Sign in to follow this  
MNORM

Render Scaling

4 hours ago, Fielder said:

Using DSR to enable setting windows display to a higher resolution than my monitor's native resolution does improve the image quality in MSFS. But not by a great amount. It's like when you crank the resolution slider up in MSFS on a more conventional configuration. And it costs some fps.

It is something anyone can try by just changing one setting in Nvidia Control Panel (DSR) and then right clicking on 'Display Settings' on the desktop and clicking on a higher number in the 'Display Resolution' box. 

You can reclick that box anytime and go back to the monitor's native resolution. Doing that would restore a web browser window or a text file to a larger size for instance.

Experimenting with my 1080p monitor.  

Question: You're also using the upscaled (in my case 1440) setting in MSFS as well, correct?  That way the monitor and MSFS are at the same setting?  Then you're putting Render Scaling at the 1080p setting (in my case 75)?  I actually tried Render Scaling at 100 (1440) and it looked amazing...most of the glass cockpit jaggies are gone.

Edited by MNORM

My personal experience is renders scaling mainly effects cockpit gauges, glass screens and text label readability inside the cockpit.

For me, even quite high render scaling makes little if any difference to the scenery outside.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

even quite high render scaling makes little if any difference to the scenery outside

Like with text, the difference is mainly in small, subpixel details such as wire mesh, power lines and distant light poles that will appear less jaggy and pixelated. 

12 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

My personal experience is renders scaling mainly effects cockpit gauges, glass screens and text label readability inside the cockpit.

For me, even quite high render scaling makes little if any difference to the scenery outside.

I find Render scaling at 120 makes a huge difference to ground textures if 'sharpening' is set to 1 in UserCfg.opt. combination of the two is great.

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

18 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

It changes building textures, but yah land textures not so much.

Edit
Didn't make as much difference this time when I tried, but it affects lighting at night a little on textures.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

The only difference I notice by increasing rendering scale are a dip in fps, but my eyes are no longer what they used to be.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

I'll ask again...appreciate anyone who can verify I'm doing this correctly.

I'm experimenting with my 1080p monitor. Should I be using the upscaled (in my case 1440) resolution setting in MSFS as well?  Thus making the monitor and MSFS be at the same setting?  I tried Render Scaling at the 1080p setting (in my case 75) and it looked really good.  I actually tried Render Scaling at 100 (1440) and it looked even better.  

Edited by MNORM

If your display "looks really good," that's all that matters. I wouldn't worry about anything else.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

8 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

The only difference I notice by increasing rendering scale are a dip in fps, but my eyes are no longer what they used to be.

Same. Can't tell difference going from 100 to 120. Time for that eye check 🤣

• Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

8 minutes ago, MNORM said:

Render scale should be set to 100 when you have selected a DSR display resolution in Windows.

There is not any point to change both render scale and DSR display resolution. Use one or the other. Not both.

If you set DSR display resolution high and render scale correspondingly low, you're basically turning up the heat while opening the windows. If it feels nice for you that way, go ahead, but I would not advise such an indoor climate configuration. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MNORM said:

I'm experimenting with my 1080p monitor. Should I be using the upscaled (in my case 1440) resolution setting in MSFS as well?  Thus making the monitor and MSFS be at the same setting?  I tried Render Scaling at the 1080p setting (in my case 75) and it looked really good.  I actually tried Render Scaling at 100 (1440) and it looked even better.  

The 100 setting makes MSFS render the sim at 1440p which the monitor will downscale to fit its 1080p pixels. And that is what you want to happen. It will cost you some fps for the better image. Just like buying a 1440p monitor would cost you some fps.

Actually that's what I did, upgraded from a 32" 1080p to 32" 1440p. I then use the old 1080p for a large 32" image of things outside the sim: like LilNavMap or ChartFox (the huge free database of worldwide charts hosted by Vatsim).

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Thank you for the confirmation.  It's been a big improvement, especially for the CRT displays.

It made a difference for me once, but this last time I raised it, makes almost no difference.
Unless I am losing my mind, always a possibility, people don't know when they are losing their mind 🙂

• Like 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

On 8/2/2022 at 12:25 PM, David Mills said:

Yes, a dedicated computer monitor is of higher quality than a 4K TV (perhaps, maybe, supposedly). But a refresh rate higher than 60Hz (i.e., the refresh rate of a TV) isn't going to do you any good with MSFS, because few people exceed 60 fps in MSFS. Setting a 144 refresh rate on your monitor for a program outputting 30 fps is wasting resources. I personally use a 75-inch 4K Sony TV as my MSFS display. I sit only four feet from it. So the immersion is total and overwhelming. Even if I literally press my nose against the TV, the tiniest of screen text is flawless, even on a 75-inch display, because 4K has essentially equaled the resolution of human vision at that display size and distance. Your computer hardware is infinitely superior to mine, which is seven years old. There is no need for you to suffer the jaggy/shimmer you describe. SU10 beta does go a very long way in eliminating that unwanted effect, again depending on screen resolution and other things.

I just bought a Sony 55A80J and the numbers on the speed tape and Attitude are jaggy and I cannot seem to get them to go away. Running beta 10. Tried scaling up down but no effect. Any ideas? It does not due it on my LG

Chris Chiozza