Sign in to follow this  
Howellerman

My Flightsim experience just improved ten-fold!

Cataract surgery!

It got so bad I had to stop motorcycle riding - I was a danger to myself because of my inability to see into the corners, and my peripheral vision was shot. Even the big E on the chart looked like Klingon! I had the left eye done first, and the contrast to the right eye caused an immediate decision to finish both eyes. 

I elected to remain near-sighted, as 90-percent of everything I do day-to-day (reading, computer, cooking, phone, et al) is within 1-3 feet of me. However, I did get a pair of glasses that is optimized for the computer and the perceived detail while flying is simply amazing.

Highly recommended!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

I've had both of mine done within the last 3 months ans I agree, a huge improvement.

All done on the fantastic NHS for free.

I just had a new prescription for my bi-focals two weeks ago by my VA doctor. Wow! What a difference the new prescription has made.  The doctor said I will likely need to have my cataracts in both eyes removed sometime within the next few months.

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

About to have the second eye done.  When it's finished to celebrate I'm going to get that Reverb G2.

4 hours ago, n4gix said:

The doctor said I will likely need to have my cataracts in both eyes removed sometime within the next few months.

I was gobsmoked to learn that the "operation" was quick, and strictly an outpatient procedure.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Been there, done that. The only problem is being awake while they do it. Watching the tools come at you; is nervous making. It's well worth it though.

I've had both my eyes done.  Well worth it and it's painless.  But as Sue just posted it might be a bit squeamish for women.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

2 hours ago, birdguy said:

But as Sue just posted it might be a bit squeamish for women.

I don't think that was what she was implying. I can think of several men, including me, who would be a bit squeamish.

Edited by dmwalker

Dugald Walker

2 hours ago, dmwalker said:

I don't think that was what she was implying.

I was just yanking Sue's chain.  We're friends.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.