Sign in to follow this  
Bill A

Those with a Nvidia 3070

19 hours ago, CaptainNick said:

Please enlighten the rest of the world as to how you came to this factual conclusion?

Ive read 74k+ posts here so it is pretty obious.

sp

27 minutes ago, Sky_Pilot071 said:

Ive read 74k+ posts here so it is pretty obious.

sp

So hearsay ?

That same logic applied to Social Media leads to the conclusion that Putin is saving us from Deep State paedophiles and the moon landing never happened.

Some facts and screens shots would be useful.  

Also -  assuming you spent on average 2 minutes per post it would take you 2 months to read 74,000 posts if you did nothing else 24 hours a day 7 days a week.  If true that is not very healthy.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

1440 resolution is the MSFS sweet spot.  Nothing can change that.

sp

Edited by Sky_Pilot071

I'm in the midst of trying to build an upgraded MSFS system and so am very interested in how one defines a sweet spot for this sim. Is a 30 inch 2K screen superior in some way to a 50 inch 4K, for example? Does 4K not look better than 2K due to sim limitations? I have tried to keep up with the various discussions on this forum and have to admit that I'm somewhat confused.

This is going to be fairly expensive no matter which way I go. I'm hoping to keep the system below $2K and can just about see how to do it if I'm satisfied with 1440 displays. Beyond that, costs seem to escalate significantly.

Many thanks in advance and best wishes to all.

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

3 hours ago, jrw4 said:

I'm in the midst of trying to build an upgraded MSFS system and so am very interested in how one defines a sweet spot for this sim. Is a 30 inch 2K screen superior in some way to a 50 inch 4K, for example? Does 4K not look better than 2K due to sim limitations? I have tried to keep up with the various discussions on this forum and have to admit that I'm somewhat confused.

This is going to be fairly expensive no matter which way I go. I'm hoping to keep the system below $2K and can just about see how to do it if I'm satisfied with 1440 displays. Beyond that, costs seem to escalate significantly.

Many thanks in advance and best wishes to all.

Really it is a very subjective issue. I will use my case as an example. I have a 55" 4K screen wall mounted that my head is 32-34" from when I use the computer. 1440 would be factually worse looking to the eyes at this distance, across that large of a screen. If I had say a 24" monitor then we can flip this argument a bit. It may be harder to tell the difference of the 4k resolution vs 1440 on a screen that small, especially at a distance.

• Like 1

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

3 hours ago, jrw4 said:

There are many, myself included, that are happy with a 1080p monitor... so 1440 would be a step up from that.

There are also many reports that a 4k monitor puts significant strain on a system with MSFS..

From that, I would conclude that if you are on a budget, going to 4k might introduce problems.. 😉

• Like 1

Bert

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

From that, I would conclude that if you are on a budget, going to 4k might introduce problems.. 😉

Absolutely.  If you then go for a Pimax or Varjo Aero instead of a 2D screen expect to double those problems.

In my case 1440p on a 32" screen with an i9 9900K and a RTX3070 is actually pretty optimal.  A 3060ti would probably perform as good and also some current 12th gen i5 apparently perform in game around the same as my older i9 .   Hence1440p is a good match for 12th gen i5/i7 with a 3060/3070 and importantly, all of those parts, 12th gen i5, RTX 3060/3070 and a 32" 1440p screen are all relatively affordable right now. 

In terms of a budget versus performance 4K is potentially going to need a 12th gen i7/i9 and minimum RTX 3080 to handle higher settings whereas1080p is going to work on almost anything (but will look bad on bigger screens up close)  so in that sense (money) 1440p with something like 3060/3070 may be indeed be a "sweet spot" cost wise .  But only in terms of bang per buck.

The 1080p is still an acceptable option on a low budget as it actually looks fine on smaller screens Meanwhile there are distinct benefits to going with a VR headset of a TV sized 4K screen if money is not a huge issue for you.

TLDNR --  what constitutes optimal or a sweet spot  depends on your available budget.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

The 3060ti has a TDP of 200 watts, runs 1440 very well (I have one), runs cool and quiet and relatively low cost.

Common sense and practicality is the rule of thumb for most folks these days.

And 1440 doesn't overtax MSFS too much.

sp

The 3060ti has a TDP of 200 watts, runs 1440 very well (I have one), runs cool and quiet and relatively low cost.

Common sense and practicality is the rule of thumb for most folks these days.

And 1440 doesn't overtax MSFS too much.

sp

I've been running 1440p upscaled to 4K on my native 4K OLED TV with DLSS with good results. 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Thanks everyone. This discussion has put things into perspective for me, quite literally. I don't have room for a screen larger than 30" anyway, so 4K is probably overkill in any case. My current system (i7-7700K, GTX 1080, 32 GB DDR-4/3000 MHz) runs the PMDG 737 adequately with few stutters on mostly medium graphics settings with locked 30fps. The thing that annoys me the most is that at HD resolution those CRT screens are at the edge of legibility when I'm sitting at 24 inches and in the normal pilot's position. The Fenix A320 would probably be right at the hairy edge, but I haven't tried it yet. 

So bottom line is that it sounds something like an i7-11700K, RTX 3070ti, 32GB DDR-4/3600 MHz) set up would be quite adequate at 1440 even with the more advanced tubeliners and give me some headroom for more advanced models in the future. Cyberpowerpc offers a such a system for under $1900 these days, and I think I could get the parts for $1500 if I wanted to put the thing together myself.

Thanks again.

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor