Sign in to follow this  
avi8tir

Should FPS be limited through Nvidia?

As fast as your computer can handle, but minimum at 30 if you ask me.

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

I use 30 and it works out great. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Been using 30 set in NCP since day 1. I briefly tried 40 with SU10 beta but it added 10 degrees to my card and looked and felt identical to 30 so went back to 30 and a cooler card.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

I use 20 and no problems.  30 works on my machine but why go higher than you notice?  It keeps everything smooth with good graphics and no slide shows.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, avi8tir said:

Is this still recommended these days? If so, what FPS is recommended? 

Can't be answered in general. I never ever limited fps in anyway. Performance is great. Butter smooth. Just use what works for you. Who cares what others do on their (probably completely different) computers? I also don't understand why people answer this question without knowing any PC specs. Utterly useless.

Edited by tup61
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Oh boy you do realize you’re going to wake the 130fps trolls 😂

I have Vsync turned on on Nvidia Control Panel and the. use Riva Tuner to limit fps based on what I am flying, the beauty of doing this is that you can change the locked values on the fly. Typically I lock to 30 fps in complex aircraft like the Fenix A320 or PMDG 737, doing this really makes a huge difference to the power draw and temps of my 3080TI. For GA sightseeing trips I change to locked 60 fps. 
I really wish we were able to have a couple of profiles for general settings so you could choose which one you are using for different scenarios. I’m also hoping for a genius in the community to develop a plug-in that dynamically adjusts the TLOD as you get closer to the ground and then on the ground. This would be a fantastic tool to have. 
I’m interested to see what Sim update 10 gives with the option of using DLSS 

Either way i find its better these days to lock fps out of the sim. 

• Like 1

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

5 minutes ago, tup61 said:

Utterly useless.

If the question was indeed utterly useless, it would not have been asked and debated at such lengths for years.
In general, an unlimited frame rate will use up valuable system resources chasing a frame rate that might be much
better used to enhance the overall performance.
As posted above, chasing frame rates also makes all systems work harder than is necessary.
My own preference is to use RTSS, set at 30 fps.
Performance is unaffected and the CPU runs around 10 degrees C cooler.

I've tried limiting to 30 fps in both the sim and in nvidia and not really found any difference at all.  What is interesting is that at 30, my new  RTX3080 runs at under 40c and very little fan noise, but at 60, it runs nearer 80c with a much higher fan speed.

I use the limiter in the sim most of the time.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

42 minutes ago, Reader said:

If the question was indeed utterly useless, it would not have been asked and debated at such lengths for years.

The question itself isn't necessarily utterly useless but it is utterly useless without knowing P specs. 

1 hour ago, St Mawgan said:

Been using 30 set in NCP since day 1. I briefly tried 40 with SU10 beta but it added 10 degrees to my card and looked and felt identical to 30 so went back to 30 and a cooler card.  

I definitely can FEEL the difference between 30 and 40, specially in turbulence.  

• Like 5

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Vsync to 30fps (60hz refresh) in-sim using the correct divider is always the best option for smooth/stutter-free over Nvidia if you're going to limit frames, or if you have a display with 120Hz refresh then can Vsync to 40FPS and get away with it depending on the rest of your settings.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 hour ago, St Mawgan said:

Surprised, I feel a massive difference between 30 and 40. It's at that low number of frames, every frame adds a lot to the fluidity. The difference between 30 and 40 when doing a slow pan is significant. 

• Like 2

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

3 hours ago, avi8tir said:

Is this still recommended these days? If so, what FPS is recommended? 

As you can see, different folks recommend different options... There is no consensus on this, as best I can tell.

Personally, I find the fps limiter in the sim to work well and have it set at 30.  Others prefer external limiters.. 😉

Try it and see how it works for you!

• Like 3

Bert

8 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

As you can see, different folks recommend different options... There is no consensus on this, as best I can tell.

Personally, I find the fps limiter in the sim to work well and have it set at 30.  Others prefer external limiters.. 😉

Try it and see how it works for you!

Bert, are you referring to the VSync options for Frame limiting? I haven't noticed an option to select limited frames.

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * Tobii ET 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders