Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Great Site for checking Metars.

6 hours ago, jcomm said:

It's nice and I sometimes use it too, but it's been ages Skyvector.com is been doing the same... :

https://www.skyvector.com

I just use sky vector as well...hover your mouse over the dots to read the metar. USA only I believe.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

2 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

I just use sky vector as well...hover your mouse over the dots to read the metar. USA only I believe.

It's for the whole World Ryan. Over the mouse over any station and read the associated METAR / TAF. Same applies to SIGMET areas but to read the associated report you have to click over the area.

The site Bob linked in the OP has the advantage of clearly showing rw in use.

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I was not aware that SkyVector had this capability.  There are a lot of great sites out there, but I still use a tool created back in the days of Fly! called Infometar.  It allows me to place my flight track on the map and see all of the metar stations and data on my route.  I still use it today.

Now that I see SkyVector can do this and more I may swirch over to it (though I'm not sure how to export a plan from SkyVector into FS2020 or Navigraph like I currently do with Simbrief?

• Like 1

Randall Rocke

Just to be clear with regard to Skyvector, hovering the mouse over the airport works as indicated, but first you need to go to the Layers tab titled "Weather" and click on "Text Weather". There are lots of other selections available, including winds aloft, and weather radar/satelllite maps. Lots of info in a compact graphical format.

Edited by jrw4

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

I use Flight Sim First Officer - similar to FS2Crew.  It has a handy Metar for the dep and arr airports.

FSFO-Metar.png

I also use RealVolMet Europe which will speak the report if you so wish.

Real-Vol-Met-europe.png

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

I just use little nav map. Since I already have it open for the map either way.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RandallR said:

I was not aware that SkyVector had this capability.  There are a lot of great sites out there, but I still use a tool created back in the days of Fly! called Infometar.  It allows me to place my flight track on the map and see all of the metar stations and data on my route.  I still use it today.

Now that I see SkyVector can do this and more I may swirch over to it (though I'm not sure how to export a plan from SkyVector into FS2020 or Navigraph like I currently do with Simbrief?

@RandalL, thx for reviving my memmories of InfoMETAR and Fly ! + Fly ! 2 !!!

InfoMETAR was actually the inspiration for our ( Portuguese MetOffice ) Aviation Weather Self Briefing system with it's wide and narrow route corridors pushing in all of the relevant weather data.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

9 hours ago, jcomm said:

InfoMETAR was actually the inspiration for our ( Portuguese MetOffice ) Aviation Weather Self Briefing system with it's wide and narrow route corridors pushing in all of the relevant weather data.

Ironically, I have been exchanging e-mails with Infometar creator David Sandberg in the last few days while we've been posting here about metar reporting systems.  He is not coding anymore and actually uses SkyVector himself these days for flight-planning.  I told him that I still use Infometar for quick-planning to instantly see the current weather along my planned flight route (without having to select airways).

I will certainly begin using SkyVector more considering its wealth of information (and when I have time for more in-depth planning).

Randall Rocke

1 hour ago, RandallR said:

I will certainly begin using SkyVector more considering its wealth of information (and when I have time for more in-depth planning).

It's indeed a great tool that has evolved since it first became available 16 years ago . I don't have a paid license access to get additional layers of data, but at the MetOffice we have 🙂

The SIGMET  visualization is also valuable. Adding GAMETs to it would be even better 🙂

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

I just use windy.

• Like 1

Running i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz - 32GB DDR4 3200mhz - GTX 3070.

On 8/9/2022 at 2:14 PM, VBHB said:

I just use windy.

PHLirYv.jpeg

Windy is just awesome!

Expecially love the option to save favourites and get airport information real quick.

There are several ways to check Metar as already discussed.  Personally I use Volanta because most of my flights are in the big iron and when you load FP it shows Metar at both ends.  But sometimes I use this - LSMD | Weather Report, METAR, TAF, Airport Data | E6BX  

It has the added bonus of telling you what each element of the Metar actually means, this is great for those new to reading raw data Metar as well.

Thomas Derbyshire