Sign in to follow this  
avi8tir

Massive temporary FPS loss around weather

I have a 12900K with an ASUS 3080ti and usually see frame rates in the 50-90 range when in flight and as low as 25-30 sometimes when starting a flight at a high end 3rd party airport in the PMDG 737. 

If I am flying around weather, I sometimes see FPS drop into the single digits for several minutes... perhaps 5 - 10 minutes. Usually on approach (coming back down into the weather). 

My internet connection is hard wired and have gigabit that runs as advertised from my provider.... not sure if this matters but I know this can impact things sometimes. 

Does anyone else experience this? Quite annoying as I had an approach recently with lower vis and clouds/fog almost to the ground. touched down and rolled out with it sitting around 5 FPS.... was a rough landing due to this lol. 

28 minutes ago, avi8tir said:

I have a 12900K with an ASUS 3080ti and usually see frame rates in the 50-90 range when in flight and as low as 25-30 sometimes when starting a flight at a high end 3rd party airport in the PMDG 737. 

If I am flying around weather, I sometimes see FPS drop into the single digits for several minutes... perhaps 5 - 10 minutes. Usually on approach (coming back down into the weather). 

My internet connection is hard wired and have gigabit that runs as advertised from my provider.... not sure if this matters but I know this can impact things sometimes. 

Does anyone else experience this? Quite annoying as I had an approach recently with lower vis and clouds/fog almost to the ground. touched down and rolled out with it sitting around 5 FPS.... was a rough landing due to this lol. 

This does not seem related to weather, but something else. Weather has little effect for me (in the 737 or not), and I only have 1080ti and a ryzen 5600x.
Is this near photogrammetry cities? Turn PG off and see if that helps.

Heavy weather will of course affect performance. But I rarely get a huge performance loss, and certainly not to the extent you are experiencing. I'm also thinking this has another cause than the weather. You have a high end system and should not get this type of fps loss. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Haze and fog affect performance for me if I run in Ultra clouds.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

I have started noting an FPS impact which I think is related to the weather... and I think some of the weather changes coming with SU10 can already be seen in SU9? At least my skies seem a lot more varied plus the elsewhere much discussed flat cloud bottom has become quite prevalent at times. Maybe I’m seeing ghosts.

Complex cloudscapes and fog/haze (as mentioned by Ixoye) seem to cost me in the order of 10 FPS. Usually dropping me to 35-40. Nothing as severe as you experience though.

Intel Core i7-10700KF and Asus GeForce RTX 3070 8GB TUF.

Edited by SuperKaro2014