Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Equations of greed......

On 8/1/2022 at 4:38 PM, HiFlyer said:

So....

After the great mining-precipitated graphics card shortage of 2021/22 (and the subsequent mining crash) cards are finally priced recently at where I thought sanity was restored enough to tempt me into a purchase.

Accordingly, 6 days ago, I ordered a very nice-seeming MSI 3080 12gb graphics card for $769 that is due to arrive tomorrow.

Right after my purchase, those cards went out of stock.

They are now, as of this morning, back in stock, at a new price of $1,219.00

Hmmmm... 🤑

So.... now my question is: should I keep this card... Or immediately put it (box unopened) up for sale on Ebay, at the new price?

And does even thinking about it, make me part of the problem?

By the way, it also comes with a voucher for $120 of free games.

Hmmmmm...

MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 12GB GDDR6X PCI Express 4.0 ATX Video Card RTX 3080 GAMING Z TRIO 12G LHR

14-137-711-V01.jpg

Keep it Devon, but don't forget to send this Great Friend of your's the old one !!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

1 minute ago, jcomm said:

Keep it Devon, but don't forget to send this Great Friend of your's the old one !!!

Boooooooooooo...! I've tried to get you a graphics card for literally y-e-e-e-eears..... 😭

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

3 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Boooooooooooo...! I've tried to get you a graphics card for literally y-e-e-e-eears..... 😭

Yeah, I know !  But I have a new powerful enough one since 1 yr when I built this desktop for MFS - an RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB is perfectly good for the use I give to the sims, and now most of my already short time to play sims at home goes to taking care of a newborn "keety"  found near a car wheel las saturday... Have to feed him, calm him, help him getting rid of his extra food after internal processing, .... 

I hope I can get a few minutes when XP12 get's released...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

16 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Yeah, I know !  But I have a new powerful enough one since 1 yr when I built this desktop for MFS - an RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB is perfectly good for the use I give to the sims, and now most of my already short time to play sims at home goes to taking care of a newborn "keety"  found near a car wheel las saturday... Have to feed him, calm him, help him getting rid of his extra food after internal processing, .... 

I hope I can get a few minutes when XP12 get's released...

Though I am not the resident Catpoint admin, I will give you one on the sly for taking in yet another "Keety". 🐈

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Small potatoes:

spacer.png

A bigger mine.

spacer.png

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I picked this up a month ago on the EVGA 23rd anniversary sale package.

EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti XC3 ULTRA GAMING, 12G-P5-3955-KR, 12GB GDDR6X, iCX3 Cooling, ARGB LED, Metal Backplate

EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G6, 80 Plus Gold 1000W, Fully Modular, Eco Mode with FDB Fan, 10 Year Warranty, Includes Power ON Self Tester, Compact 140mm Size, Power Supply

EVGA X12 Gaming Mouse, 8k, Wired, Black, Customizable, Dual Sensor, 16,000 DPI, 5 Profiles, 8 Buttons, Ambidextrous

Price $1050
  • Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 6:20 PM, HiFlyer said:

Though I am not the resident Catpoint admin, I will give you one on the sly for taking in yet another "Keety". 🐈

I'm watching you, young man. 

Allocating cat points without the authority to do so is a very serious offence.

Punishable by... YOU visiting the vet. I think you get my drift.

😒

• Like 1

Finally got a chance to play with it.....

Gave me a bit of a scare when I realized it used three power plugs, as I couldn't remember off the top of my head what exactly my current PSU had, but a quick check showed the unit was designed to power up to four cards, so I was fine.

Then I had a few system freezes and black screens: not sure about that, but windows had installed a studio driver.... Installed a gaming driver and all seems well.

Finally some FPS testing, over the heaviest place I could think of.

New York, of course.

Results are that I am generally happy with the card. Now just have to mess with some VR.

I had intended to also upgrade the motherboard and processor soon, too, but now I wonder if its necessary.....

UltrawmVcIj.jpg

High End
icJGGR.jpg

Medium

W8yepg.jpg

Devons rig

On 8/2/2022 at 5:38 AM, overspeed3 said:

The old expression of "corporate greed" that was once a cllche is more even more pervasive today than ever - it's applies to almost every product sold today:  From food (smaller quantities for more money), pharmaceuticals, cleaning supplies, hardware, etc.  The whole list is quite extensive.  And this practice actually began way before the current 40-year high inflation that now touches all goods & services.     

And the only way corporate greed works is to pay workers peanuts and treat them like dogs. 

Hence why ba, easyjet and Tui can't get any cabin crew to work for them,yet Jet2, Virgin and Qantas UK have holding pools.   We have taken a ton of BA and EZY cabin crew this summer at my airline, id say 80 percent.From all ranks, and all took voluntary redundancy and are quite happy to say they were glad to be gone after being treated with absolute contempt.  It's given me great satisfaction stealing their staff, and watching eat themselves alive this summer. 

The other 20 percent are  from Cathy, Air New Zealand and klm city hopper, when they closed there UK bases pre covid. 

You reap what you sow, and its not a hard concept to grasp.  People want to be valued not with contempt.

Edited by fluffyflops

14ppkc-6.png

15 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Finally some FPS testing, over the heaviest place I could think of.

New York, of course.

Results are that I am generally happy with the card. Now just have to mess with some VR.

I had intended to also upgrade the motherboard and processor soon, too, but now I wonder if its necessary.....

Ultra

What resolution are you running in those screenshots?   I can't quite read the resolution there on the display.

Edited by Mace

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

2 hours ago, Mace said:

What resolution are you running in those screenshots?   I can't quite read the resolution there on the display.

Devons rig

2 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

They always try to hype us up for the next big thing, and mr whatsizname comes out in his leather jacket to wink and say the new cards are gonna quadruple the FPS of the last generation.

Somehow, it never quite works out that way....

But hey, he's doing his job!

After a few years of that, however, I'm obviously a bit cynical about it, though I do admit this 3080 is a beast, and is like discovering vr all over again, maxing out the graphics in titles I once had to be super-careful with to keep acceptable VR fps.....

Devons rig

So...

Status update, I was just about to return this card. And for the stupid reason that the cards RGB lighting has the brightest, most gaudy/garish rainbow lighting ever seen as its default setting, and the software to control/change it doesn't work, and has apparently not done so in quite some time.

Unbeknownst to me, MSI has a very bad reputation regarding its board and card lighting.

For days I tried various third party lighting software, but none of them worked either. Apparently everyone is leery of messing with MSI lighting because of some bad incidents of "bricking" certain motherboards while doing so, so most third party apps ended up disabling communication with MSI boards.

Finally I found an open source software named OpenRGB to control all/multiple system devices simultaneously, which also could not see or control the card, but after joining a forum, found that there was an updated/more recent branch of the software that specifically addressed my card.

Trying that worked, and saved a customer for MSI, because if it had not worked, my next planned step was going to get on the phone and return the card.

So... Crisis averted, but as far as MSI products... Caveat Emptor!

I can guarantee that nobody here wants an eye-searingly bright rainbow in their case that they can't even just disable.

YIKES!!!

wLpPad.jpg

Edited by HiFlyer

Devons rig