Sign in to follow this  
Virtual-Chris

Any good YouTube reviews of ATC solutions?

They are all phonetically garbage, procedurally obviously miles ahead of stock MSFS. Given that Microsoft has access to all sorts of voice technologies, I am expecting that eventually they're going to get their word not allowed together and provide a revolutionary solution and completely re-write this amateur hour ATC system they have. Assuming this will be a massive undertaking, but I don't care as they have access to a massive number of resources in Redmond. I think they need to feel a lot larger pressure from the community to prioritize it, but instead people are asking for nonsense like trains and other things... 

• Like 1

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

I would have to echo the sentiments around Pilot2atc.  It's does much of what is requested here and is certainly the most well-rounded solution relative to the other options currently available.  The chatter files that can be added also make it more immersive.  It can't control other traffic, but I don't believe any other solution (save for the MSFS's native ATC?) does that either.  I understand FSHud injects it's own traffic and controls it, but I've also seen complaints that traffic is sparse at your arrival airport.

I've also seen complaints here and there that Pilot2atc appears cluttered or complex, but once you realize the screen is divided into specific segments that focus on their own things, it's really not that complex at all.  I'm a fan of simplicity as much as the next guy and didn't really find it all that difficult to learn.  

Edited by mikeklimek

Pilot'ATC is the best of all, at the moment. 

Intel i7-9700K - Asus Nvidia RTX 2080 Super - 32 Gb Ram - SSD Drive - Win10 x64 - Samsung 43" 4K TV

41 minutes ago, Drumcode said:

Given that Microsoft has access to all sorts of voice technologies, I am expecting that eventually they're going to get their word not allowed together and provide a revolutionary solution and completely re-write this amateur hour ATC system they have.

The text-to-speech APIs that Microsoft and Google have developed are publicly available, and I wonder why almost none of 3rd party ATC solutions use them instead of the awful sounding ways they just stich word recordings together. At a glance it doesn't seem like the pricing for using the APIs would be prohibitive for an ATC addon, but then again I haven't sat down and done an actual project cost calculation. 

• Like 1

Thanks all. I think I’m going to go with Pilot2ATC with some Windows/AWS voices.

Given that, I heard a demo of ATC-Chatter and really didn’t like it. It was so obviously American and also very obvious that it was just nonsense for what was in the local airspace… thus immersion breaking. 

Does Pilot2ATC not even talk to AIG AI traffic? (To be clear… I don’t care if they control them, just talk to them). 

What will talk to AIG injected AI? Can I have the default ATC on talking to AI and mix that with Pilot2ATC for my flight?

Edit: one other question… what do you do to setup Pilot2ATC to assign you an approach on arrival?

Edited by Virtual-Chris

35 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

Given that, I heard a demo of ATC-Chatter and really didn’t like it. It was so obviously American and also very obvious that it was just nonsense for what was in the local airspace… thus immersion breaking. 
Does Pilot2ATC not even talk to AIG AI traffic? (To be clear… I don’t care if they control them, just talk to them). 

I like ATC chatter, the full version has clips from all over the world. Occasionally I use a little known alternative, which is to use Pilot2ATC in the normal way, but combined with passive use of MSFS ATC to hear the default ATC conversation with AI traffic. Sure, it can be odd to hear two different ATC voices on the same frequency, but it's not as bad as it sounds.

I also highly recommend using Pilot2ATC with free MS mobile voices using a fairly simple registry hack.

• Like 1

International chatter files >>  https://www.stickandrudderstudios.com/

P2A works really well and as mentioned - the developer ( Dave ) is constantly engaged with us users and new updates in beta come every few weeks.  

Also,  Pilito2ATC has its own forum here on avsim.  You should start posting there.

