Sign in to follow this  
duckbilled

AA through FSX or Driver Control Panel?

What's the consensus regarding AA application in FSX?Forcing 4x AA in my CCC with the AA checkbox unticked in FSX doesn't look as good to me as leaving the driver to application controlled and checking AA box in FSX.Any opinions which is better? (performance and visual)Thanks, Glenn

Guest RonB49

Hi Glenn,I've tried it both ways and currently let FSX control both AA and AF. I believe overall perfromance is better this way. But, I may change back to graphics card control tomorrow. Who knows? What I'm saying is that I'm not sure that there is much difference in my case.R-

Guest Arlei

Hey all,Sorry for jumping on this topic, but I have a problem with AA and maybe you guys can help me.My problem is that I can't use anti alias in full screen mode, only in windowed mode.Whenever I try to enable AA inside FSX, the screen gets messed up. I mean REALLY messed up. You can't see anything besides a lot of horizontal lines in different colors going up and down on the screen.I have tried a lot of different drivers, have updated the DirectX version, everything...Do you guys have any suggestion on this?Thanks in advance

I let FSX control both AA and AF. At least for right now.It seems like that works better on my system. The rain looks better for sure that way.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

It has been notedthat letting FSX handle both AA and Anisotropic filtering will supposedly let the GPU have more cycles to handle the scenery. I have it set that way and it seems to function better overall.Just MHO,VicVisit the Virtual Pilot's Centerwww.flightadventures.comhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Proud SupporterRadar Contact Supporter: http://www.jdtllc.com/

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I have found that AA only works if it is controlled by FSX and AF only works if it is controlled by the driver.What about adaptive AA? If I enable it with the driver but let FSX manage my AA, will I get adaptive AA?

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

>It has been notedthat letting FSX handle both AA and>Anisotropic filtering will supposedly let the GPU have more>cycles to handle the scenery. I have it set that way and it>seems to function better overall.>>Just MHO,>>Vic>>I've tried this tonight, I agree that AA and AF in FSX seems to run the sim a tad better. The only thing I see is I got a few jaggies on the ground at Seattle but once airborne it all went away.

I have found that AA through my Nvidia 8800 looks much better than in the config section, though I may have them both on come to think of it. The shimmering has been completely removed this way. Since FSX is mainly CPU dependent, I figure I should let the card do some of the work.MG

To throw another one into the mix, I force 4x AA and 16x AF through the CCC. In FSX I have the AA checkbox ticked and anistropic selected. Although my system is not the new kid on the block I am highly satisfied with the performance and quality with these settingsAsus P5GD1 ProP4 3 GhzRadeon X800 GTO

Hi allNow that we are on this subject: Setting Filtering to NONE seems to override whatever you set it to in the driver. That is, you get NO filtering even if AF=8 is set in the driver (ATI CAT 7.5 on XT1950 PRO).Have you guys seen this too?BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH

Have been using FSX controlled. It appears to give better results especially less blurries than allowing the card control.Carl

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________