Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

I love how study level airliners are so much cheaper in MSFS

Cockpit isn't bad, but the texturing on the panels could be better, a bit of a cartoony look considering this is PMDG.
That doesn't matter to me that much though.

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Like 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

6 minutes ago, MySound said:

But it is what it is. How much fun and pleasure does it give you? 
And there is A LOT of work put into these addons. So 100$ still is a fair price. 
But as always in software engineering - people think it’s just some coding. 

And if you compare baseball gloves - another example: I just bought the M Performance rims for my new car - 4500€. And they just spin round like other rims. So…. Are they more complex than a PMDG 737 or a Fenix? Maybe not. 
Did it take longer to build them than a software addon? Maybe also not. 
So yeah. 

I personally pay people more for good work - just for the sake of supporting them and their next work. 

All fair points.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

Found a bug already, throttle at zero, engines stuck at 100%.

Edit - Seems to be just the MSFS overlay is mismatched to the actual setting maybe.

Anyhow, it flies fairly good, pretty easy to land, which I believe most 737-600's should be relatively speaking.
The 747 a lot harder to land smoothly.

It's a lot of fun to fly, will probably be one of my regulars now.

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Like 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

2 hours ago, Reader said:

Your choice but you missed some remarkably good aircraft simulations.

which has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with either a payware addon or Microsoft Flight Simulator.
The Project Tupolev Tu 154 for FS9 was "study level" before the term study level was invented and was and is entirely free of charge.
It is, however, also utterly irrelevant to this discussion.

I was not interested, as everything looked pretty poor imo.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

So I see CYVR by FSimStudios for XP is 21.50 Euro: https://secure.simmarket.com/fsimstudios-vancouver-international-airport-cyvr-x-plane-11.phtml..  The same CYVR by FSimStudios for MSFS is 15.50 Euro: https://secure.simmarket.com/fsimstudios-vancouver-international-airport-cyvr-msfs.phtml

I was talking to an XP user in Twitch chat, and that XP user says scenery and other add-ons are more expensive in XP, than MSFS, in general.  Is this true?

Edited by abrams_tank

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

1 hour ago, abrams_tank said:

So I see CYVR by FSimStudios for XP is 21.50 Euro: https://secure.simmarket.com/fsimstudios-vancouver-international-airport-cyvr-x-plane-11.phtml..  The same CYVR by FSimStudios for MSFS is 15.50 Euro: https://secure.simmarket.com/fsimstudios-vancouver-international-airport-cyvr-msfs.phtml

I was talking to an XP user in Twitch chat, and that XP user says scenery and other add-ons are more expensive in XP, than MSFS, in general.  Is this true?

No, only at the beginning devs were bringing out top notch scenery for 15 dollars (like Flytampa KLAS), assuming that the number of sales will be huge. It turned out that was wrong, scenery on MSFS only sells a bit more than on previous sims, which is quite bad, considering the user base is like 50 times that of P3D or XPL. So they raised prices to P3D/XPL levels again, though those released in 2020 remained down. Now sales could go up again with the release of all those study level airliners, with many hard core simmers either switching from P3D/XPL or flight sim newcomers becoming interested in those study level airliners, so I think we'll see lower prices in the future, though not as low as in 2020.

4 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

No, only at the beginning devs were bringing out top notch scenery for 15 dollars (like Flytampa KLAS), assuming that the number of sales will be huge. It turned out that was wrong, scenery on MSFS only sells a bit more than on previous sims, which is quite bad, considering the user base is like 50 times that of P3D or XPL. So they raised prices to P3D/XPL levels again, though those released in 2020 remained down. Now sales could go up again with the release of all those study level airliners, with many hard core simmers either switching from P3D/XPL or flight sim newcomers becoming interested in those study level airliners, so I think we'll see lower prices in the future, though not as low as in 2020.

The price for CYVR from FSimStudios is about the same now as when it released in 2021.  I bought it for around this price for MSFS, for around 15.50 Euro.

On 7/30/2022 at 6:01 PM, PilotPete99 said:

I think with respect to the Fenix A320, your point is spot on. To me, that bird was a bargain for that kind of quality. I don’t necessarily agree with respect to PMDG. They will sell you a stand alone 737 variant at a good price, but then you get gouged on the full set of variants, at least based upon what PMDG says they will charge for the remaining variants. However, in general your point is well taken.

