Sign in to follow this  
bjratchf

Flight Velocity Trim Wheel Pro - Axis style problems

The FV Trim wheel pro is set up as an axis (-16383 to 16383 range) with a small knob to adjust the trim sensitivity. For hand flying, this works really well- however I have noticed that after disconnecting the autopilot, even a slight touch to the trim wheel causes an unusual attitude pitched up or down...  I thought that setting the axis in MSFS 2020 to X+ as trim up, and X- as trim down would work (basically axis as a button)... But it causes runaway trim in the direction I turn it. 

I do have Axes and Ohs as well as FSUIPC- and I'm sure there's a way to turn an axis into a buton press/event send...just trying to figure out how.

Edited by bjratchf

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

This is a known issue no fix currently available (annoying & disappointing), on the V1 discord channel there is  a post hinting at a possible fix in a future firmware update, fingers crossed.

Edited by ndoug
insert comma
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS PRIME B450-PLUS DDR4 ATX Motherboard, 8GB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, 32GB (2x16GB) Adata XPG Gammix D10 DDR4 3200MHz, GameMax Iceberg RGB Watercooler - 240mm,  1TB M.2 PCI-E NVMe Solid State Drive, 2TB SSD, 1TB HDD.

45 minutes ago, ndoug said:

This is a known issue no fix currently available (annoying & disappointing), on the V1 discord channel there is  a post hinting at a possible fix in a future firmware update, fingers crossed.

Thanks! Do you have an invite link to the V1 Discord- seems the one on their facebook has expired. 

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

10 hours ago, bjratchf said:

Thanks! Do you have an invite link to the V1 Discord- seems the one on their facebook has expired. 

https://discord.gg/nhwQgMBt

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS PRIME B450-PLUS DDR4 ATX Motherboard, 8GB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, 32GB (2x16GB) Adata XPG Gammix D10 DDR4 3200MHz, GameMax Iceberg RGB Watercooler - 240mm,  1TB M.2 PCI-E NVMe Solid State Drive, 2TB SSD, 1TB HDD.

16 hours ago, bjratchf said:

The FV Trim wheel pro is set up as an axis (-16383 to 16383 range) with a small knob to adjust the trim sensitivity. For hand flying, this works really well- however I have noticed that after disconnecting the autopilot, even a slight touch to the trim wheel causes an unusual attitude pitched up or down...  I thought that setting the axis in MSFS 2020 to X+ as trim up, and X- as trim down would work (basically axis as a button)... But it causes runaway trim in the direction I turn it.

This is a design problem inherent in using an analogue trim axis when you also have an autopilot that controls trim. It's analagous to the real-world problem of instaling an autopilot with pitch trim control in an aircraft with a manual trim wheel. There are ways around it, including a manual eletric trim system (with buttons) and/or motors that actually turn the trim wheel.

I took a quick look at the FV trim wheel and it looks like a clone of the Saitek Cessna one. Like the Saitek, it's an encoder under the covers, so you ought to be able to hack it to access the raw encoder output instead of the USB output. People have done this with the Saitek, me included. See my video for some pointers. When I did that I got the info from here. (BTW, in my implementation I missed connecting a ground wire, so I think mine needs the USB to be plugged in as well.)

• Like 1

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro