Sign in to follow this  
aceridgey

Does MSFS accurately simulate wet runways?

I can't find any detail on this, but does MSFS simulate this? 

In simple words, would take-off distance and braking action be dependant on weather in the sim?

Cheers!

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

44 minutes ago, aceridgey said:

I can't find any detail on this, but does MSFS simulate this? 

In simple words, would take-off distance and braking action be dependant on weather in the sim?

Cheers!

Doubt it... one issue that might be affecting such feature is the fact that aprons/runways will be absolutely dry 30 seconds from the moment rain stopped.  

• Upvote 1

Roi Ben

Dunno, yesterday i had a flight from keflavik, and it was raining, or snowing, not sure. When i was turning hard during taxi my plane started sliding sideways and it felt like I was on ice. Was using the milviz c310. Maybe it was a bug, but it sure felt like i was on ice..

12 minutes ago, Kaboki said:

Dunno, yesterday i had a flight from keflavik, and it was raining, or snowing, not sure. When i was turning hard during taxi my plane started sliding sideways and it felt like I was on ice. Was using the milviz c310. Maybe it was a bug, but it sure felt like i was on ice..

It's a well-known bug related to ground friction and resistance and has been known about since launch. And no Microsoft/Asobo haven't bothered to fix it yet.

Edited by TrafficPilot
  • Like 1

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

Thanks, good to know i encountered a bug, fist time I ever had it in 2 years..

You'll notice it predominantly during crosswind landings.I haven't seen it during landings in light wind or "wind straight down the runway" scenarios.

FSUK.jpg

15 minutes ago, TrafficPilot said:

And no Microsoft/Asobo haven't bothered to fix it yet.

That is a bit misleading. There have been multiple tweaks to help lessen the effect but a complete rewrite is needed to get it fully accurate and that has already started. You make it sound like Asobo has done nothing about it.

• Like 7

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

2 minutes ago, Krakin said:

That is a bit misleading. There have been multiple tweaks to help lessen the effect but a complete rewrite is needed to get it fully accurate and that has already started. You make it sound like Asobo has done nothing about it.

Have they done anything about it? I haven't noticed any difference so far.

I see various posts across forums claiming it will be fixed in SU10 but I tend to take those unofficial comments with a heavy pinch of salt:)

As you say a complete rewrite is needed. Or they could just use the settings from P3D and I'd be happy 🙂

FSUK.jpg

2 hours ago, TrafficPilot said:

Have they done anything about it? I haven't noticed any difference so far.

I see various posts across forums claiming it will be fixed in SU10 but I tend to take those unofficial comments with a heavy pinch of salt:)

As you say a complete rewrite is needed. Or they could just use the settings from P3D and I'd be happy 🙂

What settings from P3D,I hope not crappy looking scenery? 😉

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

2 hours ago, TrafficPilot said:

Well the SU10 Beta is out, and the beta testing forums are public. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Krakin said:

Nothing misleading about this at all.  Asobo haven't fixed ground friction and it's very doubtful they ever will; Microsoft sure didn't ever fix it during the 15+ year reign of FSX.   Correct ground friction physics don't sell Flight Simulator to 99 percent of the potential customer base.   A Halo Drop Ship?   You bet the Xbox crowd chirps loudly for stuff like that.   Money talks, but physics are best downplayed in the grand scheme of things.  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, hobart escin said:

Nothing misleading about this at all.  Asobo haven't fixed ground friction and it's very doubtful they ever will; Microsoft sure didn't ever fix it during the 15+ year reign of FSX.   Correct ground friction physics don't sell Flight Simulator to 99 percent of the potential customer base.   A Halo Drop Ship?   You bet the Xbox crowd chirps loudly for stuff like that.   Money talks, but physics are best downplayed in the grand scheme of things.  

Ugh! People like you are exhausting. Seb already acknowledged the issue, explained why it is happening and outlined what needs to and will be done to get it fixed. Get out of here with that "dumbed down for Xbox" tripe. Who cares what happened with FSX? The developer was disbanded two years in. Asobo is not the ACES team. It is not the same management. What happened then has zero to do with what is happening now.

• Like 12
  • Upvote 4

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

I find wet taxiways harder to turn on.

Edited by Tuskin38

Apart from Sebastien haveing mentioned that they're working on a surface-based, instead of single contact point for wheels, which will bring way more detailled ground physics for wheels and other types of gear, you can fin under:

Flight Model Physics (flightsimulator.com)

the following:

Several empirical/experimental tables are set in hard in the code to provide friction and braking coefficients Cside friction, Crolling resistance and Cbraking resistance depending on:

• the type of contact (eg: wheels, skids, scrape points, etc...)
  • the type of surface (eg: concrete, snow, grass, etc...)
  • the surface condition (eg: normal, wet, icy, etc...)

Ground Friction

Ground friction is simulated for aircraft within Microsoft Flight Simulator but is not currently available to be edited. It is based on a series of coefficient tables, from which we can extract the following information:

Friction Tarmac Low Speed Coefficient High Speed Coefficient
Tire static friction Dry 1.0 0.9
Tire dynamic friction Dry 0.8 0.7
Tire static friction Wet 0.6 0.54
Tire dynamic friction Wet 0.6 0.54

All coefficients are expressed as in the coulomb model:

Currently surfaces other than tarmac are not simulated in terms of friction. However, most other surfaces are considerably more bumpy, which in turn will automatically affect friction and braking distances just as in real life.

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

1 hour ago, hobart escin said:

Xbox crowd make much better student pilot material then biased stuck up simmers lol

• Like 8
  • Upvote 4

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI