Sign in to follow this  
Daveo

"Expect runway 25R on arrival"

Guest pdxbulldog

One of the things that has frustrated is the amount of time it takes to find out what the active is likely to be when you get to your destination. Changing airports is just about the only really accurate way to go about that, and with FSX or FS9 load times, can be a bit or a chore. How hard would it be to add just one more line to the clearance delivery script to say "expect runway (active at destination) on arrival" so you could at least be thinking about what to plug into the Garmin or the FMC. I know that this is what is often used in real life as I've heard the delivery on occasion on Channel 9 on UAL. Just a thought. Colin in Portland

In the real world, you need to know all the likely alternatives but that's too onerous for FSX. I just set the wind at destination so I have a fair idea which runways are active, and then decline the clearance given if it does not suit my intentions and ask for another. You can get an idea of which transitions are available at any given airport from the GPS.Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

there is an addon utlity in the file library which you can use, you just punch in the ICAO code of the airport enroute and it will give you the weather conditions are the airport, based on the winds then you would know most likely which runways are in use.

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Guest radivil

You can get an idea of>which transitions are available at any given airport from the>GPS.The worst is when you get there and the ATC doesn't give you anything other than Vector to Finals. Denver and Toronto wouldn't let me pick anything useful and I hate zigzagging all over the country.

Guest RonB49

>there is an addon utlity in the file library which you can>use, you just punch in the ICAO code of the airport enroute>and it will give you the weather conditions are the airport,>based on the winds then you would know most likely which>runways are in use.Do you know the name of this file? I must have missed it. R-

>>Do you know the name of this file? I must have missed it. >R-It makes two of us. Anyone else? :)Thanks.

Guest s0436

I'm surprised EditVoicePack hasn't found a way to add that to the voice pack, seeing as FS knows what arrival runway you will be landing at when you load up the flight at the departure airport (unless you change course yourself of course).

Guest PARADISE

For FS9 the file name is 'awis.zip' here at Avsim. I din't know if it will work for XJohn M

Try tuning ATIS :-)

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Thanks for the info about that FS9 utility. At the moment, I use active sky to determine what runway is in use by fetching the weather report for the destination, and update it a few times enroute. Its a bit of a pain switching windows to do this though! In the real world, most pilots don't know what runway to expect, especially on long haul flights, as the winds fluctuate quite a degree over a an 8 hour flight! Edit: I've just tested the information between that program and active sky. Unfortunately they don't match. The active sky download information seems to be an hour older than the TAF report on that program... oh well, just have to keep pressing tab+alt!!!

In my rw Ga ifr flying-you estimate/best guess the runway by the surface wind forecast before the flight. As you procede you get the weather reports from ground stations as you go to keep an eye on changing conditions(and if you have xm weather like me check that).You will usually get the active runway from the atis-or if handed off to an initial approach controller they will sometimes give it to you. If you are contantly checking the winds enroute your estimate will be good most of the time...and then after getting all mentally prepared and everything set up you may get a different runway anyway-sometimes even late into the game.I had one a year ago flying from St. Pete to Sarasota at night-a flight of 10 minutes in my Baron. We got everything set up on the ground including listening to the atis, setting the ils approach freqs. etc. After taking off and heading towards the expected runway Sarasota called us and said they didn't have the runway lights working and it would take about 6 minutes to get them going-to land on a vor approach the opposite direction. Leafing thru the approach plates with a flashlight, resetting up different freqs. when only minutes away can be quite challenging!http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

One thing that bugs me on some flights is it won't really let you select a new runway/approach.As an example, I was flying the lear from Dallasto Houston, and was given directions to 12L..But I wanted to shoot the ILS approach to 12R..When you do such a request, they will tell youto do a 12L approach and then sidestep over to 12R..That blows the whole point of shooting the ILS approach.. I think they should rig it to also change to the proper approach to the runway yourequest, rather than making you sidestep ontothe one you want.. Yes, I'm quite capable of doing the sidestep approach, but in some wx, I may want that ILSapproach for a good reason..MK

Hi,But you can do that, you know: You just have to decline BOTH the approach and the runway one at a time. And I think it may be important what you do first, but I'm not sure of that.But it can be done!HTH & BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH

Guest PARADISE

Request the new runway first, then request the approach to that runway. As stated earlier, you will have to deny the first request for a side step.Another method is to request the approach starting at a transition fix, if available, rather then radar vectors to final. This does take some planning and minimal knowledge of STAR procedures, but with a little practice can make the arrival procedures to the runway much more realistic and you can avoid conflicting traffic on approach, thus minimizing the chance of go-arounds.John M

Cool... I'll try that out. I'd never tried declining...MK