Sign in to follow this  
TooLowTooSlow

Layman's terms please

Hola All, 

I believe some of you are developing liveries for your fav birds on MSFS 2020, and I would love to hear from you and finally understand why:

My Fenix A320 worked perfectly on Sunday, then today I installed a livery off flightim.to for my Piaggio 149 (dropped in Community folder of course). Flew my Piaggio happily for just under an hr before changing my mind for a quick hop in the Fenix instead. No such luck with that, Silly-Me.

The sim would ctd every time upon loading the Fenix A320. I removed the new Piaggio livery from my community folder and all is good once again 😁

Why does a livery for an old school trainer have a direct effect on the workings of a modern jetliner? And why can't the sim indicate where the incompatibility resides instead of a unhelpful ctd? It does baffle me quite a bit !!!

Anyone willing to give it a go, in layman's terms please?

Cheers,

2Low2Slow

I am speculating, but this is one possibility:

- the Piaggio 149 hasn't been updated in a while, I believe. Chances are the livery you use has not been changed either.

- Sometime in the last year or so, ASOBO changed the format of some configuration files. A very small change, I think you just cannot have a blank space at the end of a filename or so. I had problems with a livery myself, and after removing the space character, it worked again. My MSFS did crash because of that additional space.

- What could have happened to you: you start MSFS fine, then load the Piaggio and pick the livery. MSFS may have been fine with that since it didn't happen during launch.

- After that, the Piaggio livery is the plane that is automatically selected when you start MSFS. Since the livery is faulty and already in the memory, MSFS crashes when you try to start a flight.

- Removing the livery forces MSFS to fall back to the default airplane choice. Since the livery is not loaded anymore, MSFS doesn't crash.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, qqwertzde said:

- Sometime in the last year or so, ASOBO changed the format of some configuration files. A very small change, I think you just cannot have a blank space at the end of a filename or so. I had problems with a livery myself, and after removing the space character, it worked again. My MSFS did crash because of that additional space.

Which config file and filename?

Thanks for the explanation.

2 hours ago, TooLowTooSlow said:

Hola All, 

I believe some of you are developing liveries for your fav birds on MSFS 2020, and I would love to hear from you and finally understand why:

My Fenix A320 worked perfectly on Sunday, then today I installed a livery off flightim.to for my Piaggio 149 (dropped in Community folder of course). Flew my Piaggio happily for just under an hr before changing my mind for a quick hop in the Fenix instead. No such luck with that, Silly-Me.

The sim would ctd every time upon loading the Fenix A320. I removed the new Piaggio livery from my community folder and all is good once again 😁

Why does a livery for an old school trainer have a direct effect on the workings of a modern jetliner? And why can't the sim indicate where the incompatibility resides instead of a unhelpful ctd? It does baffle me quite a bit !!!

Anyone willing to give it a go, in layman's terms please?

Cheers,

2Low2Slow

Do you have AI traffic enabled with original models? If yes, than the sim will try to use the Piaggio as AI traffic which will then cause the CTD (if the Piaggio/the livery isn't up to date).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, hs118 said:

Which config file and filename?

Thanks for the explanation.

I am not 100% sure anymore, it happened more than half a year ago. I believe it was in the manifest.cfg file in the main folder of the livery. I can't check that right now since I don't have access to my flight sim PC for the next 1-2 weeks, sorry.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, qqwertzde said:

I am not 100% sure anymore, it happened more than half a year ago. I believe it was in the manifest.cfg file in the main folder of the livery. I can't check that right now since I don't have access to my flight sim PC for the next 1-2 weeks, sorry.

no worries. thanks for the info.