• Like 1

I have experience with both PF3 and P2ATC solutions, still waiting for the ‘one solution to rule them all’…

PF3:
Best for imersion, nice regional voices with radio distortion. Full Ai handeling, which is nice. Controllers even on occasion make mistakes and correct them. SID, STAR and approach handeling is the downside for me, no variaton there. The program follows the route that you filed up front. If approach runway changes and star doesnt connect, you need to fix it in flight. Supports 1 hold point and assigns this by chance%

P2ATC:
Best in my opinion in giving an experience which is not pre set in rails. Will assign you a random SID, STAR and approach. So that will give some variation. Voices are to clear for my taste, would love some radio distortion. Furthermore no Ai handeling, besides traffic calls. And no holdings supported as well.

To sum it up: Immersion, Ai handling and holdings from PF3 combined with the route handling of P2ATC would be my personal go to ATC solution. Are you reading along FSHud? 😉

Edited by Vensaj
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Virtual-Chris said:

Edit: one other question… what do you do to setup Pilot2ATC to assign you an approach on arrival?

On the right side of the application is a 'Config' button that when pressed, opens up a config window with a row of tabs at the top based on the type of settings you want to configure.  There is a 'Flt Pln' tab.  Click on that and you will see a list of ATC options, among them, "ATC Assign Approaches".  Ensure that is checked and it will assign your approaches as you near your destination.

• Like 2

@Virtual-Chris

6 hours ago, Virtual-Chris said:

I think I’m going to go with Pilot2ATC with some Windows/AWS voices.

For the moment with MSFS (but not P3D), I think you will enjoy its features (with or without AI Comms)

A plus for P2A is it can be used alongside MCE as it too uses speech recognition / sapi 5 TTS ........ thus you'll have the same copilot for all cockpit comms where as pilot you will be able to "request" ATC, ground service & aircraft actions by your copilot (PNF).

ATC using recorded voices cannot inherently do that.

for now, cheers

john martin

23 minutes ago, vadriver said:

@Virtual-Chris

For the moment with MSFS (but not P3D), I think you will enjoy its features (with or without AI Comms)

A plus for P2A is it can be used alongside MCE as it too uses speech recognition / sapi 5 TTS ........ thus you'll have the same copilot for all cockpit comms where as pilot you will be able to "request" ATC, ground service & aircraft actions by your copilot (PNF).

ATC using recorded voices cannot inherently do that.

Tell me more about MCE… what can that do?

5 hours ago, Virtual-Chris said:

Tell me more about MCE… what can that do?

http://www.multicrewxp.com/index.html

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

15 hours ago, Virtual-Chris said:

Sadly, I read through that earlier and maybe I'm dense but it didn't tell me much about what it does or what benefits to the experience I would receive from using it... which is why I asked here.

It's a crew simulation. It adds a First Officer similar to what FS2Crew does, with the difference that MCE can do a lot more and is dynamic rather than following a strict script like FS2Crew. You can customize your own flows and procedures for the F/O to accomplish throughout your flight as well as create custom checklists. For example, I use a real world airline's SOPs and checklists for several of their aircraft including callouts and emergency procedures as you can freely script what your F/O is supposed to do and say, when and how, etc. It's fully based on speech recognition so you talk with your F/O (and ATC) throughout the flight.

It also includes integration with some ATC addons like PF3 and, I think, P2A. It has a free demo including documentation on how it works, including ATC integration.

Edited by threegreen
  • Like 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

44 minutes ago, threegreen said:

It's a crew simulation. It adds a First Officer similar to what FS2Crew does, with the difference that MCE can do a lot more and is dynamic rather than following a strict script like FS2Crew. You can customize your own flows and procedures for the F/O to accomplish throughout your flight as well as create custom checklists. For example, I use a real world airline's SOPs and checklists for several of their aircraft including callouts and emergency procedures as you can freely script what your F/O is supposed to do and say, when and how, etc. It's fully based on speech recognition so you talk with your F/O (and ATC) throughout the flight.

It also includes integration with some ATC addons like PF3 and, I think, P2A. It has a free demo including documentation on how it works, including ATC integration.

I see thanks. I’m not sure I want to invest time in that kind of thing.