Sign in to follow this  
Sethos

X-Plane 12 on 'Short Final'

9 hours ago, strider1 said:

Early fifties I think. Austin is way to enthusiastic and passionate to retire anytime soon! 

A pity. I wish he would sell it to some one less stuck in the past.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

The problem is whether the bugs, and more importantly, any performance issues can or will ever be fixed and how quickly. I will give the trial a go. Performance remains my primary concern but the trial won't give any indication on how all the inevitable necessary addons and third party planes  will effect fps? Mind you, the Vulkan beta was great fun but it was free.

I think performance has always been a staple of X-Plane, especially frametimes, which are very important in flight sim. As in, not the most FPS, but the most stable. I completely trust them with adding new "eye candy" but with a firm grip on performance. One thing of note, Macs have become extremely powerful since the introduction of the M1, so a lot more people will now enjoy high performance (all people with new M1 Max and Ultra chips). Here's a good read:

https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2022-apple-silicon-face-off-m1-ultra-and-m1-max-take-on-high-end-pc-hardware

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

6 minutes ago, Colonel X said:

I think performance has always been a staple of X-Plane, especially frametimes, which are very important in flight sim. As in, not the most FPS, but the most stable. I completely trust them with adding new "eye candy" but with a firm grip on performance. One thing of note, Macs have become extremely powerful since the introduction of the M1, so a lot more people will now enjoy high performance (all people with new M1 Max and Ultra chips). Here's a good read:

https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2022-apple-silicon-face-off-m1-ultra-and-m1-max-take-on-high-end-pc-hardware

Unfortunately I do not have a Mac. Nor do I want one. I just hope they haven't just lumped the extra eye candy on top of the existing code. 

2 hours ago, jarmstro said:

Unfortunately I do not have a Mac. Nor do I want one. I just hope they haven't just lumped the extra eye candy on top of the existing code. 

Of course they haven't. Process is slow and scope is limited at Laminar as it's a small team. There's no lack of talent and integrity however.

-

10 hours ago, jarmstro said:

Unfortunately I do not have a Mac. Nor do I want one.

This, actually, is probably the area I expect to see some of the biggest disagreements emerge once the 12 bomb drops, because it is entirely possible that windows becomes the minority OS for XP once it does.

Based entirely on there being significantly more mac machines out in the world now that can run xplane 12 well, compared to windows machines that can run it at all.

Its not going to matter much to those who are passionate enough to have bought themselves a divorce rig, but for the vast majority who didnt the damage to windows reputation when an $1000 macbook air can smash it and a $3000 dell xps13 cant even start it - has the potential to have a significant impact on peoples perceptions - IMHO.

Edited by mSparks
  • Like 1

AutoATC Developer

10 hours ago, jarmstro said:

Than you will have something new to complain about. But hes about flight simming not tourism.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, jarmstro said:

He's made it clear recently that Ben is the primary block to frequent upgrades. Ben's also the one who directs the eye candy generation. I've lost track of the number of times Austin has recently said something like "I don't like how the lighting doesn't update here, but Ben explained that...." or similar.

It's a good thing Ben's there though. He jumped on the Vulkan train early on. That was a brilliant move. There aren't many out there like him and Sidney who were able/willing to tackle that one so early in its existence. DX12 would have been a disaster for LR.

• Like 1

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

4 hours ago, blingthinger said:

It's a good thing Ben's there though. He jumped on the Vulkan train early on. That was a brilliant move. There aren't many out there like him and Sidney who were able/willing to tackle that one so early in its existence. DX12 would have been a disaster for LR.

Yes they have made some good decisions. Just crossing my fingers they can tackle the AA issues.

• Like 1

-

13 hours ago, mSparks said:

This, actually, is probably the area I expect to see some of the biggest disagreements emerge once the 12 bomb drops, because it is entirely possible that windows becomes the minority OS for XP once it does.

Based entirely on there being significantly more mac machines out in the world now that can run xplane 12 well, compared to windows machines that can run it at all.

Its not going to matter much to those who are passionate enough to have bought themselves a divorce rig, but for the vast majority who didnt the damage to windows reputation when an $1000 macbook air can smash it and a $3000 dell xps13 cant even start it - has the potential to have a significant impact on peoples perceptions - IMHO.

Why, then, are LR bothering with Windows? Why don't they just make XP exclusive to Apple and Linux? What is the reason? I know the reason but do you? (Hint..By the way, my wife uses a Mac but I very much doubt that she will buy XP12.)

Edited by jarmstro
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

Why, then, are LR bothering with Windows?

What makes you think they bother with windows?

Rather than more a situation, similar to say, your local radio station being bothered what car you drive while you listen to them?

AutoATC Developer

2 minutes ago, mSparks said:

What makes you think they bother with windows?

Rather than more a situation, similar to say, your local radio station being bothered what car you drive while you listen to them?

Not an answer Sparks. I will rephrase with regard to your previous post: Why are LR, apparently, making  XP12 compatible with Windows? As I said, I know the answer but do you?

• Like 1

Just now, jarmstro said:

Not an answer Sparks. I will rephrase with regard to your previous post: Why are LR, apparently, making  XP12 compatible with Windows? As I said, I know the answer but do you?

I completely reject your assertion that they put any significantly meaningful developer time into "making XP12 compatible with Windows".

That sort of thing may hold up and take significant portions of their competitions time over building a great flight sim. LR never have.

Exactly that decision is why XP12 is going to be incompatible with 80% odd of windows machines.

AutoATC Developer

3 minutes ago, mSparks said:

I completely reject your assertion that they put any significantly meaningful developer time into "making XP12 compatible with Windows".

That sort of thing may hold up and take significant portions of their competitions time over building a great flight sim. LR never have.

Exactly that decision is why XP12 is going to be incompatible with 80% odd of windows machines.

Hmm..Actually I made no such assertion and I am quite prepared to believe, as you say, that LR have put no meaningful development time into making XP12 run well in Windows. At least there is going to be a trial.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

Hmm..Actually I made no such assertion and I am quite prepared to believe, as you say, that LR have put no meaningful development time into making XP12 run well in Windows. At least there is going to be a trial.

You said / asked

19 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

Why are LR, apparently, making  XP12 compatible with Windows?

I pointed out they arent in the slightest doing any such thing. It is apparently going to be incompatible with most windows machines, which I expect to ruffle a lot of feathers. (and likely send people out shopping when they see what they are missing out on)

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

10 minutes ago, mSparks said:

You said 

I pointed out they arent in the slightest doing any such thing. Its going to be incompatible with most windows machines.

What? Yes I know what you said.😀

21 minutes ago, mSparks said:

It's fine with me. It's an Apple and Linux only sim unless you are prepared to accept a slide show and no support moving into the future.

Edited by jarmstro
  • Like 1