Sign in to follow this  
Virtual-Chris

Controlling Wing Lights with Bravo Button

Hi, I've got most of my lights setup using the buttons above the throttles on the Bravo... except the Wing Lights. All the other lights have events for off and on which makes it easy... button up is lights on, button down is lights off. Winglights only seems to have a toggle event.  Is there a way to make the Bravo button (which is really two buttons 44 and 45) toggle this event?  It seems if I have two entries for buttons 44 and 45 to do the same event (toggle Winglights), only one is recognized (e.g. 44) and the other is ignored (45).  I think the in-sim controls can do what I want (I can assign both buttons 44 and 45 to toggle the winglights) but was hoping for a more elegant solution that would have the sim match the active button at start up so the button and sim are not out of sync.

Edited by Virtual-Chris

8 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

Winglights

For which aircraft? This is probably different for all of them. What event did you use? What if you bind the toggle event both to key down and key up to button 44? I thought that the Bravo buttons are constantly "on" when pressed? (but I don't have that hardware)

5 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

I think the in-sim controls can do what I want

Unfortunatley the in-sim controls are a completely different module. AAO depends on the SimConnect API, and that cannot do the same things.

LORBY-SI

35 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

For which aircraft? This is probably different for all of them. What event did you use? What if you bind the toggle event both to key down and key up to button 44? I thought that the Bravo buttons are constantly "on" when pressed? (but I don't have that hardware)

Unfortunatley the in-sim controls are a completely different module. AAO depends on the SimConnect API, and that cannot do the same things.

Thanks for replying!

I’m doing it for the C208 but I believe it is the same on the Kodiak. It’s the only wing light event that comes up when you filter on “wing” in the basic section. Although maybe there is something I’ve overlooked for ice lights as I think that’s what they are called on the Kodiak… I’ll check that out.  The biggest challenge is always finding the right sim event.

And yes, the bravo buttons are constantly on when pressed.

Your suggestion for key down and up is something I will try tomorrow… didn’t think of that. 

As a side question… can AaOhs not have two buttons trigger the same event? I couldn’t seem to get both buttons 44 and 45 to toggle the lights, it seemed to trigger on one and ignore the other. It would be useful to know if this is how it works or if I’ve done something wrong. 

Edited by Virtual-Chris

36 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

As a side question… can AaOhs not have two buttons trigger the same event? I couldn’t seem to get both buttons 44 and 45 to toggle the lights, it seemed to trigger on one and ignore the other. It would be useful to know if this is how it works or if I’ve done something wrong. 

Sure it can. I think that this behavior is specific to the hardware. I don't have that equipment, but I assume that the "button" 44/45 is not recognized properly because it is not a button at all - it is a switch, with this "always on" configuration. I have a Saitek TPM with switches, those behave much the same way. Might be a good idea to designate the assignment as a switch too (lower left on the assignment dialog "Joystick: Switch")

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

1 hour ago, Virtual-Chris said:

It’s the only wing light event that comes up when you filter on “wing” in the basic section

Under "Undocumented" there are WING_LIGHTS_ON, WING_LIGHTS_OFF, WING_LIGHTS_SET events. And if you find out about an event that is not in the list, you can add it manually or wrap it into an RPN script. AAO doesn't have to know it to use it.

Plus, modded and addon aircraft mostly use entirely different methods, like LVars, HVars and BVars. Don't rely too much on the default events to do what you want - in many cases that will not work.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

12 hours ago, Lorby_SI said:

Under "Undocumented" there are WING_LIGHTS_ON, WING_LIGHTS_OFF, WING_LIGHTS_SET events. And if you find out about an event that is not in the list, you can add it manually or wrap it into an RPN script. AAO doesn't have to know it to use it.

Plus, modded and addon aircraft mostly use entirely different methods, like LVars, HVars and BVars. Don't rely too much on the default events to do what you want - in many cases that will not work.

I’m an word not allowed… not sure how I overlooked those on/off commands, although on my system they were under an Aircraft Electrical category. I didn’t see “undocumented” (but that’s not saying much LOL) 

Thank you very much for helping out. I’m super impressed with this app and your support. 

Cheers,

Chris. 

Edited by Virtual-Chris