Sign in to follow this  
hychewright

Dedicated Drive for MSFS 2020

I can't see any benefit to MFS having a drive all to itself other than making life easier for the user in terms of managing addons and configuration..  

My MFS is installed on a secondary 2TB PCIE 4.0 M2 NVME drive.  This is in addition to a primary 500GB drive of the same type and manufacturer in the slot tied to the CPU (Z690 chipset).  Load times and performance for Win11 and other apps is just stupid fast.  But MFS still takes 1 min. 36 sec to load.  So it shares space with IL2, DCS and VTOL VR since those applications are far less consequential in terms of drive space.  Everything else goes on a 4TB 7200RPM SATA drive.

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

I dont use the Honeycomb Alpha Yoke anymore, because i find it too stiff and strong to pull/push. I prefer my much more precise Virpil Alpha on a WarBRD base.

But the Honeycomb Bravo is awesome! i love it for Airbus, Twin GA and Single GA aircraft.

Regards, Jan Ast

Win 11 PC | Ryzen 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

It doesn't matter either way, I have tried all configurations. You won't get better performance moving MSFS to a dedicated drive. you might increase load time by a few seconds, but thats it.I have 4 m.2 1tb nvme drives in raid 0 and the load times are a bit faster and that's it. If you are using a traditional hard drive or a standard sata SSD, try moving to nvme m.2 drives if you can. That's about the best you can do to improve performance. I have an 8tb mechanical drive just for storage and nothing more. I honestly don't even see Sata ssd's being around much longer along with mechanical except for businesses. As m.2 drives grow and prices come down, we will have amazing nvme sizes. I get just under 20,000 mbps read and write in raid, 5,000 mbps with a single drive both read and write. Sata is so slow and nvme is crazy fast.

6 hours ago, Patriot3810 said:

I get just under 20,000 mbps read and write in raid, 5,000 mbps with a single drive both read and write. Sata is so slow and nvme is crazy fast.

Wow and they say RAID is useless on nvme. I used to have two 1tb nvme drives in RAID0. But after going from Win10 to 11 I decided to go with everything on a 2tb WD black SN850. It has read speeds up to 7000mb/s. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

it's not about nvme speed, i have the nvme combined to be a single 4tb m.2 nvme. i use to do that alot with sata ssd's so i wouldn't have a slew of hardrive letters.