Sign in to follow this  
Cpt_Piett

Crossing the Pacific

I'm flying the Bush League Legends ATW route in the Kodiak. It's really made for something like the Cub if you hit every airport but you can follow the basic route and pick out specific stops of your own. Kodiak is great for sightseeing even though it's not going to get you around as quickly as something like the TBM.

I think AVSIM still has the Hopping Round the World route links in the Files section which I think starts in the Falklands and ends in Canada with over 800 stops. Don't know if the It'sYourPlane route is still online but it is a fun one with around 270 stops. There used to be another one called The Six Pack with around 700 stops.

There's also a VFR World Tour for the TBM 930 on Flightsim.to that I can highly recommend, whether you fly the TBM or not and which I'm planning to do next. Comes with a lot of custom waypoints of POI and a well-done document of the entire trip and details of every leg.

• Like 2

Gee, thanks for the suggestions @ZoblebV8! The TBM tour is certainly meandering, as described on flightsim.to. It looks very interesting. I tried searching for the Bush League Legends tour but was unsuccessful. 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

2 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

Where do you finish Roy?

Will finish at  home. KEQY Monroe, North Carolina

Roy

• Upvote 1

I flew RTW in a Cherokee 180...and I did fly up the east coast of Asia, along the Amur River, then to places like Ayan, Okhotsk, Magadan, Anadyr, Provideniya and then over to Gambel and over to Nome, Alaska.  That's how I did it.  I was amazed at how big the lower Amur is, and how, there really isn't that much civilization along there.  Komsomolsk-Amur and that's about it for larger towns/cities.

As for the Atlantic, I went to Frobisher Bay / FroBay (Iqaluit) and then over to Nuuk.  That was one of my longer legs and there was some bit of apprehension on my part.  I did this in July (2019) with hopes to have the best weather possible in the North Atlantic.  At Nuuk when I landed, it was towards evening, about 50 degF and rather nice and sunny.  Next morning I woke up, and it was 40 degF and raining, with 30 knot winds.   No flying over the ice cap that day I can tell you.

Eventually I flew to the aforementioned Kulusuk that @Paul K mentions, followed by Reykjavik (city airport, not Keflavik) and on to Vagar in the Faeroe Islands, where the visibility was terrible.

• Like 3

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

3 hours ago, Roy Warren said:

Right now I'm in Bangkok, Thailand. About half way home.  Using LittleNavMaps for flight planning.  Diamond DA62 because it's twin engine and has the Garmin G1000NXi which I'm familiar with. All VFR with just enough altitude to clear any mountains.  I'm a low and slow guy.  I try to keep my flights to a couple of hours. One leg a day.  Have made 29 landings in 24 countries.  It has been a real learning experience, both from a piloting standpoint and discovering parts of the world that I have never seen.  Since I do it for viewing the scenery, I avoid long stretches over water.  So I wouldn't recommend crossing the Pacific.

Go for it.

Roy

That sounds like fun. The only reason I might try crossing the Pacific via the islands would be if I wanted a navigational challenge (i.e. not using GPS and instead using dead reckoning, pilotage, expanding square search patterns for islands etc.).

But the way you are doing it, you will see some amazing scenery.  I hope the photoscenery is good there.  Sometimes it is not so good at high latitudes.  

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Here's the 1934 air race route I've been following, as the first part of a RTW journey. Only the stops shown as rectangles were obligatory (Baghdad, Allahabad etc.); the other stops were optional and provided support facilities for the race. It largely follows the Imperial Airways / Qantas Empire service between the UK and Australia in those days. Each of the 24 legs is just long enough for an average flight-simming session, if you have a speedy aircraft. Once I reach Melbourne, I'll be continuing around the world.

Anyway, it's an idea for a route, and one that's famous in aviation history. (Rambang no longer exists, BTW, so you would have to use Lombok 's main airport.)

B8XeGrv.jpg

• Like 2

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

Iam going to start my 3rd World Tour, this time iam following the route made in the first circumnavigation in 1924, it crosses the atlantic via Faroe and Greenland, the Pacific it goes from Alaska to Russia, most of the legs are around 200/300 nm, with just 2/3 close to 600 nm. 

19 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Which has AIRAC data from 2004 I just realised.

Read 2020 April not 2004! So you're fine. 

Regarding your question about crossing the Pacific, I have completed a round the world trip with a Trinidad TB21 (turbocharged and oxygen!) last year, my itinerary on that segment of the trip was RJTT Tokyo, UHSS Juzno Sahalinz, UHPP Petropavlosk (Kamchatka), PASY Aleutians, PADU Dutch Harbor, PADQ Kodiak, CYPR Prince Rupert.

I used extensively SkyVector to plan my flights, this was by far the easiest and fastest way with all needed info for my airports, copying my plans to Simbrief and transferring them to MSFS and Aivlasoft EFB. No need for Navigraph charts, the EFB was quite sufficient with the Navigraph FMS database.

• Like 1

Bernard

CPU = 12900K / GPU = Nvidia 3090 VRAM 24 GB / RAM = 64 GB / SSD = 2 TB 980 PRO PCle 4.0 NVMe™ M.2, 

20 minutes ago, Bernard Ducret said:

Read 2020 April not 2004! So you're fine.

Yeah I completely misread that AIRAC. 

Thanks for the suggestions. 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”