Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Heatwave 2! Send for Weathertron!

3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

With the estimated energy charges due in October you may feel very differently in a few months. Whilst the heat is uncomfortable it can be alleviated quite cheaply. Feet in bucket of cool water will help.

Gas central heating will be infinitely more expensive and unaffordable for many.

here.watch this and just think about the implications

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

It's been raining last couple of days, comfortable 74-77F/26C outside, AQI at 13-17 which is excellent.

Guys! The normal temp lapse rate is -2°C per 1,000 ft.  Just calculate from the current surface temp your comfortable flight altitude and go flying.... 20°C to 22°C is a good range.....  Fly, fly, fly until the heat wave is over....  

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

8 hours ago, james42 said:

I'm strange because I actually don't mind being cold. It has to be absolutely freezing before my heating goes on. I wear shorts almost all year round.

Wow! You are a rare breed. 😳

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

6 hours ago, sightseer said:

here.watch this and just think about the implications

Useful for countries that have abundant sunshine. Sadly, the British Isles isn’t one of them. I did invest in solar panels when I retired 8 years ago and am reaping the benefits. But storage in a battery was prohibitively expensive so I didn’t bother.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

10 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

74% after an extended dry spell sounds okay. 

Less than the 10 year average. We are being asked to conserve water. Not sure what sort of level they deem restrictions are required.

17 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Useful for countries that have abundant sunshine. Sadly, the British Isles isn’t one of them. I did invest in solar panels when I retired 8 years ago and am reaping the benefits. But storage in a battery was prohibitively expensive so I didn’t bother.

How much are you exporting to the grid Ray?

Powerwall's are expensive but high capacit. Powervault on the other hand is as low as 3000 quid.

In the US there are a lot of enthusiasts building their own batteries. Not sure if that's an option here though with our stringent regs. I guess a qualified electrician could sign it off and issue the required paperwork.

Edited by martin-w

10 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

With the estimated energy charges due in October you may feel very differently in a few months. Whilst the heat is uncomfortable it can be alleviated quite cheaply. Feet in bucket of cool water will help.

Gas central heating will be infinitely more expensive and unaffordable for many.

Meanwhile...

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/aug/02/big-oil-profits-energy-bills-windfall-tax

And British Gas profits hit 1.3 billion. 

Some of the estimates for just how high bills will get are frightening. 

Edited by martin-w

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

You're northerner that's why 🙂 lol unlike us soft southerners

• Like 1

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

How much are you exporting to the grid Ray?

Powerwall's are expensive but high capacit. Powervault on the other hand is as low as 3000 quid.

My 20 year contract started March 2014. I don't export back to the grid as such. As well as the FIT payment for direct generation I am also paid one third of the FIT rate for 50% of the energy generated.

I would never recoup the outlay for a battery. Being at home all day means as soon as the sun shines my consumption is pretty much free except during daytime Nov-Feb and after dark of course.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Indeed. I find anything under 22c needs a pullover these days. (But it might be just age!)

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

17 minutes ago, IanHarrison said:

Indeed. I find anything under 22c needs a pullover these days. (But it might be just age!)

23°C is my “sitting still in winter” comfortable temp.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

38 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

23°C is my “sitting still in winter” comfortable temp.

I used to set my thermostat in the UK relatively low to save money, so don't require a very warm house. Here, in a draughty cottage with dodgy old single glazed sash windows and minimal heating... its a whole new ball game.   

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

I used to set my thermostat in the UK relatively low to save money, so don't require a very warm house. Here, in a draughty cottage with dodgy old single glazed sash windows and minimal heating... its a whole new ball game.   

Is yours a property that has restrictions on what improvements can be made? Bad luck if so. Surely appropriate double glazed units must be permissible.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Is yours a property that has restrictions on what improvements can be made? Bad luck if so. Surely appropriate double glazed units must be permissible.

Nope, its rented.  Decent size for the price we pay, just  hasn't been refurbished. House purchase and rental are both very high here. Could do with better heating and double glazing. Electrics are safe but could do with rewiring to bring it up to latest 18th edition standard. 

500K gets you very little in terms of a house purchase. More expensive than London now.  Think its the same issue in Jersey where your relatives are. 

• Upvote 1