Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Equations of greed......

So....

After the great mining-precipitated graphics card shortage of 2021/22 (and the subsequent mining crash) cards are finally priced recently at where I thought sanity was restored enough to tempt me into a purchase.

Accordingly, 6 days ago, I ordered a very nice-seeming MSI 3080 12gb graphics card for $769 that is due to arrive tomorrow.

Right after my purchase, those cards went out of stock.

They are now, as of this morning, back in stock, at a new price of $1,219.00

Hmmmm... 🤑

So.... now my question is: should I keep this card... Or immediately put it (box unopened) up for sale on Ebay, at the new price?

And does even thinking about it, make me part of the problem?

By the way, it also comes with a voucher for $120 of free games.

Hmmmmm...

MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 12GB GDDR6X PCI Express 4.0 ATX Video Card RTX 3080 GAMING Z TRIO 12G LHR

14-137-711-V01.jpg

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Keep it and enjoy your fortunate timing.😊

• Like 3

Vic green

I bought a card a month ago. It now costs $20 more!

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

So I have been doing this all year with Lego and I am not ashamed to admit it!  They limit to 2 at time of purchase and some sets can then almost double over night.  I've been on the receiving end more than once for being a bit late to order so I then started ordering 2 sets instead of 1 when I did get the chance... Sure enough with every set I was able to reduce my own cost by ~50% and I always priced "fairly" based on demand, no gouging.  

I don't see thinking about it as part of the problem, it's not like you are looking to somehow take advantage of someone, it's no different than choosing to sell a used car now because the market is hot.  

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

7 hours ago, Patco Lch said:

Keep it and enjoy your fortunate timing.😊

I guess we'll see how I feel once it's in my greedy little hands...

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

35 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

In just over a month the new GPUs will be announced then watch the prices drop on the old GPUs.

Glad I waited.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

Now, I had heard that Nvidia was thinking of only releasing the 4090 this year, and holding off on all the other till next year, specifically to avoid having a price War with currently outstanding stock.....

• Like 1

Devons rig

Devon, I note that this card has been "discounted" to a saner price: $809.00 after grabbing the $30 rebate coupon.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

On Amazon, I've noticed that those with lots of money will buy up available stock of an item and then resell it at a much higher price.  Thats what happened with the motherboard I wanted to buy but, after waiting quite a while, Amazon apparently got restocked and I was able to get one for the price I originally saw.

I hope to be able to buy a new GPU sometime this decade.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

2 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

In just over a month the new GPUs will be announced then watch the prices drop on the old GPUs.

Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Ti Easily Matches 3090 Ti Says Leaker | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

^^This man knows. The 40xx will be well worth the wait. The 30xx cards are still over priced by $200.

Far as reselling it, yes you would be in scalper territory but prices keep coming down so I don't think you'll get nearly what you think you would.

1 hour ago, n4gix said:

Devon, I note that this card has been "discounted" to a saner price: $809.00 after grabbing the $30 rebate coupon.

And that's just since this morning! One wonders what happened to the poor slobs who purchased in good faith, then.

Also, I note that the card is once again out of stock! Hmmmmm... was that before or after the price drop.....

Edited by HiFlyer

Devons rig

The old expression of "corporate greed" that was once a cllche is more even more pervasive today than ever - it's applies to almost every product sold today:  From food (smaller quantities for more money), pharmaceuticals, cleaning supplies, hardware, etc.  The whole list is quite extensive.  And this practice actually began way before the current 40-year high inflation that now touches all goods & services.     

• Like 1

8 hours ago, overspeed3 said:

The old expression of "corporate greed" that was once a cllche is more even more pervasive today than ever - it's applies to almost every product sold today:  From food (smaller quantities for more money), pharmaceuticals, cleaning supplies, hardware, etc.  The whole list is quite extensive.  And this practice actually began way before the current 40-year high inflation that now touches all goods & services.     

This what`s worrying the PC industry sales down 20% and with inflation could drop even more. With GPUs the AIB partners cannot cancel orders that they had more than 6 months ago they are still making 30 series cards, and Nvidia have delayed the 40 series so not to damage the AIB partners by a few month, was meant to be sept oct they will still announce the new GPUs due AMD announcing there's.

PS the national grid give a warning due to the growth of datacentres in London this could cause supply problems in the near future, wait till the gamers in London get there hands on new CPUs and GPU`s with a 1500-1600wat PSU, pulling more power than the rest of house combined.

Data center power demands mean new houses can't be built in London anymore | TechRadar

Edited by G-RFRY

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

So the card has arrived....

And jeez, is this thing huge! (Nearly 6 pounds)

Lets say that again: A nearly 6 pound graphics card.....

I remember when a powerful graphics card was as slim and light as an old paperback novel; maybe even lighter and smaller.

It comes with a big metal brace to hold it up in the case without pulling your card slot out of its socket.

So now do I keep it?

I'm tending towards yes, but just going from the size and weight of the thing, it better be a beast, on FPS, or I'm going to feel pretty disappointed.

Devons rig