Cheers, Pete

Maybe it's just me, but if someone has a 737-x00 NG, I don't see what more they would get from paying again (e.g. a la PMDG) for a 737-y00 NG. The cockpit will be the same, the controls the same and the flight experience mostly the same apart from the numbers.

Ditto the Airbus A318-321 family. If you've got one of them you've pretty much got all of them, assuming they're from the same developer.

I'm probably overlooking something - what am I missing in this analysis?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abrams_tank said:

The price for CYVR from FSimStudios is about the same now as when it released in 2021.  I bought it for around this price for MSFS, for around 15.50 Euro.

Well usually devs don't increase prices after release, so that says nothing about whether it gained them as many sales as they hoped for. Also keep in mind CYVR is a very popular airport, so that might sell much more than let's say Valencia or Nuremberg.

16 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

Well usually devs don't increase prices after release, so that says nothing about whether it gained them as many sales as they hoped for. Also keep in mind CYVR is a very popular airport, so that might sell much more than let's say Valencia or Nuremberg.

FSimStudios is about to release CYEG for MSFS.  I'll report back here when CYEG is released for MSFS. Currently, CYEG is going for $19.99 USD for XP 11, but it's also been released for a while so I don't know if the price has been reduced for CYEG in XP 11 : https://www.fsimstudios.com/product/edmonton-cyeg-xp11

Edited by abrams_tank

So now we are going to talk about scenery prices now when the aircraft argument was lost. PMDG products in MSFS will not be cheaper than P3D but probably on par, they must not want or care to sell more than 1 or 2 variants of the 737 to even the hardcore user on this platform. It will be interesting what the 777 price will be, its almost guaranteed to be much more expensive than any of the 737's. My prediction is around $89 - $99 here. Thats not cheaper than anything in X-Plane other than the HS Challenger 650.

Edited by jbdbow1970

8 minutes ago, jbdbow1970 said:

So now we are going to talk about scenery prices now when the aircraft argument was lost.

It was?

10 minutes ago, jbdbow1970 said:

they must not want or care to sell more than 1 or 2 variants of the 737 to even the hardcore user on this platform. 

That’s correct. PMDG have correctly identified that the market has changed.
In MSFS2020 the vast majority of people who buy a PMDG product will only buy one variant.

For that majority the price is very good indeed.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jbdbow1970 said:

So now we are going to talk about scenery prices now when the aircraft argument was lost. PMDG products in MSFS will not be cheaper than P3D but probably on par, they must not want or care to sell more than 1 or 2 variants of the 737 to even the hardcore user on this platform. It will be interesting what the 777 price will be, its almost guaranteed to be much more expensive than any of the 737's. My prediction is around $89 - $99 here. Thats not cheaper than anything in X-Plane other than the HS Challenger 650.

I'm not aware that a study level airliner, at the fidelity of PMDG, released at $35 USD for P3D.

For me, I only want the 800 variant. I suspect PMDG will price the 800 between $50 to $70 USD. That's way cheaper than what I would pay on P3D.  So I'm not sure what you mean when you say "the aircraft argument was lost."

16 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

It was?

That’s correct. PMDG have correctly identified that the market has changed.
In MSFS2020 the vast majority of people who buy a PMDG product will only buy one variant.

For that majority the price is very good indeed.

I seriously doubt they will sell to the G.A  VFR market which on this platform have much more users than the IFR. FL 350 airline user market. Majority just want to fly slow planes and sight see and complain about clouds. If those folks want to use airliners they will just use the free fabulous FBW A320 or the modified 787 or the 747 to get their high level fix than go back to G.A. flying. Did PMDG make plenty of money off the DC-6 and the 73-700 in MSFS probably so, will they retire making products for MSFS or P3D probably not. They would probably sell more turbo prop type aircraft than anything else.

Edited by jbdbow1970

On 7/30/2022 at 6:55 PM, Alpine Scenery said:

Cockpit isn't bad, but the texturing on the panels could be better, a bit of a cartoony look considering this is PMDG.
That doesn't matter to me that much though.

True!  They are working on a textures update to come along with the flight pad.  Hopefully to be released soon.  I really like it for the price.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.