Sign in to follow this  
Bell417

Helicopters and IFR?

I recently filed an IFR flightplan and started the flight up using the default Bell 206 Jetranger with a full load of fuel and around 220 lbs of payload. After take off I contacted ATC and opened my IFR flight plan and even thought my selected cruising altitude was 1500' ATC wanted me to "JetRanger 64J, Climb and maintain 14000'(:-roll :-lol ). Expect clearence to 1500'." Acheiving that altitude in a JetRanger is close to, if not downright, impossible and I didn't have the patience to try. ;-) Why does ATC want me to go up to 14000'? Is there any way I can change this? Any and all ideas are welcome.

Guest JIMJAM

What is the highest elevation along your route?Even if I file,say 1500ft from Aspen to Denver, the sim will accept the flight plan.However, when you get clearance from Aspen which is, 8000 or so with higher mountains around,ATC will give you a altitude which is supoosed to be higher that expected for your route.Sorry if Im confusing but Im on my first cup of coffee.

I'm not sure what the highest altitude of the terrain was. I'll bet that was the problem. I will try changing the flight plan accordingly. Thanks.