Sign in to follow this  
btacon

PMDG 737 Series Post LNAV Update Can’t Hold The Magenta Line

I have been flying the PMDG Boeings for many, many years now. I’m pretty adept at programming and setting the aircraft up to fly and I have hundreds if not thousands of hours to show it. My point here is I’m not new to these aircraft or their systems but ever since the LNAV are update for both the 600 & 700 I find that at least half of my flights will fly along as if everything is nominal when all of a sudden the LNAV will go into a left or right turn and do lazy circles around the magenta course line. Sometimes it’s it rejoins, often it does not. 

Anyone else, or is it just me?

-B

PMDG are going to do an overhaul of the LNAV logic for the 737 product line.   Wait - they just did an overhaul of LNAV logic with the release of the 600.  I'm sure you're just imagining the anomaly you're seeing or it's the fault of Navigraph data.   Wait - PMDG don't use Navigraph data since the LNAV overhaul, do they?   Hmmmm.   Probably, PMDG are going overhaul the LNAV logic that they just finished overhauling.  I'm getting a headache trying to keep everything straight.  

• Like 1

Plenty of flights in both the 737-700 and the 600 in the last week and I have not experienced this issue, or any others for that matter. Both aircraft seem to be performing properly for me, on my flights.

• Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11

Those "lazy circles" are an intermittent issue with the old LNAV logic.....

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Its an Asobo issue with navdata , RR. sarcasm runnig out now.

Edited by jbdbow1970

Haven't noticed anything similar apart from earlier today when I picked up my flight stick which disconnected the autopilot when it moved. Maybe post a route to see if it's something specific.

Intel Core i5-12600k, Nvidia RTX 2080 Super, 64 Gigs.

Have not noticed any deviations with the LNAV/VNAV on my flights. But im the type that wont close the doors till the entire flight plan is double checked and all waypoints are making sense and accounted for.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

I'm not flying the 737 yet.  I'm waiting for the 800.  I'm familiar with the 37 on P3d.  I've been flying the HD787 mod and I have that same issue.  The way it was explained to me on their discord  was that it was encountering a "dead zone".  Have no idea what that means.  They said that it was an ASOBO issue.

Gnacino

• Upvote 1

Yes, I've had this happen as well. But it is a random event and does not occur on every flight. For me, it seems to only happen at cruise. The oscillations can be quite extreme at times, forcing me to disconnect the AP and lightly steer manually to reacquire the course before engaging the AP again.

Edited by Bartolet7
  • Upvote 1

yesterday after I programmed the FMC with the wave points was flying from CYYZ to KDCA about two thirds into the flight it started going off course.  After the flight I closed the program and I had updates to install for Windows 10.  Would that throw the 737 -600 off course ?

10700kf, 3080 nividia, 32gbs 3400mhz, 1,000 watts power, M.2 DVMe !tb, boot, 1tb 7200rpm, storage, windows 10 home

2 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Those "lazy circles" are an intermittent issue with the old LNAV logic.....

I know. I’ve been flying with the “old logic” for years but both of these planes have the LNAV V 2.0 code. As someone else posted here in response it’s random, not predictable but it does occur more than seldom for me at least. 

Currently stumped am I!

-B

FMA readout? Airspeed? AP still engaged [CMD displayed]? Is the AP disconnect on input option enabled? Also, have you checked on the PMDG forum?

If it's reproducible, you should certainly submit a support ticket.

EDIT By any chance have any of the Assist options become enabled in MSFS? They should all be off.

Edited by jrw4
As noted
  • Like 1

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

Interestingly, this was an issue in the early FSX versions of the PMDG birds...IIRC, it turned out that overreaction to the sim's turbulence effects was the culprit, and it was solved (mitigated) by turning those effects way down.  I wonder if it's the same gremlin reappearing on a different platform...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

1 minute ago, jrw4 said:

FMA readout? Airspeed? AP still engaged [CMD displayed]? Is the AP disconnect on input option enabled? Also, have you checked on the PMDG forum?

If it's reproducible, you should certainly submit a support ticket.

Howdy. Thanks for the good crumbs but I’m nominal on all those topics and the AP remains connected when this happens. I was hoping someone would say, “Oh yeah…when that happens check X and change Y, but alas not today!

next time t rears I ts head, I f ever again, I will try to gather as much system info at the time of occurrence and open a support ticket. 

Best,

-B