Sign in to follow this  
Benbo

CTD

Just a heads up Guys,i have never had a CTD for well over 6 months with P3Dv5,until this evening,dont know if its related (probably not) but the only thing i have changed on my PC is to update the Nvidia Driver to 516.94,nothing showed in the event viewer.

Gary Jones.

Edited by Benbo

Check in Event Viewer (Its a Windows app) it should tell you what caused the crash or point you to something.

Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Application. Look for "Errors".

Just now, Nocturnal said:

Check in Event Viewer (Its a Windows app) it should tell you what caused the crash or point you to something.

Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Application. Look for "Errors".

He posted that there were no entries in the Event Viewer.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

1 hour ago, pgde said:

He posted that there were no entries in the Event Viewer.

Oops missed that part, my bad.

6 hours ago, Benbo said:

Just a heads up Guys,i have never had a CTD for well over 6 months with P3Dv5,until this evening,dont know if its related (probably not) but the only thing i have changed on my PC is to update the Nvidia Driver to 516.94,nothing showed in the event viewer.

Gary Jones.

Did you think about deleting the Shaders folder?

Richard.

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

I had some CTDs recently too, whithout any notice in the eventviewer. But since I change scenery and aircraft in the running sim, I thought this is my fault. There is a problem sometimes clicking one two times too much with the mouse on a menu causing a ctd. Since P3D5.3 HF2 is long time unchanged, I suspect rather the environment than the sim itself, e.g. Windows 11 with the updates. Something we can hardly change only hope for the better.

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

Always a good idea to clear the P3D compiled shaders folder when GFX related items are updated, lest you end up with things like CTD or strange happenings like this pic shows.

It's the A2A 172 prior to clearing compiled shader cache.

2FC155A1EE9B8D713C23D4BDB34C67090B4F01F9

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

14 hours ago, Benbo said:

...but the only thing i have changed on my PC is to update the Nvidia Driver to 516.94

Gary, are you sure really? What was about Windows updates, because it was "Patchday". I suspect that many CTD´s rootcause base on WIndows itself. I can´t remember that i ever had a CTD in times of Windows 98 or XP. Sometimes there where bluescreens but very rare. Since MS introduced in Windows 7 a new architecture with user based settings, and the new roaming profiles etc. we started to get familar with those CTD´s. Most of them are caused by access violation on different MS components. This is driven by the security settings MS is setting for their system components. Especially the NET.Framework is involved in many CTD´s. The reason is just, that Windows is much too sensitive and paranoyic MS in case a program isn´t strictly following the security rules set in diffenrent tools and system data which are used by third party developers. If there is just something suspecious in the eyes of the WIndows system, a program just get terminated.

A good strategy in case of CTD´s is not to panic and re-install GPU-drivers, P3D, add-ons etc. immediatly and increase the mess. Better be patient and wait and try to use the SIM as usual. Only after a while, when CTD´s happen very frequently, the cause should be investigated very carefully. The last ever thing to do, is to re-install drivers, or P3D nor add-ons, as long you can´t say for sure their files are corrupted somehow.  

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

Hi Bernd,

Thanks for the advice the CTD occured when departing EDDM(which i do on a regular basis having Lufhansa as my VA)i have never in months flying out of EDDM had a CTD,yesterday changed that.I have installed the windows update which i didnt do yesterday,cleared my shaders and reinstalled the driver,i will try the flight again this evening

Gary.

4 hours ago, blaunarwal said:

I had some CTDs recently too, whithout any notice in the eventviewer. But since I change scenery and aircraft in the running sim, I thought this is my fault. There is a problem sometimes clicking one two times too much with the mouse on a menu causing a ctd. Since P3D5.3 HF2 is long time unchanged, I suspect rather the environment than the sim itself, e.g. Windows 11 with the updates. Something we can hardly change only hope for the better.

exactly! In fact most of the CTD´s are based just on very little access violations which are handled very strictly by Windows in Program termination.

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif