Sign in to follow this  
avi8tir

Should FPS be limited through Nvidia?

2 minutes ago, MySound said:

For me too, thats why I have a 120 Hz OLED and FPS limited to 120.

Am I a troll? Well, maybe I have just better eyes.

Whoever doesnt see a difference between 20 and 40 FPS should maybe consider to visit a doctor.

What about 30 and 40? What about 30 and 35? Or 35 and 40? If you can spot the difference you should give Marvel Universe a call. 

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

Just now, St Mawgan said:

What about 30 and 40? What about 30 and 35? Or 35 and 40? If you can spot the difference you should give Marvel Universe a call. 

It's actually quite possible to spot the difference when you're at that low amount of frames. Fire up RTSS and change the FPS in real-time, you'll see the difference when panning. Even going from 30 to 36-38 ish is quite a stark improvement because then you hit the threshold where there's just enough frames for the pan to be smooth enough. Think some people just don't care enough or have the technical insight what to look or feel for. You don't need to be some kind of super human to feel it. You can see, even in this thread, some people find 20FPS good enough. Think most people would would find that absolutely awful to fly at, then you can always just lower the bar and pretend everyone who feel the difference is just making it up. 

• Like 4

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

23 minutes ago, Sethos said:

It's actually quite possible to spot the difference when you're at that low amount of frames. Fire up RTSS and change the FPS in real-time, you'll see the difference when panning. Even going from 30 to 36-38 ish is quite a stark improvement because then you hit the threshold where there's just enough frames for the pan to be smooth enough. Think some people just don't care enough or have the technical insight what to look or feel for. You don't need to be some kind of super human to feel it. You can see, even in this thread, some people find 20FPS good enough. Think most people would would find that absolutely awful to fly at, then you can always just lower the bar and pretend everyone who feel the difference is just making it up. 

At 30fps, panning around the cockpit is exactly as smooth as it is at 40. On my system. With my eyes. Identical. 

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

46 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

You mean people with a different opinion? 🙄

Not at all,

Some people have no option but to limit a lower fps due to not having the latest and greatest hardware and it may help them have a better experience in MSFS, it happens a lot that those who do this get bashed for stating it helps them. At the end of the day we are all here because we have a passion for aviation and not to fight with other enthusiasts. Posting in any forum can be like sending a text message, meaning it can be completely taken out of context.

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

1 minute ago, St Mawgan said:

At 30fps, panning around the cockpit is exactly as smooth as it is at 40. On my system. With my eyes. Identical. 

Well, that's a you problem. One does not need to be a wizard to see a difference in a massive 33.33% extra frames on your screen. Some people just don't have the eyesight or perhaps have trained their brain over many years of using high refresh / framerates to spot the difference. As I said, some people in this thread are using 20FPS and others are even arguing most couldn't spot the difference between 30 and 60 in a blind test, which to me is just crazy. Could spot that in a heartbeat. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

6 minutes ago, Sethos said:

Well, that's a you problem. One does not need to be a wizard to see a difference in a massive 33.33% extra frames on your screen. Some people just don't have the eyesight or perhaps have trained their brain over many years of using high refresh / framerates to spot the difference. As I said, some people in this thread are using 20FPS and others are even arguing most couldn't spot the difference between 30 and 60 in a blind test, which to me is just crazy. Could spot that in a heartbeat. 

A 'me' problem?  What does that mean? 

I would guess and guess only that the FPS chasing crowd is justifying paying way too much for hardware to run MSFS😁

It's personal choice, but I'm on Seb's side when he said you don't really need more than 30FPS. I was on that side before he even said it, because usually you want more FPS when you have animated characters and fast action, which you don't have in the simulator.

I also predicted something else Seb warned about: those who chase high FPS will eventually experience a gradual reduction in their achievable frames; they did a lot of optimisation to create headroom for all the future features people have requested and they already planned, which has given users much higher FPS, but once new features are implemented, frames will start to drop off again. So his comment about "30FPS should really be fine" was a bit of a cautionary tale.

Edited by March Hare

1 hour ago, RJC68 said:

Not at all,

Some people have no option but to limit a lower fps due to not having the latest and greatest hardware and it may help them have a better experience in MSFS, it happens a lot that those who do this get bashed for stating it helps them. At the end of the day we are all here because we have a passion for aviation and not to fight with other enthusiasts. Posting in any forum can be like sending a text message, meaning it can be completely taken out of context.

So why call them Trolls, when it’s quite evident they aren’t? 

1 hour ago, St Mawgan said:

As soon as one starts to use any headtracker the advantage of higher FPS becomes apparent. Because it is not just about perceived smoothness, but also input lag reduction. Then the difference between 30 and 40 FPS is pretty substantial.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ohmsquare said:

As soon as one starts to use any headtracker the advantage of higher FPS becomes apparent. Because it is not just about perceived smoothness, but also input lag reduction. Then the difference between 30 and 40 FPS is pretty substantial.

Ah ok, I don't use a headtracker. 

36 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

So why call them Trolls, when it’s quite evident they aren’t? 

Ok poor choice of phrase !

• Like 1

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

38 minutes ago, Ohmsquare said:

Yup, 40 minimum. Next step up with TrackIR is 60. Because 50 isn’t smooth as trackIR operates at 120hz. 

14 hours ago, reignman40 said:

I cap my frames at 45 through RivaTuner. It is a nice balance between frames and GPU temps. 

I tried Riva for capping in P3D and MSFS, as well NVCP's limiting controls.  Both of these options were clearly worse in terms of smooth, stutter-free performance even at the same frame rate, then by using Vsync.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

4 hours ago, MySound said:

Whoever doesnt see a difference between 20 and 40 FPS should maybe consider to visit a doctor.

I'd very much like to secretly be present in that consultation 😉

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”