Sign in to follow this  
MNORM

Render Scaling

In order to avoid "jaggyness" on my G1000 (non analog) panels I've had to max out my Render Scaling setting.  I tried DLSS in SU10 and the jaggies are gone.....but didn't care much for the washed out appearance or the way airspeed, altitude, Torque, etc. values would blur as they changed.  I realize setting Render Scaling at 200 creates a significant performance hit and was curious if anyone else has experienced this and has a solution other than what I've done.

I have an i7-11700 and a GTX3070.  Currently using my old FS9/FSX monitor (1080p @ 60hz).  Running most settings at Ultra/High locked at 30fps and V-Sync on to get rid of tearing.

Thanks!

I have an Intel Core i7-10700KF and Asus GeForce RTX 3070 8GB TUF so pretty close to yours.

I run the sim at 2560 x 1140 and render scale 100, and did not notice ‘jaggyness’... maybe because of the extra resolution. But I guess it is one of those things where everyone will have their own perception of what is acceptable.

The resolution of the real world G1000 screen is 1024 x 768 (according to Google), and might even show some jaggyness if you got really close? I am sure there is someone here who an comment on that.

What is your antialiasing setting in the sim? Have you tried to play around with that vs. render scaling? As I undestand it, with render scale of 200, your rig renders at twice the resolution before down sampling to the screen resolution. I am not super tech savvy, but it must equate some level of super sampling and/or antialiasing.

Maybe it is time to consider a monitor upgrade as well 😉 Your rig seems to be OK for it. Nothing like having a good technical justification! ... and I assume you are running at your screens native resolution?

Edited by SuperKaro2014

You'll always get a better result in terms of graphics clarity and FPS if you set your sim resolution higher and then scale down the Render Scale, rather than set the sim resolution lower and scale up the Render Scale. For example, I have a seven-year-old machine but set the sim resolution to 4K and then set the Render Scale to 60. I get perfect results even on my antiquated equipment.

• Like 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

3 minutes ago, David Mills said:

You'll always get a better result in terms of graphics clarity and FPS if you set your sim resolution higher and then scale down the Render Scale, rather than set the sim resolution lower and scale up the Render Scale. For example, I have a seven-year-old machine but set the sim resolution to 4K and then set the Render Scale to 60. I get perfect results even on my antiquated equipment.

Interesting, I will try this with my 1440p monitor. 

So I would need to set MSFS res to 1080 and then upscale using render?

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

19 minutes ago, iFlySimX said:

Interesting, I will try this with my 1440p monitor. 

So I would need to set MSFS res to 1080 and then upscale using render?

No, just the opposite. Set MSFS res to 4K (3840x2160) and then scale down until you reach 1440p -- which translates to a Render Scale of 65. So set the Render Scale to 65 after setting MSFS to 4K (3840x2160).

Edited by David Mills
  • Like 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

2 minutes ago, David Mills said:

No, just the opposite. Set MSFS res to 4K (3840x2160) and then scale down until you reach 1440p -- which translates to a Render Scale of 65. So set the Render Scale to 65 after setting MSFS to 4K.

Can't set MSFS to 4k as I have a 1440p monitor...

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

7 minutes ago, iFlySimX said:

I wasn't aware that MSFS removed resolution-options from its menu that aren't available on a particular user's display. MSFS gives me lots of graphics-resolution choices that my TV/monitor can't match. If worse comes to worse, buy a cheap 4K TV at Walmart. They work perfectly with MSFS and you can scale the display any way you want. That's what I use. With most TVs, you're limited to 60 FPS refresh rate. But few people get anywhere near that anyway.

9 minutes ago, iFlySimX said:

I was waiting to see how you would have achieved getting the sim to render native 4k on a 1440p monitor for you to then scale it back...

Glad i didn't miss any secret settings. 

As to the OP... While i do think that tacking on a little extra renderscaling for a slight enhancement isnt too bad ( im at 115% myself) I personally think its counterproductive to use DLSS + maxing out the renderscaling.. But if that method works for you then who am i to question. 

As far as i know the DLSS implementation will presently give fuzzy gauges .. Asobo has acknowledged this and one can assume they will try to address that.

• Like 3

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

17 minutes ago, David Mills said:

No, just the opposite. Set MSFS res to 4K (3840x2160) and then scale down until you reach 1440p -- which translates to a Render Scale of 65. So set the Render Scale to 65 after setting MSFS to 4K (3840x2160).

Same situation.

I'm running a 1080p monitor with MSFS at 1080p (1980x1080 - 60 hz).

AA is set to TAA.

Texture Resolution - Ultra

V-sync on Frame Rate locked at 30fps

DX11

Anisotropic - 16X

Texture Supersampling - 8x8

I'm not using any outside graphics tool like Nvidia Inspector...I did with FS9 and FSX

Here's a fundamental question -- a question to which I don't know the answer: Does everyone see the same resolution choices in the MSFS graphics menu? Or does MSFS detect the monitor or TV resolution and then remove choices from the menu that can't be matched by the display hardware? Again, I see all kinds of resolution choices that my TV/monitor cannot possibly display correctly (at any render scaling).

11 minutes ago, Maxis said:

I was waiting to see how you would have achieved getting the sim to render native 4k on a 1440p monitor for you to then scale it back...

Glad i didn't miss any secret settings. 

As to the OP... While i do think that tacking on a little extra renderscaling for a slight enhancement isnt too bad ( im at 115% myself) I personally think its counterproductive to use DLSS + maxing out the renderscaling.. But if that method works for you then who am i to question. 

As far as i know the DLSS implementation will presently give fuzzy gauges .. Asobo has acknowledged this and one can assume they will try to address that.

I reverted back to SU9 because REX wouldn't work in SU10 (my default cloud generation in Live Weather still only works 50% of the time). So...DLSS isn't an option at this point for me.  I tried it in SU10 Beta but hated the way it would blur certain instrument values; airspeed, altitude, torque, etc.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, David Mills said:

Here's a fundamental question -- a question to which I don't know the answer: Does everyone see the same resolution choices in the MSFS graphics menu? Or does MSFS detect the monitor or TV resolution and then remove choices from the menu that can't be matched by the display hardware? Again, I see all kinds of resolution choices that my TV/monitor cannot possibly display correctly (at any render scaling).

My choices are maxed out at the native 1080p resolution of my current monitor.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, David Mills said:

Here's a fundamental question -- a question to which I don't know the answer: Does everyone see the same resolution choices in the MSFS graphics menu? 

Short answer No..

Your on a 4K tv .. which is typically a little more flexible in resolution options which is why In your drop down you have all those options. The majority of us are on Monitors where the highest native hardware resolution is the highest option available ..  ( So no 4k option on a 1440p or 1080p monitor)

Edited by Maxis
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

Thank you! I'm learning something today.

• Like 1

I have a 1920x1200 screen and can set a bunch of resolution but all lower than 1920x1200

• Like 3

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof