Sign in to follow this  
sunbeam60

Is MSFS ATC smoking crack or am I doing something wrong?

Deleted by self, non productive, no positive value

Edited by psolk

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

52 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Yes, I had a session like that once when I first got MSFS, and turned off default ATC forever. 

Yep, PF3 isn't perfect and requires some knowledge to ensure it doesn't do the same thing but at least you can plug the right altitudes into PF3 to avoid it... 

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

7 minutes ago, psolk said:

This is my last word on this as well and as was already said an opinion can't be wrong but IMO this was a conversation around MSFS ATC so describing how RC4 works in P3D or Xplane is not relevant to the conversation...

How does it help the OP knowing how RC4 does it in P3D?

I think we all know what would happen if @abrams_tank popped into an RC4 discussion in the P3D or XP forums to speak about how MSFS default works LOL 🤣 Sorry for picking on you Abrams_tank LOL.  

Not sure why you dragged me into this.  MSFS default ATC is very mediocre. I guess it's an improvement over FSX, but that doesn't say much, as the default FSX ATC is not that great as well.

As I mentioned before, the best ATC is VATSIM, IVAO, and PilotEdge. 

Edited by abrams_tank

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

16 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

Not sure why you dragged me into this.  MSFS default ATC is very mediocre. I guess it's an improvement over FSX, but that doesn't say much, as the default FSX ATC is not that great as well.

You are 110% right, I should not have brought you into this period end of story so I do apologize publicly as well as privately.  I edited my post and removed the reference.  

• Like 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

1 minute ago, psolk said:

You are 110% right, I should not have brought you into this period end of story so I do apologize publicly as well as privately.  I edited my post and removed the reference.  

Yeah, no problem. 

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

2 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

Vatsim and IVAO are totally useless for me. I fly all over the world and all different hours, and I don't need Unicomm for my ATC. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

This topic remind me of an old ATC joke

ATC: Cessna 75K say airspeed

Cessna 75K: airspeed…

ATC: Cessna 75K say altitude

Cessna 75K: altitude …

ATC: Cessna 75K say cancel IFR

Cessna 75K: 100kts,  4000ft

The  bottom line is you can use ATC in MSFS it does create atmospheric environment. However you don’t need to follow blindly . As Goose said in Top Gun movie “come on do your pilot sh@@@t” yourself 🙂

• Like 2

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

and i thought i talked gibberish just jokin just jokin 🙂 

Edited by icewater5

On 8/6/2022 at 4:24 AM, Alvega said:

According to the chart, the MSA for INS VOR is 5000ft when coming from southwest.

Ahh, yes! I had missed that ... though it does make me wonder why the approach starts at 4000' if the MSA in all bar 0-90 degrees is higher than 4000'.

So I don't think the ATC is wrong there. The 40 radial is strange though, do you have updated Navigraph AIRAC in the sim?

Yup, active navigraph subscription and fully up to date.

Also, did you request the transition you wanted from ATC? If you didn't he assigns you the one he wants which may be different from what you are expecting.

In the flight plan I did request the VOR ILS DME Rwy 23, but there are not STARs for Inverness, so no transition could be selected.

On 8/6/2022 at 1:25 PM, MDFlier said:

The answer to both questions is most likely, "yes". 😎

I'm a neophyte - and writing here to be schooled - so I'm sure you are right 🙂

• Like 1

On 8/6/2022 at 3:13 PM, sd_flyer said:

Yes you are missing something obvious! Don’t use default ATC. Lol I have never used default ATC in any sim including P3D, XP, FSX. Simple reason they not good .

Try real life controller VTSIM, Pilot Edge or other network 

I'm working my way up to VATSIM 🙂

I've done a couple of flights on VATSIM and ended up needing a shower after both, so decided to practice for a bit longer.

• Like 2

On 8/6/2022 at 5:30 PM, Sky_Pilot071 said:

MSFS ATC is good enough.  If you want to use a 3rd party option.  The mindless ATC whipping needs to stop.

sp

My apologies - I've clearly walked into a tense bar 🙂 on this one, but I'm even more open to being wrong than the ATC being wrong. For example, I had missed that the MSA from the SW was indeed 5000', so the altitude makes sense (although it would make for an interesting FPA given how close I was getting to INS).

But especially the 40 radial instruction puzzled me - when Navigraph had updated MSFS and the radial is clearly 41, not 40.... and I can't find any other approach that uses 40th radial, so it's not like it's stuck me on non-expected approach.

On 8/6/2022 at 6:47 PM, Alvega said:

Why do you guys keep using the OP's thread where he asks for help with a specific situation to your discussion about ATC? I don't get it. Don't you see this is off-topic? Even a mod here?

No wonder he doesn't come back to the thread. Shame on you.

If it was my thread I would be really word not allowed off.

Not a problem for me, FWIW - I'm relatively new to simming, so reading everyone's opinions is actually quite interesting. My late return to the thread is more about having 4 kids and it being the weekend, so unfortunately this would have to wait till next "post bed time" moment 🙂

On 8/6/2022 at 7:31 PM, icewater5 said:

lol

well heres a clue for you, just that starting a thread about msfs2020 atc and crack cocaine combined was never going to end that good 🙂

just my humble opinion

LOL - well, I could have chosen a more diplomatic title for my first ever thread, granted. Next time, I'll stick to class C drug references only 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sunbeam60 said:

Ahh, yes! I had missed that ... though it does make me wonder why the approach starts at 4000' if the MSA in all bar 0-90 degrees is higher than 4000'.

Yup, active navigraph subscription and fully up to date.

In the flight plan I did request the VOR ILS DME Rwy 23, but there are not STARs for Inverness, so no transition could be selected.

Yeah, you are right. Don't know where it is getting that 40 radial from. Strange.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White