Sign in to follow this  
swadeep

Moving over to MSFS from P3D

In addition to hardware considerations, a reliable wideband internet connection to the MS Azure servers is also required at all times while flying MSFS.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

6 hours ago, swadeep said:

just move over to MSFS

best decision ever. not only the switch to MSFS but just to "move over" and see how it behaves. Should be good with your setup and if anything fails in terms of visuals and or fps feel free to spend some of your 5k on some nice(r) and decent hardware. My specs are below and I am veeery smooth and fluid flying even with the Fenix (let alone the PMDG737) at bare 35fps capped through rivatuner. no fps hunting here, costs me to much time and efforts (and money) and is really not worthwhile to bother with

• Like 1

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

7 hours ago, swadeep said:
Hi guys. Have questions to ask please and appreciate your help. Been out of P3D since 2020 and haven’t flown since. Thinking of coming back now and just move over to MSFS. Was flying all study level aircrafts.
1. How’s the fps on MSFS compared to P3D V4.5? With AIG AI traffic as much as possible. Like to fly with AI traffic and mostly offline.
2. I assume no longer able to do like FS9 where you can set everything to max and 100% AI and still get above 30fps! 😅 so what can we expect here? Better than P3D? Assuming smooth performance with decent AI and settings on the high end.
3. What kind of pc specs should we go for to achieve number 2?
Thank You! 🙏🏼

This video was made back in Feb 2022 and was before I upgraded my GPU, I was using the Nvidia 1060 6GB, the rest of my specs are the same. I'm also using AIG traffic.

Edited by SierraHotel
  • Like 2

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

I was on P3D 5.3HF2 until June 2022. In the meantime I had been taking advantage of MSFS upgrade discounts for my various sceneries and kept AIG up to date for both platforms. When the PMDG 737-700 came out in May I was able to do a like for like comparison. NG aircraft, FlyTampa, LatinVFR, Flightbeam, ORBX sceneries, AIG model matching on VATSIM. Day and Night, real world weather. With the same addons and conditions between the two, MSFS pulled ahead in performance and visuals. Don't get me wrong P3D is a very stable platform and I appreciate the LM team for contributing to keeping the hobby alive the past decade, however unless you have the latest Nvidia 3K series or high end 2K series, very cloudy weather and night flying can be less than stellar unless you dropped texture quality down. And those prices until recently did not help at all. And the last few sim updates for MSFS have helped the platform considerably. With my Ryzen 3900X, 32GB DDR4, M.2 and SATA SSDs and GTX 1080, MSFS gave me what I wanted from P3D. When I had to do a Windows reinstall in June, I decided to go MSFS only until P3D 5.4 drops as I now had the Fenix for a good Airbus experience. 

So to answer you OP, yes you'll be fine with MSFS, and when GSX is released along with sim update 10 this will solidify MSFS as the enthusiast platform. Heck, airports I haven't seen anyone attempt since back in 2011 for FSX are being released now with astounding quality. So imagine my satisfaction. 

Now let me address the biggest concern most simmers had, being that Microsoft dropped FSX back in the day and cancelled Microsoft Flight. My IT people remember Zune, Kin , Windows Phone and their streaming platform that competed with Twitch. There is an inherent distrust of Microsoft's longevity in certain areas and rightfully so.  However, in their partnership with Asobo, Microsoft has given a level of transparency and engagement with not only the community but developers as well, contracting them to create first party content for their sim and world updates. It was rocky at first but they've come along nicely. And MSFS continued development is assured by two things. First it is an ideal showcase for their Azure technologies and potential global platform. Commercial Sailing training (Ship Sim)? Driving Training (Driving sim)? Who knows what's being discussed with interested parties behind the scenes. Secondly, in sim Marketplace. This is a big one. For the first time Microsoft can get a cut of the sales of third party content. Given this is the only way to get content on Xbox and many PC users like the centralized experience, it is a good revenue stream that is proper incentive for continued development. 

That all being said, yes MSFS is a good place to start and you're jumping in after majority of the teething pains have been worked out. Hope you enjoy and see you in the skies. 

• Like 6

Wow thanks so much for the replies guys! I am really grateful for everyone's input and really appreciate it. I think I am going to try my old PC first and run MSFS and will upgrade PC when the new GFX Card 4000 series are out. 

Also, as mentioned in replies, i use simbrief and activesky for p3d and loved it but assume it won't work here in msfs? I loved the wind uplink to pmdg and fslabs. Is it also the case for msfs? and real world weather just use default msfs?

i sure am gonna miss pmdg 747 777 and fslabs a3xx too but hey it will come out soon i am sure. 737 will be fine for now. How's Fenix and/pr Flybywire airbus? are they as good?

the rest i use gsx, rex (assume default msfs is good enough?), and also ezdok camera for vibrations and camera shake effects when taxi and landing? We can get those with default msfs cams? Heard it's quite good too. and lastly fs2crew was good for me too haha.

Thanks so much guys! I look forward to mor einputs if any!

Cheers!

Swadeep

• Like 1

2 hours ago, overspeed3 said:

Perhaps just up the RAM to 32 GBs...

Not required..

Bert

1 hour ago, swadeep said:

Also, as mentioned in replies, i use simbrief and activesky for p3d and loved it but assume it won't work here in msfs? I loved the wind uplink to pmdg and fslabs. Is it also the case for msfs? and real world weather just use default msfs?

i sure am gonna miss pmdg 747 777 and fslabs a3xx too but hey it will come out soon i am sure. 737 will be fine for now. How's Fenix and/pr Flybywire airbus? are they as good?

the rest i use gsx, rex (assume default msfs is good enough?), and also ezdok camera for vibrations and camera shake effects when taxi and landing? We can get those with default msfs cams? Heard it's quite good too. and lastly fs2crew was good for me too haha.

Thanks so much guys! I look forward to mor einputs if any!

Cheers!

Swadeep

a) Simbrief works just as fine, it's web based and independent of your simulator.
b) Activesky does not work, you "only" have live weather on MSFS (which is enough spot on mostly).
c) The Fenix is very good, close to the FSL (though still a bit rough because it's been released only a couple of months ago).
d) GSX will be out for MSFS within 8 weeks at the latest, at least that's what @virtuali said AFAIK (he said "this season [= summer]", which would end in september]).
e) MSFS has some okayish default camera effects, but it's not the same as chaseplane or ezdok. But you get used to it. Also there's FSRealistic for various effects, which I however don't use.

Edited by Fiorentoni

It's an excellent time to make the move to MSFS, with the upcoming Sim Update 10 scheduled for release Aug 23. It will bring much better multithreading with DX12 as well as DLSS. I think the OP should be more than fine with his specs, and I'd also advice to just try it out on the current system. 

In terms of AIG, just don't expect to run 100% AI traffic at Heathrow with all graphics settings maxed out. I have it set to around 70% which gives a decent amount of traffic. 

SSDs: No need to overspend on the latest and greatest as the Bing scenery is streamed. A good internet connection is more important. 

You also had a question re: PMDG and wind uplink. This is possible with Simbrief as it will transfer both the flight plan and the wind data which then can be loaded via the FMC. 

• Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

2 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Not required..

Incorrect. Watch your memory usage MSFS will eat 16GB very easily.

Win10Pro 22H2-19045.4123/IntelCorei7-3770K/GigabyteGA-Z68XP-UD3/32GBGSkillCL7-8-8-24/AsusRTX2070OC8GB/1TBCrucialMX500SSD/2 TB PNY CS900/(x3)1TBRAWMushkinSSDs/LGBlueRayBurner/RosewillChallengerTowerBlack/CorsairRM750wPSU/X56HOTAS/TtesportsCommanderKeyboardMousecombo/TrackIR5Pro/34inUltraWideScreenLG2560x1080p/TM2xMFDCougar/OculusQuest2/InateckKU5211PCIe3.2/LTERIVERPCIeG2S4/TMobileHomeInternet5G

MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US/Windows 11 Home 22H2 22631.3374/i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi II/RTX 4060/32GB DDR5 5600mhz/650w Gold PSU

2 minutes ago, udidwht said:

Incorrect. Watch your memory usage MSFS will eat 16GB very easily.

So..?

Bert

1 minute ago, Bert Pieke said:

So..?

Lower performance.

Win10Pro 22H2-19045.4123/IntelCorei7-3770K/GigabyteGA-Z68XP-UD3/32GBGSkillCL7-8-8-24/AsusRTX2070OC8GB/1TBCrucialMX500SSD/2 TB PNY CS900/(x3)1TBRAWMushkinSSDs/LGBlueRayBurner/RosewillChallengerTowerBlack/CorsairRM750wPSU/X56HOTAS/TtesportsCommanderKeyboardMousecombo/TrackIR5Pro/34inUltraWideScreenLG2560x1080p/TM2xMFDCougar/OculusQuest2/InateckKU5211PCIe3.2/LTERIVERPCIeG2S4/TMobileHomeInternet5G

MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US/Windows 11 Home 22H2 22631.3374/i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi II/RTX 4060/32GB DDR5 5600mhz/650w Gold PSU

Have not experienced that...maybe you are running with different settings..

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

27 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Have not experienced that...maybe you are running with different settings..

My system specs are in signature. Have sim running 1920x1080p high. The memory increase is particularly noticeable for systems when you start adding 3d party content with hi res textures.