Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

Twin Otter on floats won't turn in the water

Just now, psolk said:

This is exactly the behavior I have seen with every default float plane... It's not a joystick issue.  Quite frustrating actually as it makes float planes sort of pointless outside of taking off and landing in a straight line.  

Yeah, I hope they fix this.  Oh well, they got a lot of stuff on their plate, so I'm not going to bother them for now, as much as the water rudder behavior annoys me with the Cessna 172 G1000 float plane. After maybe 2 years though, I will personally start to nag them to fix it.  They mentioned that they may redo the water physics as well, so I can wait 2 years, before I start to get vocal about it.

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

16 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

Yeah, I hope they fix this.  Oh well, they got a lot of stuff on their plate, so I'm not going to bother them for now, as much as the water rudder behavior annoys me with the Cessna 172 G1000 float plane. After maybe 2 years though, I will personally start to nag them to fix it.  They mentioned that they may redo the water physics as well, so I can wait 2 years, before I start to get vocal about it.

Well it's been 2 years since release and it's not fixed so when is the appropriate time to "get vocal?"  2 more years would be 4 years after release we'd have functioning default float planes. 

It's not a deal breaker for me but it certainly shouldn't take 4 years to address and get the default float planes working on water and I don't think they deserve another 2 years before we "nag them to fix it."  Mind you I don't think fixing default functionality that is broken is "nagging" either.  It's either a bug or broken implementation, either one should be addressed. 

Edited by psolk

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

One of the main factors contributing to this problem is the overdone windvaning effect in MSFS which aggressively turns your floatplane into the (even only light) wind.

Turning on Auto-Rudder in the Assistance Options improves the steerability of float planes on the water a lot, because it disables all wind effects while on the ground/water.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, psolk said:

Well it's been 2 years since release and it's not fixed so when is the appropriate time to "get vocal?"  2 more years would be 4 years after release we'd have functioning default float planes. 

It's not a deal breaker for me but it certainly shouldn't take 4 years to address and get the default float planes working on water...  

I see in the official MSFS forum, a poster there claims that some issues regarding seaplanes and floatplanes have been added to the backlog: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/floatplanes-support/186595/58.  But I don't know where that backlog is with the new list of items added for seaplanes/floatplanes.

You can also vote for here for the bug related to seaplane/floatplane behavior on water: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/unrealistic-water-physics-for-float-planes/452272. I voted for it just now.

2 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

One of the main factors contributing to this problem is the overdone windvaning effect in MSFS which aggressively turns your floatplane into the (even only light) wind.

Turning on Auto-Rudder in the Assistance Options improves the steerability of float planes on the water a lot, because it disables all wind effects while on the ground/water.

Will give that a try.  I don't typically use auto-rudder.

Thank you

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

2 minutes ago, psolk said:

Will give that a try.  I don't typically use auto-rudder.

Me neither. I only use it with floatplanes as a workaround.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

Me neither. I only use it with floatplanes as a workaround.

Note to self: Turn on autorudder in the Options menu, after you have landed the floatplane, then turn off autorudder after exiting the flight and returning the main menu 🤣.

Edited by abrams_tank

1 hour ago, RALF9636 said:

oh this is a good idea, I must try this. Thank you. As far as I read, this effect gradually fades until one reaches 300 feet AGL. I remember using it with a warbird that I found hard to control on the runway, but haven't used the option in a long time.

What I find a bit odd is that the Husky, Ju52, Dornier Wal and Marchetti S.55 turn well on water using rudder, just not the other Asobo aircraft that you get for free and some other paid for addons also suffer from this (Zenith 701).

I will try the auto rudder thing ! Time to fly in the RTMM scenery again 🙂

my African sceneries for MSFS : https://darshonaut.blogspot.com/p/msfs-2020.html

3 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

Were you using the default Cessna 172 G1000 float plane

Yes.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW