine :

https://de.flightsim.to/file/15805/cessna-172-amphibian

Water turning is broken since many many months if no water rudder is added for a single engine aircraft. Sadly this breaks all the Asobo default water aircraft (except the Icon A5 I believe). The Payware Asobos are fine, however.

Edited by darshonaut
  • Like 1

my African sceneries for MSFS : https://darshonaut.blogspot.com/p/msfs-2020.html

53 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

Then I spawned into live weather in VRMM with the Cessna 172 float plane.  Unfortunately, I could not turn with the Cessna 172 float plane with live weather, even with the water rudders in the water

I see the same problem at PALH (NW water runway) with Live weather.

Note:

Does VRMM have water runways?

Edited by vonmar

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

9 minutes ago, vonmar said:

I see the same problem at PALH with Live weather.

Note:

Does VRMM have water runways?

Yes, the takeoff for the Twin Otters for Trans Maldivian Airways is right next to VRMM.  If you have been to VRMM before, you can transfer from international flights, to the seaplanes (ie. Twin Otters on floats) operated by Trans Maldivian Airways, inside VRMM.  The seaplanes take off in the ocean (or inlet), next to VRMM. Technically, the seaplanes take off from a different terminal than the main VRMM terminal - they will drive you by car or van, to the terminal where the seaplanes take off. 

Edited by abrams_tank

3 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

Yes, the takeoff for the Twin Otters for Trans Maldivian Airways is right next to VRMM.  If you have been to VRMM before, you can transfer from international flights, to the seaplanes (ie. Twin Otters on floats) operated by Trans Maldivian Airways.  The seaplanes take off in the ocean (or inlet), next to VRMM.

I should have asked:

Can you start a MSFS float plane flight on a water runway at VRMM.

Best Regards,

1 minute ago, vonmar said:

I should have asked:

Can you start a MSFS float plane flight on a water runway at VRMM.

Unfortunately, there is no way that I know of, to start a seaplane on the water runway at VRMM.  I just spawn into the main runway at VRMM, and just slew to the water runway.

1 hour ago, darshonaut said:

use the modded version, it works fine :

https://de.flightsim.to/file/15805/cessna-172-amphibian

Water turning is broken since many many months if no water rudder is added for a single engine aircraft. Sadly this breaks all the Asobo default water aircraft (except the Icon A5 I believe). The Payware Asobos are fine, however.

Thanks for the link!  Anyways, I do hope that Asobo fixes the water rudder issues for the default aircraft.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

Anyways, I do hope that Asobo fixes the water rudder issues for the default aircraft.

Just to verify.

I tested without live weather and the default Cessna floatplane turns ok with the rudder / water rudder.

Are you seeing the same?

Best Regards,

6 minutes ago, vonmar said:

Just to verify.

I tested without live weather and the default Cessna floatplane turns ok with the rudder / water rudder.

Are you seeing the same?

For me, I can turn up to a certain point. I think approximately 70 degrees?  But if I try to turn more than that, it just won't turn.  I tried turning to the right, and it stops turning after a certain point. In theory, I should be able to turn a full 360 degrees.  This is with live weather enabled, on the water east of VRMM, with the default Cessna 172 G1000 float plane (I believe with clear skies and completely calm weather, this turning problem doesn't happen). I am using a Thrustmaster 16000m and I am using the Z-axis on the Thrustmaster 16000m for my rudder.

Were you using the default Cessna 172 G1000 float plane, or were you using the one from flightsim.to that @darshonaut mentioned?

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 1

I find the Fenix A320 doesn't turn well in the water either - unrealistic!    I bet Sully never had to put up with this problem!  :unsure:

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

52 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

For me, I can turn up to a certain point. I think approximately 70 degrees?  But if I try to turn more than that, it just won't turn.  I tried turning to the right, and it stops turning after a certain point. In theory, I should be able to turn a full 360 degrees.  This is with live weather enabled, on the water east of VRMM, with the default Cessna 172 G1000 float plane (I believe with clear skies and completely calm weather, this turning problem doesn't happen). I am using a Thrustmaster 16000m and I am using the Z-axis on the Thrustmaster 16000m for my rudder.

Were you using the default Cessna 172 G1000 float plane, or were you using the one from flightsim.to that @darshonaut mentioned?

This is exactly the behavior I have seen with every default float plane... It's not a joystick issue.  Quite frustrating actually as it makes float planes sort of pointless outside of taking off and landing in a straight line.  

• Like 2

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg