Sign in to follow this  
Guest triangle

Quad Core and FSX (again)

Hi!Reading the relevant topics it seems obvious that FSX doesn't really profit from quad core CPU'S. But how about addons like Active Sky, Radar Contact, Flight sim Commander etc.? It's my understanding that the more "external" applications are running besides FSX the more a quad core will pay off.Comments?regardsMartin

CPU: Ryzen 5600 no OC, MB: MSI Tomahawk B450, RAM: 32GB DDR 3600, GPU: RX6900XT, 2TB SDD, Res: WQHD

Guest triangle

I'm no expert but:1) A quad made no difference in overall performance when I upgraded from a dual core except when initially loading FSX and when weather updates, textures change etc while in-game;2) I was also thinking today about the implications for third party programs like ASX, FS Commander, Radar Contact, Tileproxy etc. However, I run these all on a Wideclient/Simconnect client (except TP) so can't comment but was thinking, as long as you manually set each program's affinity to other than core 0, you should be good to take advantage of the remaining cores without an impact on FSX. Was considering testing this tonight when I fly.I'm sure other, more knowledgeable people will have views but, for what it's worth, that's my thinking.Andrew

>Hi!>>Reading the relevant topics it seems obvious that FSX doesn't>really profit from quad core CPU'S.Post-sp1, that is not an accurate assessment.Depends what you mean by "really profit from". With Service Pack 1, FSX certainly does make better use of other cores as experienced and reported by many. This use will not be reflected so much in raw frame rate, but rather is reported to manifest itself in texture loading.For further reading on this topic and exactly what multicore does for FSX, I would suggest the blogs, and fsinsider's and its links.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>2) I was also thinking today about the implications for third>party programs like ASX, FS Commander, Radar Contact,>Tileproxy etc. However, I run these all on a>Wideclient/Simconnect client (except TP) so can't comment but>was thinking, as long as you manually set each program's>affinity to other than core 0, you should be good to take>advantage of the remaining cores without an impact on FSX. >Was considering testing this tonight when I fly.I only run single core (AMD 3500) but what you say makes sense. Seems like a real advantage of quad core would be to allow 3rd party apps to run on a core separate to FSX and not impact its performance as much. Also i believe the upcoming AirlinerXP A320 runs as a standalone program that talks to FSX via Simconnect. This would mean the complex systems modeling and flight dynamics modeling taking place in AirlinerXP should not affect FSX performance since its running external to FSX on a separate core. I think this is a very interesting development and will usher in a new era of complex fsx aircraft simulations with high performance (via multicore utilisation).Very interesting times ahead!

Matthew S

Yeah but that gain is very modest. My FPS went from 10 to 12 FPS. I know that's a 20% increase but...120% of crap is still pretty much crap. I guess I really did expect better performance on a $6K+ system. I have reduced my sliders significantly (1X water, etc.) to get up to 20 FPS near Boston but the stuttering is still awful.Dell XPS 710QX6700 quad core4GB Ram

Wow,I think there must be an issue with FSX on your machine.I'm locked at 24FPS with UT USA and fairly high sliders with the setup listed below.Glenn

>Yeah but that gain is very modest. My FPS went from 10 to 12>FPS. I said: "This use will not be reflected so much in raw frame rate, but rather is reported to manifest itself in texture loading."There is something wrong with your config, because my old comp can beat your new quad and that should not be. Post some config info here and let all of AVSIM hardware forum take a look at it to help you...RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest triangle

Interestingly, I loaded Tileproxy Beta 5 today and decided to run windowed and watch the core usage - 99% on all four cores ... not sure what that means as I can't imagine TP needs all that CPU but i'm no coder so perhaps it takes all it can get.Andrew

Guest The Wizard of Oz

Do you get out-of-focus textures running TP Beta 5 after getting some distance away from your starting point ? Just looking whether the extra cores help in mediating this at all.WOZ

Guest triangle

Oddly enough, I do now ... since the newest beta, TP is not that great. My cores are flat stick and I average between 700 and 1000 tiles per second as the flight terrain loads and then about 200 to 300 tiles per second in game (I have a 1.5mb connection) but still, the visuals are quite degraded. Given the volume of tiles downloaded I *should* get razor sharp textures but for some reason TP is failing to 'snap' to the high res textures for me and I tend to get alot of mixed quality tiles. No biggie - I like TP but can live without it and the long loading times.Andrew

Hello all !first for one.....I don`t know what an Upgarde from Core Duo to Core Quaddoes , but......Last week i puzzeled my new Rig together:Quad Core 6600Asus P5B Deluxe Intel P965Nvidia 8800 GTX 768mb Bliss 575 or 600/1800 2 gig Kingston Hyper x 800 RamCreative FX-Iect. think that`s the most important part`s for a power Rig.( Before 4 years now ) i had a single Core Atlon 2800that i Upgarded beginning last year with:from 1 to 2 gig Ram,Nvidia 7850 Gainward Bliss 512mbAND I SWEARE TO GOD.... it is unbelivable what this Architekturehas done to FSX.I can do allmost everything now in FSXKSEA orginal with my old Rig was a desaster and a freakenslide show.....now everything is so smooth and i get an amazing Performance.I think you don`t need more this is perfect at last forme to hold FSX for the next Generation.Shure i don`t have maxed my Sliders ( that isn`t realy needed )but i am a lucky FSX user and wasen`t before.This just for all who thinking to Upgarde from ansimilar System like my old one to an Intel Core System.....for me it was worth every cent ( and it was a lot off cents )if you are a frend off FSX like me......And all is under Windows XP Prof. SP 2OK , just my meaning in that case....regardsMario G