Sign in to follow this  
mikeklimek

Jet Noobie - Start with CJ4 or Honda Jet?

Being a relative newcomer to the flight sim world, I've gotten generally comfortable learning the single pistons, double pistons, turbo props, etc.  My plan has been to work my way up bit by bit to the heavies.  I'm currently at a place where I'd like to learn the smaller jets, which I believe leads me to the CJ4 or Honda Jet.

For someone learning jets for the first time, which is the recommended aircraft?

Well, the CJ4 is included with the sim, so it's a great choice. If you get the Working Title mod for it (free), you'll have a much better experience.

That said, the Hjet is such good value for what you spend that you're almost stealing it if you buy it. Guy could easily charge $50 for that thing, but he doesn't. It's a truly stellar addon and I've spent many hours flying it. 

Neither one is really any harder to fly than the other. The Hjet's avionics are more modern and therefore easier to use, but as far as how they fly, they both are great learning platforms for getting into jets.

• Like 1

FWIW when I started the move to jets I started with the CJ4 with the Working Title mods, then the Aerosoft CRJ-700 and have now settled in comfortably with the PMDG 737. To me it seemed a logical progression.

• Like 1

Jeff | Private Pilot SEL, Tailwheel  Endorsement | A&P Mechanic

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | GPU: EVGA RTX3080 Black | MoBo: ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (WiFi) | RAM: 32Gb DDR4 3200 Mhz CL 16 | SSDs: 2Tb Samsung M.2 980 Pro, 1Tb Samsung M.2 970 Pro, | Case: Phanteks Eclipse P500A | Monitors: LG 27GP850, Dell P2715Q | Misc: Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS

Edited out content as it was a duplication

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 hour ago, mikeklimek said:

For someone learning jets for the first time, which is the recommended aircraft?

Here is a video posted just this week that might answer your question.  The Hondajet is sophisticated in features and performance, but just as it's real world namesake, it is undeniably friendly to fly.  If you might want something more complex in the future, like PMDG commercial jets, this is unquestionably where to start.  You will enjoy, and you will not give up.

The developer, a personable and engaging individual, is tireless, dedicated, and highly talented.  He continues to work on the Hjet and has taken his Hjet enhancements of the Working Title G3000 suite to a new level only found so far in this aircraft.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Oof tough choice.  Both really fun.  The HDJT is more direct entry load an approach type of fms where the CJ used the old pro line 21 (which is actually a great intro to the 737 lineup).  

They're both about the same speed the CJ a bit faster.  

Once WT gets their G3000 refresh out I'd definitely go with the HDJT but I tend to like the CJ just a teency weency better.  Mostly because the G3000 is still limited to the default flight system which isn't axlways reliable for rnav(gps).

You can't go wrong with either.  One is free though lol.

• Like 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

CJ4 (*with the excellent mod): lots of button pressing, and a good starter of you intend moving to larger commercial airliners (especially Boeing systems).

Hondajet: a view into the future of mid-level aviation. A lot of automation; more time flying and less time throwing switches and clicking buttons. You will still learn about arrivals, procedures etc but the jump to (eventual) Airbus systems will be easier than the leap to Boeing systems.

Or fly both? One is free and the other a bargain for a contrasting experience. 

• Like 1

Agree with Ryan above. I'd start with the Working Title CJ4.  Probably my most flown aircraft in the sim.  I also have the H-Jet and while it is really good, I think the G3000 might be frustrating as it still has all of the annoying flight plan/approach bugs.  H-Jet would be a buy when Asobo/WT get the G3000 updated...

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

Cj4 without a doubt, it's free and the navigation abilities of the PL21 (WT version), whilst not complete are far better than the current G3000.

The HJet will hopefully come into it's own when the 3000 has been refreshed, assuming it gets updated to new version.

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

YT is your friend. Watch some videos of the CJ4 and try out some flights. HJet is easy to set up and a blast to fly!

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

33 minutes ago, Gazzareth said:

The HJet will hopefully come into it's own when the 3000 has been refreshed, assuming it gets updated to new version.

Are you aware of the enhancements Marwan is incorporating into the Hjet G3000?  With close contact with WT?  Enhancements unique to the Hjet at this time.  A lot of that progress over the past two weeks is on final approach in the form of a Hjet update, which may land in the MS Store this evening USA PDT.  There is a separate Avsim post with changelog details.

• Like 1

Frank Patton
ASUS 

14 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Are you aware of the enhancements Marwan is incorporating into the Hjet G3000?  With close contact with WT?  Enhancements unique to the Hjet at this time.  A lot of that progress over the past two weeks is on final approach in the form of a Hjet update, which may land in the MS Store this evening USA PDT.  There is a separate Avsim post with changelog details.

Just read it, still standing by my comments above - certainly until I've tried the new version.

Doesn't seem to be anything about the G3000 flight planning/management issues though, so at THIS time I'd say CJ4. I  suspect in time (once WT have "completed" refresh of the CJ4 and G3000 and their work has been incorporated in the HJET) then the argument will be about which systems are best/easiest to learn. 

Would say I am impressed with Marwan so far though he is updating regularly.

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

3 hours ago, fppilot said:

Just learned that Marwan built the update with SU10 Beta and that will not be allowed in the SU9 store. So he is rebuilding it based on SU9 and it will now be next Thursday for the MS Store update.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

1 hour ago, fppilot said:

Just learned that Marwan built the update with SU10 Beta and that will not be allowed in the SU9 store. So he is rebuilding it based on SU9 and it will now be next Thursday for the MS Store update.

It suks to be a developer sometimes.

sp