Sign in to follow this  
Guest jdeane

Pylons in FSX

Guest jdeane

I've been meaning to ask if anyone can help me on this subject for ages - have just done a flight in Austria, where there were swathes of light green strips over the Alps, which seem to be the path of lines of pylons. They are in lots of other places as well - in fact, wherever there are pylons, it would seem - and look most unnatural to me.So my question is - does anyone know how to either keep the pylons but lose the green strips, or lose both the pylons AND the strips ? I've been searching on and off for quite a few months to find an answer to this, but can't come up with anything. (You can tell that I am - at last - happy with my FSX performance from the nit-picking nature of this request!!)Any suggestions?Jeremy Deane

Hi Jeremy,You could try to change the following entry in the terrain.cfg:Misc vector types - utilityTexture.xxx - -> (where xxx is the appropriate number for your cfg)StripWidthMeters=40There are two of these sections, one right after the other. Change the StripWidthMeters= to a lesser value in both sections and the utility lines should shrink.That's how it worked in FS9. I haven't done it yet in FSX. Just back up your present terrain.cfg to be on the safe side. Regards,Jim KarnNOTHING is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Guest radivil

The funny thing is I think, not 100%, that the power line right of ways are actually too small for the regulations (at least for the states I've been in) but if you made them any bigger they'd look insanely huge. I wonder why they stand out so much in FSX even though, in theory, they're set up exactly like the real world's which don't stand out that much.And, yeah, just set the StripWidthMeters to whatever you think looks good. I have mine at 20 and could probably stand to put them down to 15.Maybe they made them stand out so you didn't need to be as eagle-eyed to follow them for VFR flying?

Guest jdeane

Thank you both for these really helpful replies to my query. I have experimented with the settings in terrain.cfg, and decided that I like a value of 5 the best - still visible, but blending in with the landscape well. Looks much better now - but not so good for VFR of course! Thanks again.Jeremy